Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Mana 850's Arrived at AF1 Today, May 30th 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Demonio View Post
    Tank is 16 lt...my autonomy is very limited. I can't put in a week of commuting to work if I use it every day, as the reserve light goes on at 180-190 KM...

What bothers me the most is not the actual consumption but the limited autonomy. a couple of extra liters would have been welcome.
    Demonio,
    How does the Mana compare with your V-Strom?
    JohnG.

'02 Capo.

apriliaforum Member
    To Aprilia-USA: Why doesn't my dealer have the Mana yet? I was told he had a couple on order but that the truck hasn't dropped anything off at the warehouse. This is really frustrating.

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by freebird View Post
    To Aprilia-USA: Why doesn't my dealer have the Mana yet? I was told he had a couple on order but that the truck hasn't dropped anything off at the warehouse. This is really frustrating.
    the first USA release was really small, only the top dealers got some on the first go around.....more are coming soon......

we have 2 Manas right now

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed / AF1 Racing View Post
    we have 2 Manas right now
    My local dealer would cut my nuts off.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by freebird View Post
    My local dealer would cut my nuts off.
    If he cut off your nuts and then you cut off there nuts that would be just NUTS!
    For the ancient Egyptians, a
    sacred creature and
    good luck charm, so the Scarabeo
    is also “sacred”

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBeo View Post
    If he cut off your nuts and then you cut off there nuts that would be just NUTS!
    Just called and found out: the warehouse took delivery... might be at my local dealer and ready for pick-up Friday.

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    The Mana and I seem to be bonding rather well. When it comes time to leave the shop on Saturday for the 2 days off I call the weekend I usually pick out a car, van, bike, truck, scooter or some sort of transport that is not being used by anyone else. Last weekend I used the MP3 250cc and had an absolute blast putting it through its paces. My normal vehicle selection process begins with seeing which 2 wheeled (or three in the case of the Piaggios) already has a valid Texas Motorcycle Dealer plate attached, or if it is going to be a customer bike I check and see which ones have current registration. I personally own two cars, neither of which have I personally driven in months now. The Demo Mana was sitting over in the corner with no plates at all on it, and I am a lazy fuck by 7pm on Saturday. We have bonded well enough, the two of us, that I actually went and swapped plates with another demo scooter, something that requires effort...no normal for me at that time of the week.

As usual the first stop is at the nearest petrol station that sells non middle eastern oil. (why fund those who hate us). Seat up, tank topped off with about 1.25 gallons so I can keep accurate track of the realistic fuel mileage of the Mana with me being the only variable, not everyone else who demos it and rides it home on other nights.

Grocery store, to place I and ladyredNB were house sitting at...then the call from a buddy in Austin reminding us that the ROT Harley rally was this weekend, who can resist a gorilla marketing attack like that? ROT stands for Republic of Texas, a rally that normally gathers about 50,000 "bikers" in the Austin Metro area for a pathetic drinking and riding lifestyle check. Women are wearing way to little for their age and condition, men cannot be seen with any sort of protective gear on less they be laughed out of their respective "club" of bike brothers.

Sunday, sleep in for a bit, get strong espresso, then ride...to Austin. All along the way we were passing packs of the HD faithful from one to ten at a whack of the throttle, sometimes weaving through them since they seem to think that part of their "right to ride" is the right to take up multiple lanes of IH35 with their Tractor Supply Custom creations. In stop light racing (2 up on the Mana) the Mana kicks Wisconsin ass, in highway roll ons the Mana kicks ass, well in corners...obviously. I really wish I could have taken an MP3 500cc because one thing the Mana did not do was really grab and stares or glares from the Milwaukee crowd. Only one HD couple even really noticed it, and that was when I popped open the tank/trunk to get some goods before going into Hooters.

On the interstate highway the Mana is a pretty good partner for distances of less than 100 miles, after 100 miles the need for some little bit of wind protection becomes more obvious. This was with an indicated 85-90 mph cruise speed which GPS says is off by 5-7 mph.

The lack of wind protection was good for human cooling though. The lowest air temp seen on our ride was 98F and the warmest was right at 106F, a large screen would make you cook like a foil wrapped chicken if you wear proper gear while riding.

Anyway, this weekends test of the Mana was fully loaded, higher speeds and more aggressive use of the throttle but still the fuel economy hovers in the 42-45mpg range and with 130 miles so far on this tank the fuel level light has yet to come on. Time to put on some pants and head out to get some lunch.

Vibration issues BTW...none to speak of really. The rear sock seems more than capable of transporting the combined 300 lbs of people and gear too. Vibration actually seemed less than 2 weeks ago when the bike was completely new inside and out. Yes, you still feel a little in your feet through the rubber mounted pegs but, not an issue really.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

So, a lot of your probably thinking the big silver thing on the left side of the Mana is the part of the transmission right? I did when I first saw pics of the Mana a year or so back too.

It is actually the air filter cover. I had to take it off and see how the engine gets air into it's throttle body. No surprise that the intake seems to be choked up a bit since the Mana is about silent even at WFO when stock. You wanna hear 90 degree v-twin music? Me too!

Remove the screws holding the cover in place with a phillips screwdriver....and bingo, you get music. The little oval shaped hole in the top is where the bike gets air into the box in stock form...this will make for an interesting dyno test if nothing else.

The filter itself is held into place with a cover plate and three machine screws.

When you really look at the Mana 850 up close you notice that there are a LOT of little plastic covers and do-dads that would probably be fine if not on the bike. A stripped down bad to the bones Mana would be a really sweet project.

The Leo exhaust BTW is a 1/2 system, keeping only the stock downtubes from the header portions of the stock exhaust system. The gains should be at least as good as we saw on the Shiver when we replaced the stock pipe with the Leo half system. I do have to admit that I am liking the subdued sound and total lack of loudness? Getting old maybe?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Link to the diagram of what you get with the Leo Vince exhaust system:

http://www.sitogroup.com/pls/pazsito/pk$ges_upload.download?nome_file=F12346/DT-8105.pdf

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum expert

mp3 /Mana

Micah I noticed you have ridden the mp3 500 in addition to the Mana.I am trying to decide between the two and it is hard comparing apples to oranges.
    I have ridden bikes before never a scooter.In terms of fun how would describe the two?If you could have only one?I actually went to put a deposit on a Mana when I saw the scooter and held off to think about it.

Micah, I plan on stopping by AF1 tomorrow ( Tuesday ) to "check out"
    the Mana as we spoke about a few days ago.
    I have ridden an MP3 250, and spent quite a few miles on a Scarabeo 500GT
    so it should be an interesting comparison between the 3....

see ya Tuesday...

Buddy
    travels & riding : http://buddywalton.smugmug.com/

www.proclean1000.com

12' V4 APRC Tuono
    YAM RD500,TY250,RD400
    BMW 1150GS
    Moto Guzzi Breva 1100, Stelvio
    ++dirtbikes

OK, I have not ridden the 500cc MP3 yet, just the 400cc MP3. I am waiting with baited breath for a few of the several hundred 500cc MP3's that arrived in the USA to customs recently. That sorted, the MP3 500cc is in some really weird way is one of the most beautiful and purposefully designed vehicles I have seen in many years...beauty in my mind is a perverse combination of form and function that few appreciate.

We should be seeing our first 500cc bike in the next week or so, but do not hold me to that date...we are dealing with an Italian company and supply chain.

As fro only bike, MP3 or Mana...I would have to go Mana no matter how much I love the MP3. I think a BIG part of my love for the MP3 is that I can ride it like an absolute asshole with little fear of consequences. The Mana really could replace both my cars and take me wherever I need to go for the next few years better than the MP3 though. Your call, but if you see multi hundred mile highway trips in your crystal ball then the Mana holds the advantage by a wide margin. Either the three wheeler or the Mana would be kick ass fun at a track day though!

Will have the Mana back at the shop tomorrow...your test ride is ready sir! Just to get this out of the way, please do not ask me for a trade price on the S500, you know how I honestly feel about those chassis.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum expert

Thanks

Thank you soo much for your reply Micah.The situation is I live in the most densely packed area of the country. It takes soo much to actually ride a bike here it had become work,hence the Katana sits in the garage.
    I miss it though and thought maybe the mp3 or mana might make it a bit easier,less work more fun,at least til I can get to move.

Is that a live deer in those first pics?!?

apriliaforum expert

colors

Could you describe the red color of your bike. When I went to look at the Mana it was a coppery orange red that I really didn't like,kinda of like pics of the Shiver. I understand the first colors will be red and later silver.I like black alot and wonder if you were told anything about color availability? Was I looking at the same red in person as your bike?thanks in advance

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast