Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Braking 'Bang for the Buck'

Braking 'Bang for the Buck'

I want to improve the the feel and power of my Fut brakes.
    My Victory, which looks to have the exact same Brembo calipers and rotors,
    has a significantly better braking feel and power.

I know there is an abundance of knowledge here on this topic.
    Sooo, what is the easiest path to better Fut brakes?
    '02 Futura, Blue
    97k miles and all is well.

Some people think the stock brake lines are sufficient, but I put the braided lines on mine and it made a huge improvement for 'feel'. The other suggestion would be to try a stickier pad. I haven't had the need so I'll let others recommend a compound.
    AB the anti-post-whore
    '06 YZ450F

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive we tie a rope around their necks and hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours." - Sir Charles Napier

"Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - George Orwell

New rotors and better pads make a world of difference! I love the DP pads or Carbone Lorraine pads. Those alone will improve the braking power without doing anything else.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

I don't understand all the fuss with changing the brakes! I pull on the lever and it stops. The harder I pull, the faster it de-accelerates. If I pull hard enough, it breaks traction, which indicates to me that there is no more to be had. Each time I use them, I get the same linear predictable result. I experience no fade. I would not want them more sensitive or less linear. More sensitive would only require me to be more exact in my pressure. I can easily apply enough pressure as they are.

apriliaforum expert bullit in head's Avatar
    I have to say that the original brakes were brilliant, mainly as I stepped up from twin pot slidding calipers...but ...

since I have up-graded to 320mm discs the differance is amazing , I've always had ss lines, and the pads were the same I had on the 300mm discs, maybe the material in the disc is different , but there damn impressive now.

a couple of years ago I scoured the discs (300mm) with an orbital sander and that improved them for a while, the intial bite was proberbly a bit brutal they stopped great with good feel (after the intial bite). but alas only lasted a while until they wore back to crap.

bullit
    Pilot Roads 2CT, H-PIPE, BEF's, Touno forks and a Wilbers Rear end, R&G FRame sliders, Rhino barend sliders, RhinoMoto front axle sliders,(thats a hole lota sliding to be done)MILLE BOOT, K&N, HID's LED running light , Heated Grips, Double bubble(now removed) and a whole lot of attitude.and renault coils.

apriliaforum expert commandodave's Avatar
    Have you done the free brake upgrade yet?

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=57482

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by commandodave View Post
    Have you done the free brake upgrade yet?

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=57482

Dave
    Yes, and I was pretty happy with my Fut brakes until I bought the Victory.
    Ignorance and all that bliss.

Then the 'Duc' arrived.
    Now I feel like I'm nearly bursting a hydraulic line to get my Fut to stop.

Believe I'm presently running Galfer FD176 pads. Maybe they have become contaminated.
    Last edited by rblue02; 03-26-2008 at 03:22 PM.
    '02 Futura, Blue

I've raced on several different brake pads and compounds. I've settled on Vesrah pads. They are awesome. I do like a fairly strong initial bite. I would highly recommend the RJ compound for the street. The RJL or SRJL may be too powerful for you. I'm currently running the RJ pads along with stock lines, etc. My braking performance is awesome. Just make sure to bead blast the rotors before using the new pads and you have fresh brake fluid with absolutely zero air in the system. If you do this, you will have way more brake than you actually need for the street.
    WERA Expert #2
    Go Fund Me for my stem cell therapy trip here: http://www.gofundme.com/a9wmzs

Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk View Post
    New rotors and better pads make a world of difference! I love the DP pads or Carbone Lorraine pads. Those alone will improve the braking power without doing anything else.

Pundits may belittle the upgrade... I believe it's the best mod I've done.
    ďThe roadís what counts...donít worry about where itís goiní."
    - Sam Shepard
    "When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive."
    -Neil Peart

I have replace the rotors with EBC prolite contour, pads are EBC HH, the lines are Spiegler SS.
    All of these mods have made an noticeable improvement in the braking, not just the stopping power , but the feel and control. Control is what you are after, being able to lock the wheel is not the point. Having great stopping power and the ability to control it is what I want.
    upload gambar
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 1000
    2002 Aprilia Futura - sold
    2014 Kawasaki 750 Brute Force

Quote Originally Posted by rblue02 View Post
    Yes, and I was pretty happy with my Fut brakes until I bought the Victory.
    Ignorance and all that bliss.

Then the 'Duc' arrived.
    Now I feel like I'm nearly bursting a hydraulic line to get my Fut to stop.

Believe I'm presently running Galfer FD176 pads. Maybe they have become contaminated.
    What does the Duc weigh? Low 400lb range? I'm not surprised it stops so much better then the Futura. Pull 100 lbs off the Futura & I bet its braking will feel amazing also.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

apriliaforum expert Old Wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 50Joe View Post
    I've raced on several different brake pads and compounds. I've settled on Vesrah pads. They are awesome. I do like a fairly strong initial bite. I would highly recommend the RJ compound for the street. The RJL or SRJL may be too powerful for you. I'm currently running the RJ pads along with stock lines, etc. My braking performance is awesome. Just make sure to bead blast the rotors before using the new pads and you have fresh brake fluid with absolutely zero air in the system. If you do this, you will have way more brake than you actually need for the street.
    Boy 50Joe you have it 100% right. Vesrah are a hidden treasure. When I was still running on the tracks, I could just squeezed down with 2 fingers and feel the rear end just lift as I rolled into a 140 MPH corner....absolutly great brake pads.
    The Old Wanderer

Iron Butt #32691

Life starts at around 30 but begins to get really fascinating approaching 150!!!

2007 Beta RR525 (The dirt gorilla)
    2008 KLR 705 Just for kicking up a bit of dust.
    2001 Aprilia Falco(s) A blue one and a Red one
    2000 CBR 600 F4 Honda (Quick track bike)
    2003 Aprilia Futura (When you really want to be thier quickly)
    2002 Aprilia CapoNor.Dirt road dust trail .
    2001 Aprilia Falco (Track)(The project that never ends)
    2000 Aprilia RS 250 GP...(Gone to a better home)
    1984 Honda V65 Sabre(RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Wanderer View Post
    Boy 50Joe you have it 100% right. Vesrah are a hidden treasure. When I was still running on the tracks, I could just squeezed down with 2 fingers and feel the rear end just lift as I rolled into a 140 MPH corner....absolutly great brake pads.
    for Vesrah pads! I liked the consistency of the RJ pads for road use even after several thousand miles. The EBC HH's and CL pads are great at first, but after a couple of thousand miles, they start to lose their linearity and feel wooden (this was with a VTR using stock calipers, S/S lines and cast iron rotors). They're worth a try.
    Don

Yes, of my 3 bikes, I like the feel of the Victory brakes the best.
    Don't know what pads it has, but it has Brembo brakes and braided lines stock. Firm lever, great brake torque/bite, great power & modulation.

The Ducati brakes are awesome, but perhaps too sensitive for the street.
    Definately will be too sensitive in the rain.

For the Fut, I'll try the Vesrah RJ pads along with the bead blast.
    (I used to metal-wire-brush-via-drill my race car rotors between weekends. Do you suppose this would be an acceptable equivalent to bead blasting?)

I'll the above is not enough, then I'll go with new rotors, and then SS lines, if required.

Thanks guys!
    '02 Futura, Blue

Well, the Vesrah RJ pads appear to be no longer available.
    Web sites only speak of the RJL, and I haven't found a Futura part #.
    '02 Futura, Blue

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast