Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mana 850's Arrived at AF1 Today, May 30th 2008

apriliaforum expert Jony2Stones's Avatar

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    I thought nobody would get this reference...glad I was wrong! I have laughed at this sticker for a decade now and I can assure you Johhny that VERY FEW will "get it".
    Yeah, that has to be one of my all time favorite stickers... And the selling pitch; " Well ma'am this is where you put your pe...... err ...... your helmets an' such...."

I'm def. going to have to steal a ride on one of those things...
    "It's broken (btw).......I put it on, it started playing the Beverly Hill Cops theme song --- and then leaked something brown onto my arm........"

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    $9899 in the USA, a steal with the current value of our currency.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum expert Dragster pilota's Avatar
    micah in da house:

That's insane!!!!!

$9.899 = 60.700SEK, here in Sweden the Mana cost 99.900SEK ship me a boatload!!!!!

One thing better with mine is that we over here don't get the huge black can for emissions on the right side....

DP says: I'm with you, it's probably the best "riders bike" (did not say drivers) ever built....

Great pics. And that diesel price hurts me bad

Now for an important inquiry - how's the Mana sound?? And do you think a twin tail pipe could fly on that bike?? Maybe some nice cans??

apriliaforum expert Dragster pilota's Avatar
    shorts in da house:
    how's the Mana sound?? And do you think a twin tail pipe could fly on that bike?? Maybe some nice cans??

I have always been the "loud pipes save lives" kind of biker but with the Mana if I would have one for my personal pleasure I would probably stay with the heavily designed chrome lump that's there, I think it would be hard do make something else not look silly on a bike like the Mana, my Shiver will get the new Aprilia/Akrapovic pipes beacause the Shiver looks and sounds silly with the stock pipe....

The sound of the Mana??? have not really given it a thought, it's quiet enough to not upset the law, since you'll be doing much of that with city driving this thing and it's loud enough for people to look up when you come down the sidewalk with it. Seriously the sound of the Mana is there and you can tell it's a V-Twin....

DP says: My take on the Mana http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=151377

Hmm I forgot the tank is back there. Maybe not the thing to get heated by an exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by Dragster pilota View Post
    micah in da house:

One thing better with mine is that we over here don't get the huge black can for emissions on the right side....
    Wow, that's a real bargain at $9,899; OTD should be a little over 10K, huh, Micah? When would it be ready for sale at Af1racing?

You know, that big black can is a bit of an aesthetic issue... Does it decrease the overall performance (by having it)?

--Lorenzo

The positioning of the charcoal can is awful innit? I can't see many of them staying on for long.

To the best of my undrstanding the charcoal can is simply there to act as a trap for errant hydrocarbons that may evaporate from the tank. I don't belive it should have any influence on performance at all.

Whilst in the overall scheme of things it is probably better that vehicles do have the can my feeling is that on small volume vehicles with a smaller carbon footprint overall like motorbikes and scooters the insistence on their fitting if pretty damn goofy. Compare the damage done to the environment over the life of the vehicle with the amount of energy and hydrocarbon needed to produce the poxy plastic box, the hoses, plumbing et-al and I'd guess it would be a negative sum game or at the very least break even on the Tofu-Eating scale of things but if you can't conceptualize beyond the immediate I'm sure a tube of half burnt wood makes a lot of sense....

Pete

Read your posts with interest. I share entirely your impressions. Having ridden the mana for three weeks now, I can confirm it is great, but there are a couple of minus:

- it consumes a lot in city traffic.
    - it vibrates too much in sports gear mode at the pedals.
    - Aprilia did a lousy job in making the rider's life easy..;forgetting stuff like hooks for the helmets for instance...or a fuel indicator....all standard things on my V-strom. I talk about them here: http://mototourism.blogspot.com/2008...mountains.html

Having said that, the money for the mana is well spent. I believe it is more than just a commuting bike. If all goes well, I will take her on a longer trip in September across Europe...
    http://mototourism.blogspot.com

Currently riding a blue Mana and a black Suzuki V-Strom 650

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    48.665 mpg for my first tank of fuel as in "for reals" numbers based on my actual mileage and actual fuel added to the tank to re-fill it. Granted I was taking it a bit easy for break in purposes and such. Damn near 50 mpg is about as good a fuel economy number as I have ever gotten on a bike.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

MMM, with my last tank, all in the city traffic, I made 16Km/liter...on country /state roads I can reach 20 km/l...

Quote Originally Posted by Demonio View Post
    MMM, with my last tank, all in the city traffic, I made 16Km/liter...on country /state roads I can reach 20 km/l...
    So at the worst you've got 37.6 miles to the US gallon and best was 47mpg

Not to shabby, how big is the tank on one of these, 18lt?

Edit: noticed that Aprilia beefed up the sidestand for the US market, wonder if "the rest of the world" will be retro fitting them in the future
    Last edited by Gtrain; 06-04-2008 at 05:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrain View Post
    So at the worst you've got 37.6 miles to the US gallon and best was 47mpg

Not to shabby, how big is the tank on one of these, 18lt?
    Tank is 16 lt...my autonomy is very limited. I can't put in a week of commuting to work if I use it every day, as the reserve light goes on at 180-190 KM...

What bothers me the most is not the actual consumption but the limited autonomy. a couple of extra liters would have been welcome.

Yes we all want somethings bigger

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast