Thread: Coils - Definative thread?

Coils - Definative thread?

There have been a few suggested alternatives for coils. Does anyone have a definative 'best'?

Obviously i am talking about the alternatives rather than the overpriced and seemingly not-hugely reliable OEM ones.

These posts are ones that he grabbed my attention... the choice seems to be GSXR or Renault Clio

GSXR:
    Quote Originally Posted by v-twin View Post
    well after a couple hundreds miles with the GSXR coils. Things are working great. The bike idle real well and doesn't jump up and down all the time like before. There is little modification mostly the power connector from the Fut doesn't fit that of the coils, so I just make a new connector. that's the good news for us.
    CLIO:
    Quote Originally Posted by ib12 View Post
    Renault Clio coils are just as good and way cheaper. Just need to take the cap off the Aprilia one to replace the Renault one and shorten it slightly, dead simple. Bought 4 coils off ebay once for £25. That's £25 for 4 not £70 odd for an OEM one.

Does anyone know what year / model i should be looking for (on either the gsxr or clio?)? A few threads suggested that any GSXR coils from around year 2000 would be ok - is that right? Clio year/model doesn't seem to have been mentioned?

Has anyone found out if one is better than the other? I seem to be able to get clio ones cheaper, but i want advice before i made that decision.

If you change one coil for a non-OEM one - is there any value in changing them all so they're all the same? Or am i being numb?

Also i read this - does this mean that riding with a coil down / faulty might cause a problem with ECU?...

Quote Originally Posted by Motech View Post
    In a worst-case scenario, shorted primary windings in a coil will increase current draw and can cook the coil driver/transistor inside the ECU. Makes for a very expensive fuse!
    Thanks for everyones help - maybe if we get a definate answer this can be added as a sticky?
    Live forever or die trying

I wrote that worse-case scenario based on other engine management systems I've dealt with over the years. Many ECU's will fry transistors if operated with a coil, injector, or other solenoid it controls shorted or disconnected. Aprilia ECU might have decent protection, I dunno, but this I do: Coil codes are apparently set if current is not within established parameters. If current is low, no harm/no foul, but if it's too high, the risk--to me--ain't worth it.
    No Matter Where You Are, There You Go!

Quote Originally Posted by Motech View Post
    I wrote that worse-case scenario based on other engine management systems I've dealt with over the years. Many ECU's will fry transistors if operated with a coil, injector, or other solenoid it controls shorted or disconnected. Aprilia ECU might have decent protection, I dunno, but this I do: Coil codes are apparently set if current is not within established parameters. If current is low, no harm/no foul, but if it's too high, the risk--to me--ain't worth it.
    OK... thanks for replying

Hopefully someone in the know will let me know if either the clio or gsxr coils are best?
    Live forever or die trying

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkey_UK View Post
    OK... thanks for replying

Hopefully someone in the know will let me know if either the clio or gsxr coils are best?
    LOL
    2007 Tuono 1000R Factory - 22K miles
    Cored OE Racing CansMap2Pazzo Shorty Knock-offs15-40AF1 Link PlatesAprilia Sliders
    Laminar WindscreenLowered PegsLED City and Tag Lights
    ProTaper Universal LowClear Signal Lenses

2017 Z125 PRO in Candy Lime Green
    Many mods

2001 Futura in Silver - Sold, after 8.5 years of service.

Retired - DJ, Turntablist, MC, Creator, Video Editor and Mixologist.
    Cored OE Cans vs Leo Vince Titanium Vid
    Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

Chrome extension to see photobucket blocked pics.

apriliaforum expert bullit in head's Avatar
    well lets see..... how many have clio/renault coils and how many have gsxr coils....poll maybe????

clio coils are the same as original coils just in a different package....

lets call them renault coils as there used in many more cars than just the clio...

whats the cost of gsxr coils anyway?????

bullit
    Pilot Roads 2CT, H-PIPE, BEF's, Touno forks and a Wilbers Rear end, R&G FRame sliders, Rhino barend sliders, RhinoMoto front axle sliders,(thats a hole lota sliding to be done)MILLE BOOT, K&N, HID's LED running light , Heated Grips, Double bubble(now removed) and a whole lot of attitude.and renault coils.

apriliaforum expert
    The clio (Renault) coils are not very good coils to start with, and are a common source of complaint among Renault owners and dealers. They are considerabley cheaper then our OEM coil but I think that might be their only advantage. I would very much like to see a proper write up on the GSXR coils including model numbers, pictures of what (if any) mods need to be done, where to source altenate connectors etc. as only then can a proper comparison be made.
    Never wrestle with a pig... you get dirty and the pig enjoys it...

Quote Originally Posted by PaulZX9R View Post
    The clio (Renault) coils are not very good coils to start with, and are a common source of complaint among Renault owners and dealers. They are considerabley cheaper then our OEM coil but I think that might be their only advantage. I would very much like to see a proper write up on the GSXR coils including model numbers, pictures of what (if any) mods need to be done, where to source altenate connectors etc. as only then can a proper comparison be made.
    Really, What's a Clio? We haven't seen a Renault over here since they were pronounced Renalt. There are tons of GSXR coils available from online breakers at pretty reasonable prices. Would be nice to see the final modded product. To say nothing of knowing if long term use has not caused any issues. Who was it again that 1st used 'em?

“The road’s what counts...don’t worry about where it’s goin’."
    - Sam Shepard
    "When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive."
    -Neil Peart