Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Welcome, Newbies! Read this first!

apriliaforum expert vtwin_pilot's Avatar

Tips, Tricks & Maintenance Notes

If you’re a newb to this forum and have a Beo or Atlantic 500, first of all, welcome! Here’s some information and answers to questions that most newbies ask.

Beo 500 GT (through 2006)

1. Tires. With few exceptions, the stock Maxxis tires are universally despised for their poor handling characteristics. Do yourself a favor and replace them right away, even if they’re not worn. You won’t be sorry. Pirelli ST66 and Michelin Gold Standard are two popular and excellent choices.

2. Defective fuel line. Despite Aprilia’s official stance to the contrary, we owners have verified that the fuel line in the fuel tank has two issues: the first is that the line is not quality submersible material. It’s cheap plastic that’s prone to cracking and rupturing. Making matters worse is that the cheap OEM line does not have clamps on it, which results is loss of fuel pressure and leads to issues like stalling, rough running at low RPM, and hard starting. See related sticky post.

3. Suspension. A lot of members have reported drastic changes (for the better) in handling once the rear pre-load and front steering damper were properly set. See these for more info:
    a. Steering damper
    b. Rear pre-load

4. Voltage Regulator. This item seems to go bad often enough that it could almost be considered a wear item, like brake pads. All kidding aside, this electrical component is known to fail. There have been several incidences with forum members who had the red “EFI” warning light go on, only to find that their charging rate was 16V or higher, which is over spec (range is 13-15V). Regulators can fail on the other end, and not charge enough, but with the GT, it seems when they fail, they start to overcharge. This can lead to potential issues with the ECU, so if you notice a charge rate while riding over 15V, this is likely the issue. The Atlantic and Scarabeo 500s take the same regulator. The Ducati 58086R or the Kokosun equivalent. More info here.

5. Gas consumption figure on LCD dash readout. Yeah, this is screwed up. The digital readout might say MPG, but it actually is registering liters/100km. Fantastic Aprilia quality control. Most will show somewhere in the range of 4.2, which is actually 60 MPG. See thread #6 below for more discussion.

6. Regular vs. Premium Fuel: Which to use? Aprilia’s official recommendation is to use premium fuel, but there’s some debate about that. Aprilia states to use premium fuel with a minimum octane rating of 95 RON. In the U.S., the octane rating is given in what’s called the (R+M)/2 method. 95 RON in Europe and elsewhere in the world is roughly equivalent to 91 octane in the U.S. Many forum members have reported no issues running 87 octane (U.S. rating, or 91 RON). Given the relatively low gas consumption of these scoots and the attendant minimal cost to use premium, most members opt to use premium. For more discussion: See this and this.

7. Shop manual. Indispensable. It’s posted over on the Yahoo ScarabeoRiders group. Once you log in, it’s posted in the files directory. Get it. Learn it. Love it. It’ll save you a ton of money by allowing you to do most work yourself.

8. Seat height. The Beo GT’s seat height can be considered on the tall side, owing in no small part to the breadth of the seat. Sub six-footers (or less than 183 cm) may have a problem reaching the ground with both feet. The fix? Cut down cushion foam in the seat, or even easier, just scoot up to the very front of seat before putting your feet down.

9. Trunk LED brake light. For whatever reason, the U.S. DOT saw it fit to require Aprilia to ship U.S.-spec Beos with this light disconnected. Not to worry though. With a little bit of wire and a few minutes of your time, you'll have it lighting up in no time. More info here.

10. High beams on '05 and '06 models. See thread #7 below.

11. In case you need to replace a mirror, check out this thread and this thread.

12. Do yourself a favor and keep your battery happy while the scoot's not in use and hook it up to a Battery Tender. The investment is well worth it.

13. Here's a good thread on doing a valve job.

14. YouTube videos on various maintenance jobs here.

Beo i.e. (2007 and later)

1. Unfortunately, the i.e. is plagued by the same fuel line issue as the GT. See related sticky.

2. For some DIY mods, see this thread.

Atlantic

1. The 2003 model year is known to have a thermostat that runs the engine too cold. Clicky for more discussion.

2. Voltage regulators are known to go bad. Aprilia's stated range is 13-15V (at riding RPM). Anything above or below this could be a faulty regulator/rectifier. The Atlantic and Scarabeo 500s take the same regulator. The Ducati 58086R or the Kokosun equivalent. More info here.

