Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clutch Slave Piston Seal

apriliaforum expert

Clutch Slave Piston Seal

Anybody got a seal pn or at least the specs I'd need to get at the local auto parts store?

Thanks!
    Bill
    '02 Rosso Flame Futura

38K miles + 30K kms

I thought it was more conducive to just buy the whole slave off of ebay? Am I right?
    2007 Tuono 1000R Factory - 22K miles
    Cored OE Racing Cans‡Map2‡Pazzo Shorty Knock-offs‡15-40‡AF1 Link Plates‡Aprilia Sliders
    ‡
    Laminar Windscreen‡Lowered Pegs‡LED City and Tag Lights
    ‡
    ProTaper Universal Low‡Clear Signal Lenses

2017 Z125 PRO in Candy Lime Green
    Many mods

2001 Futura in Silver - Sold, after 8.5 years of service.

Retired - DJ, Turntablist, MC, Creator, Video Editor and Mixologist.
    Cored OE Cans vs Leo Vince Titanium Vid
    Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

Chrome extension to see photobucket blocked pics.

apriliaforum expert
    I know there are replacement units from evolzione and it seems like a few other manufacturers but it really is only a 10 cent o-ring and a cylinder that needs to be honed. I've gotten 28K out of the stock one and its really not pressing that I change it but I can't ride for a few weeks and am wanting to get some of these little projects done. I guess I'll just pull it apart and take it to Napa.
    Bill
    '02 Rosso Flame Futura

38K miles + 30K kms

Quote Originally Posted by Sign Guy View Post
    I know there are replacement units from evolzione and it seems like a few other manufacturers but it really is only a 10 cent o-ring and a cylinder that needs to be honed. I've gotten 28K out of the stock one and its really not pressing that I change it but I can't ride for a few weeks and am wanting to get some of these little projects done. I guess I'll just pull it apart and take it to Napa.
    The only thing that the seal in the OE slave shares with an O-ring is that it is round. It's cross-section however, is not. Af1 carries the proper seal, it's far cheaper than replacing the slave.

The Evo slave now uses x-ring seals. Their original o-rings failed.

You cannot use std. butyl rubber inside of brake systems. It must be EPDM. Otherwise, the brake fluid will eat it up in no time. Good luck finding EPDM O-rings at NAPA

apriliaforum expert
    That's why I asked. I'll add one to my current cart in the AF-1 online store.
    Bill
    '02 Rosso Flame Futura

38K miles + 30K kms

Quote Originally Posted by RAS View Post
    The only thing that the seal in the OE slave shares with an O-ring is that it is round. It's cross-section however, is not. Af1 carries the proper seal, it's far cheaper than replacing the slave.

The Evo slave now uses x-ring seals. Their original o-rings failed.

You cannot use std. butyl rubber inside of brake systems. It must be EPDM. Otherwise, the brake fluid will eat it up in no time. Good luck finding EPDM O-rings at NAPA

Got mine for just a few bucks from AF1 and she works a treat
    I took the road less travelled, now where the hell am I?

Anybody got a seal pn or at least the specs I'd need to get at the local auto parts store?

Thanks!
    How about ordering it from the guys who are providing you this forum?? It's like $15 bucks and they'll get it to you in about 3 days with standard shipping....

Bruce

Ooopss, my bad. Looks like the seals go for $23 bucks...been awhile since I replaced mine, forgot what I paid.

Quote Originally Posted by bbluemm View Post
    How about ordering it from the guys who are providing you this forum?? It's like $15 bucks and they'll get it to you in about 3 days with standard shipping....

Bruce

Ooopss, my bad. Looks like the seals go for $23 bucks...been awhile since I replaced mine, forgot what I paid.
    Nothing against AF1, but some of us gotta save where we can. I don't have to say, these bikes aren't cheap to maintain.
    2007 Tuono 1000R Factory - 22K miles
    Cored OE Racing Cans‡Map2‡Pazzo Shorty Knock-offs‡15-40‡AF1 Link Plates‡Aprilia Sliders
    ‡
    Laminar Windscreen‡Lowered Pegs‡LED City and Tag Lights
    ‡
    ProTaper Universal Low‡Clear Signal Lenses

2017 Z125 PRO in Candy Lime Green
    Many mods

2001 Futura in Silver - Sold, after 8.5 years of service.

Retired - DJ, Turntablist, MC, Creator, Video Editor and Mixologist.
    Cored OE Cans vs Leo Vince Titanium Vid
    Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

Chrome extension to see photobucket blocked pics.

Ooops, my bad again!! Shit! Now I notice that he did order one from AF1, sorry Sign Guy, I should learn to read more better.

apriliaforum expert
    It's in on its way here now. Along with a few other things like side case domed decals. I loose one about every 5-6K miles. Beginning to think my cases have a smaller inset that most or the decals are mm or two too large. Next time I'll be ordering a new Strada from them. I was surprised to realize that I'm on the cusp of 10K on my first set of these! So in short....I do order from AF-1 but no offense taken, we've all jumped ahead and skipped the point of a post only to look like an ass.
    Bill
    '02 Rosso Flame Futura

38K miles + 30K kms

It's in on its way here now. Along with a few other things like side case domed decals. I loose one about every 5-6K miles. Beginning to think my cases have a smaller inset that most or the decals are mm or two too large. Next time I'll be ordering a new Strada from them. I was surprised to realize that I'm on the cusp of 10K on my first set of these! So in short....I do order from AF-1 but no offense taken, we've all jumped ahead and skipped the point of a post only to look like an ass.
    Those decals are infamous for falling off. Pull off the 2 sided sticky and glue them on proper with glue meant for side moldiings, or even RTV. You'll never lose another.

apriliaforum expert

sealant/seal orientation

Back to the seal, I have some waterproof sealant (Dow Corning 111) that was an equivalent to what is used for the water pump seals. I used it on my Pegaso a few years back. Do you guys think it would work for the clutch seal? From what I've read I think it will be fine just wanted to see if there were any opposing views.

Also, does the V-groove of the seal go toward the bike or away?
    Bill
    '02 Rosso Flame Futura

38K miles + 30K kms

Back to the seal, I have some waterproof sealant (Dow Corning 111) that was an equivalent to what is used for the water pump seals. I used it on my Pegaso a few years back. Do you guys think it would work for the clutch seal? From what I've read I think it will be fine just wanted to see if there were any opposing views.

Also, does the V-groove of the seal go toward the bike or away?
    Without trying to be rude, your assumptions seem to exceed your knowledge.

The seal is special and needs to be purpose made. It is specially resistant to brake fluid. Don't wast your effort trying to save a few bucks.

Do not use any sealant material.

The cylinder is anodized aluminum and cannot be honed. Clean it, remove nay galling and leave it alone.

apriliaforum expert
    The seal is from AF1. Every post I have read on this states that the seal should be lubed in a silicone based lube to prevent the fluid from turning black within a few days of a flush. Not sure how I am being obtuse but if I am please do explain.
    Bill
    '02 Rosso Flame Futura

38K miles + 30K kms

Dow Corning 111 is a lubricant, not a sealant, and it is ideal to lubricate the slave seal or any brake or clutch hydraulic rubber seals. Use it liberally on the ID of the cylinder and the entire OD of the piston and seal. The open grooved side of the seal goes toward the inside of the cylinder. This type of seal is traditionally called a cup seal. The open side of the cup goes toward the hydraulic fluid. The pressure expands the cup against the cylinder to create a good seal.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast