Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Welcome, Newbies! Read this first!

apriliaforum expert
    well looks like Sig K is selling out his S5 06 im thinking i'll make offer or just buy outright since it seems the only scoot able to go like 50 K with minimal input its all done already etc im pretty much of the mindset if ya havent one o these in your stable youve missed something cant wait to have a nice un someday

apriliaforum newb
    To the Aprilia Beo Vets-I havea 2009 500ie & inside the panel it says to use 5-40-the mechanic put in 10-40mineral oil, it has 2600 miles-what is recommended right now at the mileage that it is at? As I wait for my own service manual from AF1 is checking the radiator a chore or is there a quick way to check the fluid levels??? Thanx Sincerely GDaly500
    Last edited by GDaly500; 01-28-2015 at 04:10 AM. Reason: punctuation

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by GDaly500 View Post
    To the Aprilia Beo Vets-I havea 2009 500ie & inside the panel it says to use 5-40-the mechanic put in 10-40mineral oil, it has 2600 miles-what is recommended right now at the mileage that it is at? As I wait for my own service manual from AF1 is checking the radiator a chore or is there a quick way to check the fluid levels??? Thanx Sincerely GDaly500
    Many of us, including myself, use Shell Rotella-T Synthetic 5w-40 (blue container, not white).

Changing the oil is the easiest service procedure performed on the Beo as it doesn't require panel removal.

Search this forum for hints.

OTOH, checking radiator level can only be done by removing the front panel (the one just above the front fender). Still, front panel removal is not much of a chore after you've done it once or twice -- four screws and push up on the panel to dis-engage the tabs. Hint - careful of the plastic tabs, I'm told that they are easily broken.

See

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ht=front+panel
    Last edited by clayfeet; 01-28-2015 at 10:48 AM.

ALSO... It is possible to use 10W40 in warm climates such as California. Mineral oil is also OK if it is a one time thing, and the oil meets or exceeds API SE/SJ spec. I wouldn't recommend either as a rule though. You'll spend a lot more for an engine rebuild than you will for Rotella T.
    -=[ Bill ]=-
    04 Silver S500 (GT now) #0278
    I brake for morons

Quote Originally Posted by IAGolem View Post
    Courtesy of steveford:

Here's a great bunch of youtube video's on the Scarabeo 500 Gt on taking apart different parts of the scooter. I've found these very useful when I changed out my voltage regulator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAGEd...63160303BA7F2C
    I just tried the above link and it didn't work. This link is another I just found and it should work. I haven't been on here for a while. These videos are very helpful, so I'm glad I checked and figured this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAGE...4BC611C2B5C0A4
    06 Beo 500GT 37500 miles
    01 Moto Guzzi California EV 120000 miles
    01 Moto Guzzi California EV 22000 miles
    79 Moto Guzzi V1000 Convert 60000 miles
    2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring 57000 miles

apriliaforum newb
    Ok, so I am a newbie, I read the recommended initial thread, and maybe saw a reference which may apply, but I am asking anyway, not to be annoying. I just bought an Atlantic 500 with 91 miles on it, I suppose you would sort of call it NOS, the former owner just put a fresh battery in it, it is running great. The EFI light is on, I put some fuel injector cleaner in hoping to clear it, have ridden it about 70 miles, it is still on, should I be concerned? I was going to get it to the dealer upon the oil change, the dealer is about an hour and a half away. I am in Vero Beach Florida btw.
    Last edited by Ohhirandy; 02-27-2017 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Bad grammar

apriliaforum expert
    Have the dealer run the VIN number to verify that the gas in oil issue has been taken care of. Some Atlantic's die an early death from oil pump failure due to the plastic gear that drives the oil pump dissolving when gasoline gets into the crankcase. There are a few fixes that need to be applied and a good dealer will be aware of them all. Be cautious not to overfill the gas tank and be sure to ride long enough to completely heat up the crankcase to ensure gasoline vapor does not condensate inside.

With 91 miles it may have the original tires and drive belt in it so be sure to verify that they are no more than 4 years old. A thorough flush of the brake fluid and coolant will be advisable too along with of course the engine and gear oil.

If Immobilizer equipped be sure to get spare keys and never ride with the master since once you break it you can face some costly and time consuming effort to get a new one matched up to the system.

The EFI Light many times is from low fuel pressure so you may need to give it some time for the cleaner to work in however the fuel pump and pressure regulator may need attention.

Now after telling you to ride it long enough to ensure no fuel condensates in the crankcase I am going to say - Don't ride it any more until you thoroughly have the high pressure fuel lines checked for rot, cracks, leaks, bulges, etc.

Are there any raw gasoline odors indicating fuel system leaks? You are working with a bike that's almost 15 years old now with less than 100 miles on it so extreme caution is advisable before riding it too much. In Florida you really have to be careful with old unused bikes and their fuel systems otherwise you could end up on fire from rotting hoses and failing connections.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123