Forum members, please chip in with other advice on the i.e. and Atlantic, including any helpful thread links.
    Last edited by vtwin_pilot; 06-08-2009 at 08:22 PM.

Thumbs up

This is excellent Vtwin. I will be saving this and using it as a reference guide.

Can we make this a "sticky" ?
    Richie C.

06 Aprilia Scarabeo 500 GT ABS #364
    Vespa GT 200L

apriliaforum expert vtwin_pilot's Avatar
    Yup, that was the intent when I started this thread, and I've already sent an email to AF1 asking them to stick this and the fuel line threads.

apriliaforum expert

Fuel line issue

I believe the fuel line issue was introduced with later models. I do not believe any '04 models were found to have the fuel line issue. I don't believe any '03 Atlantics had this issue either.

Please speak up if you have an '04 Scarabeo or a '03 Atlantic and found your bike to NOT have clamps on the fuel line.
    Riding a 2010 Mana GT

apriliaforum expert Chris Eberhart's Avatar
    Thank you. Excellent thread. But, for #5, LCD readout, please see, and post, my research at http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...hlight=mileage
    Chris Eberhart
    Okemos, Michigan

2004 Atlantic 500
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon
    Ride in comfort.

high beams

Another well-discussed issue: the '05 and '06 Scarabeos came from the factory with their headlamps wired such that either the low or high beam comes on, but not both. Here's how to fix this:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ight=high+beam

On page 2, post 21, has the all-important pictures.
    Mark Hirschhorn
    Durham NC
    '09 Versys 'Blue Belle'
    '06 Scarabeo 500 GT #301 (ret.) 'Silver Pony'
    '03 Atlantic 500 (ret.)

apriliaforum prov-nov
    maybe add oil,coolant,etc capacity and weights
    Scarabeo 500 Octane Trials

07' Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie

apriliaforum newb
    According to my 2007 Scarabeo 500 i.e. manual I need to change my oil every 625 miles. Is this true or am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by The Flag Chick View Post
    According to my 2007 Scarabeo 500 i.e. manual I need to change my oil every 625 miles. Is this true or am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks!
    Just the first time; after that, it's more like every 4400 miles.
    And, if you're like most of us here, you'll thoroughly enjoy every one of them.
    Mark Hirschhorn
    Durham NC
    '09 Versys 'Blue Belle'
    '06 Scarabeo 500 GT #301 (ret.) 'Silver Pony'
    '03 Atlantic 500 (ret.)

apriliaforum newb
    Hey VTwin! Excellent thread and replies! I'm glad I logged in when I did! Having a battery issue I'm hoping someone could help me with.

Took my Beo out of garage this weekend for spring preps. Although I placed the battery on a slow trickle charger, it just would recharge. So, I obtained and charged a new one; good voltage and has 73 cranking amps.

Not sure if this is correct?

So, I put the battery in and hook up the leads and immediately, the parking lights come on as well as the fan! The key wasn't even in the ignition!

I then tried to start it with no joy! It just stayed in the same condition...

Any thoughts out there?

Missing my Beo, Dave

apriliaforum Junkie

fuel line rupture

Yup, just as you predicted, the 'stock' fuel line ruptured and my 'dead' Beo was in downtown Tampa on Sunday afternoon. Thanks to AAA (add M/C 'tow' to your existing policy for $30/year) it was on the truck and off to the dealer quickly - - that was the quick part. Parts had to come from Aprilia and took almost two weeks ! ! Dealer blamed ethanol in the gas (could be partly true) so I now add Marine Sta-bil to my fill-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by vtwin_pilot View Post

7. Shop manual. Indispensable. Itís posted over on the Yahoo ScarabeoRiders group. Once you log in, itís posted in the files directory. Get it. Learn it. Love it. Itíll save you a ton of money by allowing you to do most work yourself.
    does this yahoo group still up I could not find it ?

apriliaforum Junkie
    Yup, I get 'Yahoo' stuff daily - - - check out 'ScarabeoRiders@yahoogroups.com'
    2006 Honda Big Ruckus
    2006 Beo 500 GT ABS #150
    2009 Aprilia Mana 850

apriliaforum newb
    thanks for sharing this.I hope to lean a lot more so i can get the most out of riding. have you ever had any one ask why the 06 Aprilia scarbeo 500 burns oil? the shop could not tell me.there were no drips or oil in the pan or cover?

what do you think about riding the bike every day?after all this is why i bought it. I was told it would hold up just as good as any other scooter or bike with good up keep.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast