Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: COILS- Good news for those on this side of the pond

apriliaforum Member

COILS- Good news for those on this side of the pond

well after a couple hundreds miles with the GSXR coils. Things are working great. The bike idle real well and doesn't jump up and down all the time like before. There is little modification mostly the power connector from the Fut doesn't fit that of the coils, so I just make a new connector. that's the good news for us.

now the bad news for me is that during this coils work, i've discovered that the bike is leaking oil on the bottom right of the front engine. right behind the coolant reservoir where the starter mount is. now that just sucks.

apriliaforum expert
    That, and the availability of OEM coils which don't require fabrication of a new connector, is good news for us.
    2cats, 1cup

'02 Futura
    '07 Multistrada 1100S
    Formerly '05 Triumph Speed Triple, Monster, and Buell XB12Ss

"Entities ought not be multiplied beyond necessity." Occum's razor

"Everything is what it is, and not another thing." Butler's maxim

"I am what I am, and that's all that I am. I'm Popeye the Sailor Man." Popeye the Sailor Man

"It is what it is." Any engineer

Thumbs up

I consider anyone that finds alternate parts for the RST doing us all a favor and it's to be appreciated, especially if they work better and are cheaper.
    One never knows when any given part will become unavailable.
    Besides, I plan on having mine for a LONG time.
    So what year/model GSXR coil?
    “The road’s what counts...don’t worry about where it’s goin’."
    - Sam Shepard
    "When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive."
    -Neil Peart

Quote Originally Posted by v-twin View Post

now the bad news for me is that during this coils work, i've discovered that the bike is leaking oil on the bottom right of the front engine. right behind the coolant reservoir where the starter mount is. now that just sucks.

My guess is you will find out it is coming from the water pump weep hole. The oil seal in there is a weak link. Make sure you haven't overfilled the oil level. Not everyone agrees but I've found that running the oil level too high can knock out that seal.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fixer View Post
    I consider anyone that finds alternate parts for the RST doing us all a favor and it's to be appreciated, especially if they work better and are cheaper.
    And a couple of pics would be nice.
    If I just gave you mechanical, personal, legal or medical advice, it's up to you to get a proper diagnosis from a qualified expert.

I had a drip or two of oil coming out of the water pump weep hole shortly after purchasing the Fut. No biggy. Had it replaced at the first check up.(even though I was told it wasn't too big a deal NOT to replace).

Mine leaks from the water pump weep hole. I never fixed it. I just top up the oil now and again. Not a problem. It requires you to keep an eye on your oil level, but you should do that anyway.

Thanks for the GSX-R coil tip. Don't need it yet, but may someday.

apriliaforum Member
    From the spec of the GSXR manual, it stated that the 00-2003 gsxr-750 has coils with primary resistance of .9-1.2 ohms. So i bought a set of 4 coils from an 02 gsxr-750. When it arrived I checked the resistance and it was 1.6 ohms. These resistance was the spec for all other GSXR so i realized that as long as the resistance is not too far off. it will be fine. that means you can buy any GSXR coils and it will work just fine. will show pictures once i get to it, my camera is not with me now... so be patient

as for the leak, i'd really want to fix it. Can someone shed some light on this?

Send Kzmille a PM about the leak. I believe he's the one that offers a repair service if you send him the right engine case cover.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

apriliaforum expert
    Hi V-Twin,

Can you post exactly which GSXR coils you ordered and what mods you had to make to get them to work. Thanks.
    Never wrestle with a pig... you get dirty and the pig enjoys it...

Quote Originally Posted by bikpaintr View Post
    Send Kzmille a PM about the leak. I believe he's the one that offers a repair service if you send him the right engine case cover.
    I had the same leak and sent the entire sidecover along with the new seals to kzmille in FL. He replaced the seals and sent the cover back in about 1 week
    upload gambar
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 1000
    2002 Aprilia Futura - sold
    2014 Kawasaki 750 Brute Force

Quote Originally Posted by The Fixer View Post
    Originally Posted by v-twin
    hey, The GSXR coils came from the 00-03 GSXR-750. I Check the service manual of all the GSXR and decided that this are the one with the closest primary resistance. .9-1.2 ohms. the other GSXR model are 1.2-1.9 ohms. However, when i received the coils and check the resistance it was 1.6 Ohms..

Quote Originally Posted by Motech View Post
    Originally Posted by v-twin
    hey, The GSXR coils came from the 00-03 GSXR-750. I Check the service manual of all the GSXR and decided that this are the one with the closest primary resistance. .9-1.2 ohms. the other GSXR model are 1.2-1.9 ohms. However, when i received the coils and check the resistance it was 1.6 Ohms..
    does your meter have a scale low enough to see less than an ohm? My cheaper meter does(my older, better meter does not). It reads 0.4 ohms(not zero) across it's own leads. That error would put those coils in the right ballpark. Just a thought. rick

Quote Originally Posted by bikpaintr View Post
    My guess is you will find out it is coming from the water pump weep hole. The oil seal in there is a weak link. Make sure you haven't overfilled the oil level. Not everyone agrees but I've found that running the oil level too high can knock out that seal.
    Both of my Fut's had light seepage in that area, both were overfilled with oil when I got them.
    2007 Tuono 1000R Factory - 22K miles
    Cored OE Racing CansMap2Pazzo Shorty Knock-offs15-40AF1 Link PlatesAprilia Sliders
    Laminar WindscreenLowered PegsLED City and Tag Lights
    ProTaper Universal LowClear Signal Lenses

2017 Z125 PRO in Candy Lime Green
    Many mods

2001 Futura in Silver - Sold, after 8.5 years of service.

Retired - DJ, Turntablist, MC, Creator, Video Editor and Mixologist.
    Cored OE Cans vs Leo Vince Titanium Vid
    Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

Chrome extension to see photobucket blocked pics.

Quote Originally Posted by RAS View Post
    does your meter have a scale low enough to see less than an ohm? My cheaper meter does(my older, better meter does not). It reads 0.4 ohms(not zero) across it's own leads. That error would put those coils in the right ballpark. Just a thought. rick
    Dunno, V-Twin's the one what measured 'em. Mine zero's though, a Fluke 87 with supposed excellent resistance accuracy, but I still don't trust it to be closer than .2 ohm.

Anyways, if you install the Suzuki coils, a little extra resistance is always more desirable than less. Less resistance = more current flowing through computer drivers = high heat = premature PCM failure. Be careful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast