Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Welcome, Newbies! Read this first!

Quote Originally Posted by robert love View Post
    thanks for sharing this.I hope to lean a lot more so i can get the most out of riding. have you ever had any one ask why the 06 Aprilia scarbeo 500 burns oil? the shop could not tell me.there were no drips or oil in the pan or cover?

what do you think about riding the bike every day?after all this is why i bought it. I was told it would hold up just as good as any other scooter or bike with good up keep.
    There's a "U"-shaped sump made of tubing under the air filter chamber; check that. Aside from that, about the only thing left is rings...
    -=[ Bill ]=-
    04 Silver S500 (GT now) #0278
    I brake for morons

apriliaforum newb

It's me...Floydy15. I keep killing Batteries

Hey guys and gals. Haven't been here in awhile. Here's my question. I keep replacing batteries. I recently installed a new voltage regulator as the original one was over charging. The voltage on my dash reads 11.2 at idle. When I crack the throttle the voltage goes up to 13.6 to 14.0 but very slowly. I keep killing batteries. Anyone know what it could be? Happy New Year to all!

apriliaforum newb

Talking In line ECU Auto-tuner for '08 sc 500ie

Greetings lads (& lasses), i am the proud new owner of a new Rubino Red '08 Scarabeo 500 & new also to this forum. I was fortunate enough reading all your great input b4 buying a scoot, & the Mill Creek, Wa dude was full of praise for the crew @ Moto International in Seattle & I have got to know them just a bit. They are really great folks, Dave the owner found me a dealer returned '08 & sold it to me for 3900 + change; under 5K w/ T&L for a brand new 500. I am so stoked! I took my wife up there & got her a SC 100 for our 30th Anniversary, & she got sneaky & scored the 500 for a Christmas/anniversary suprise. Anyway, I cant leave anything alone for long & have begun altering some stock features as I have seen here and have a Q about the ecu. I have made a real clean intake set-up with a 1 1/4" pvc 45 & an ABS street 90 to a K&N RC-2900 rectangular conical filter. It has an offset inlet that allows optimum positioning for my liking as well. So my question is once the exhaust is opened up (open to ideas or used stuff u may have) to match the enhanced intake, it will be running lean enough to cause damage without altering/re-mapping/adding an inline auto-tuner of some sort. What experience have any of u had with this sort of mod & the solutions available? I haven't had an original thought for decades now & the start I've made is due to what I see & read here, so surely someone can suggest a solution! Thanks a ton to each of you and the experience I have read & gained from! Regards, Martin (soon 2 b 'thumper1')

apriliaforum newb

Smile Parts exchange?

Greetings fellow beo owners, this is my second post as I am a new '08 500ie owner. I am having a ball reading all your collected wisdom and 'personalizing' shall we call it, my scoot. Winter riding is not my choice so it's time to fool with it & enjoy owning such a great machine & learn its strengths & weaknesses from you all and tweak a bit. I have had a disdain for the stock silencer can from the getgo, and not wanting to part with 350 for the Gianelli, went to the local bent bike with my beastly can & found several hundred banged up rusted used cans & amoungst them all was a Sportster stock exhaust in like new shape, same inlet ID, proper length and significantly reduced diameter. I found it has much less backpressure and a great note for 40$ I couldn't be more pleased. I have deleted the airbox and added a K&N, so with an Innovative L1 o2 wide band tuner I should be ok & get some return. I messed up my header attempting to add the o2 bung & was wondering if anyone has one to sell/trade for another part. I have the new/old exhaust can, airbox, emissions crap from under the seat and stock licsense plate frame/holder to offer as a trade or whatever, if you have a header I'd love to swap or horse trade with you. I will post pics and complete report on what I have done to add my .02 to this great site. Scoot has 39 mi. so the parts are new. Thanks a ton for all your info, I can't wait to get the current stuff done to show you! Martin

apriliaforum newb

Up a creek!

Hi all, I got myself into a jam & wondered if anyone of you vets has a solution. I am new to this forum, & have not had a bike for 10 years, however this is my 9th or thereabouts. 2 years ago I built a cold air intake, modded the exhaust w/headers, re-located o2's & remapped my wifes 2000 Boxster S with great success. Cost a bit, but it runs really strong. So...when I got this awesome 500ie scooter, me looks @ the intake & think 'shit, I am SOOOO smart, I can delete that dumb air box for some ponies, put a lighter, less BP exhaust & be really hip slick & cool' Sounds great! So I rework the intake with a K&N rc-2900 filter, found a great exhaust @ a local bent bike (a harley sportster 'shorty' that was a simple install; same length, inlet ID, much smaller dia/wt & sounds great with way less BP) in new condition for 40 bucks & I'm good. Now all I have to do is handle the lean situation I'm faced with now that this strom is ripping thru the head I'm a clam @ hi tide. Well tough guy, not so fast, it's not out there (from my search thus far) & I'm reluctant to re-install the stock Air choker. I whacked the snorkel for an adapter part besides. Does anyone have a friend of a friend or any resources for an auto tuner with an o2 sensor to get where I want to go? Or am I SOL. Please offer any solutions u may have & spare me your critical bent if that's your best input! Sorry, but I get tired of reading how the next owner will not want the modded unit. I love Peter's rear fender, bar end mirrors, & trick paint of others. I like the custom look & could care less what the next guy wants! I would buy or trade for a snorkel if anyone has 1 BTW, (I have no use for the stock silencer can for example) Cheers! Mdimant

Oil/Oil Filters

The topic of oil and filters comes up periodically. so here goes.

Oil: Aprilia specifies 5W40 full synthetic oil that meets or exceeds API SJ. Any oil later in the spec series (like SK, SL, etc.) will satisfy the requirement. Members report using 10W40; I've seen reports from auto manufacturers that 10W40 is OK if the temperature stays above freezing. The brand of oil is up to you. The overwhelming majority of members report using full synthetic. Use the correct amount of oil (1500-1700 cc), and check/change the oil on the center stand for accurate readings. Don't forget to clean the screen behind the oil drain plug.

Oil Filters: OEM (and the aftermarket HIFLO 184) can get pricey, but are completely safe to use. Alternative automotive filters are available; use them at your own risk. Here are a few links to get you started:
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=12763
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=29799
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=157766
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=185846
    And a nice comprehensive overview:
    http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Consumables.html

The biggest problem is the center stand denting a "taller" filter on retraction. Alternate fixes: use a shorter filter or add shims/washers under the center stand.

-=[ Bill ]=-
    I brake for morons

And when you finally do an oil change, here's how to reset the reminder (the annoying little "wrench" icon that flashes at you):

- Turn the ignition ON; your dashboard comes to life.
    - Press the MODE button (left handlebar) until "Service Mileage" or similar shows in the window.
    - Turn the ignition OFF.
    ===> Note: You may want to enlist a friend/random passerby for the next step. Don't release the buttons until you're done!
    - Press and HOLD both the MODE and RESET buttons at the same time; then turn the ignition to ON.
    - Stare at the window until the number turns to "4400" (less than 30 seconds).
    - Release the buttons - you're done! Go ride some more.
    -=[ Bill ]=-
    I brake for morons

Coolant Change Tips

A couple of things about changing the coolant (manufacturer recommended every other year or so; check condition annually). You'll need to remove body tupperware to do this properly.

- You can use any brand of good quality automotive coolant. If you want to spend extra cash on "extra special super duper motorcycle coolant" go right ahead, but it's essentially the same basic formula and does the same thing as the Walmart stuff.

- Use only nitrite-free coolant. This is so-called "universal" antifreeze ("compatible with all coolant types" should be somewhere on the label). I recommend using premixed 50/50 antifreeze to avoid mineralized water use and over-concentration/dilution worries.

- Loosen/remove the intake and output hoses on the water pump to drain the system. This would be a good time to inspect the hoses and replace the OEM hose clamps with screw-type if necessary. DON'T OVERTIGHTEN THE CLAMPS! Torque is 3Nm (2.2 ft/lb). Some folks recommend using aircraft-grade screw clamps if you can get them.

- Bleed the system after re-tightening the hoses and replacing the coolant to remove trapped air. Do this by loosening the bleeder valve at the top of the engine after adding a hose over the nipple for drainage. Top off the coolant reservoir as necessary after you're done.

Vernon also has some good additional insights:

The best process (per the service manual as I remember) to bleed the system is to run a "clear" hose from the bleeder valve on top of the head to the overflow tank while the engine is running. When bubbles stop running through the "clear" hose, you have the system bled.

It's best to let the engine get hot enough to have the thermostat open when bleeding the cooling system. Therefore, the hose does get a bit warm at the press fit over the bleeder valve and one does need to be a tad bit cautious in handling it, but not a problem really. One also needs to watch the hose connection to the bleeder valve so it does not come off during the bleeding process or you will loose coolant

I've got an assortment of clear motorcycle fuel line and used the one that was the best fit over the bleeder valve, cut to proper length. If I had to guess I would think 3/16" might be it, but could be 1/4" also.

Also, note there is a "new" superseded part for the plastic water pump housing that is more robust than the one originally used on my 2007 500ie. AF1 shipped one to me promptly when I replaced my "broken" housing. No leaks since then!!!

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ear-water-pump
    -=[ Bill ]=-
    I brake for morons

apriliaforum expert
    Ive extensive pictures of all this and More Im trying to organize into some sort of Make sense Album Hid lites to Seat upholstery tear down , volt reg mod etc

EBC brake part numbers (stainless rotors)

From tomd (edited for clarity):

"Front Rotors MD952D; 2 rotors (260 mm) @ $38 or so each....
    "Rear Rotor MD990D: 1 rotor (220 mm) @ $38 or so

"Brake Pads:
    "Front: FA256; I use HH. 2 sets (4 plates)
    "Rear: FA298 1 set (2 plates)"

I agree with Tom; I've been using FA HH pads for years now.
    -=[ Bill ]=-
    I brake for morons

Mirror Replacement

This topic is one that will drive you crazy looking for. You won't need to know until you break a mirror, and then it's critical.

Non-Aprilia mirrors can be had, and rather inexpensively. The following have been specifically mentioned:

Emgo Universal Mirror - 2078253
    https://www.denniskirk.com/_.p391584.prd/391584.sku

Yamaha mirror pack - 10 mm threaded stem
    http://hvccycle.com/mirrors.html

Keep in mind that whatever mirror you buy, you need a right hand thread on the left mirror and a left hand thread on the right mirror.

Several members have also reported good results with mounting a stick-on blind spot mirror to see a large area at a glance.
    -=[ Bill ]=-
    I brake for morons

apriliaforum expert
    Do Ya'll Like The Double Adjust Mirrors we came with on the 06 Model sideways teardrop ? maybe called, can be had in chrome and stalks are a std dia too .. well I do ..kinda like old brit car mirrors..

04-06 Beo 500 ECU Self Test

I discovered this "Easter Egg" by accident. You may need help to do this.

Press and hold both the "Set" and "Reset" butons on the dash.
    Now turn the ignition key to "On" while keeping the buttons pressed.

It may also work if you QUICKLY press and hold the "Set" button while pressing the "Reset" button while the display shows 888888888.

The ECU will run through 12 tests, then give the result at the end of the sequence. Your dash will look like it's possessed during testing, as each warning lamp and dial will cycle. Fascinating to watch; amaze your friends, confound your enemies...
    -=[ Bill ]=-
    I brake for morons

04-06 Beo 500 Disassembly Videos

Courtesy of steveford:

Here's a great bunch of youtube video's on the Scarabeo 500 Gt on taking apart different parts of the scooter. I've found these very useful when I changed out my voltage regulator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAGEd...63160303BA7F2C
    -=[ Bill ]=-
    I brake for morons

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast