Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to fix those f'oggin gauges

How to fix those f'oggin gauges

I've had a couple of emails about defogging the gauges, so as I had some spare time today, and mine needed doing, I thought I'd do the pic thing to show how I did it (BTW, this is the second time I've done this first on the RSV and now the T, so I'm getting good at it):

Please note: all LH (left hand) and RH (right hand) references are as if you were sitting on the bike - regardless of the pics - OK!

PLEASE NOTE 2! If you copy this procedure there's no responsibility etc etc taken even if you follow these directions and still manage to stuff up your gauges and have to buy a new set!

First up, the required tools to split the gauges:

If these don't work for you, you can use this:

or this (but only as a last resort):

2nd and most important thing I did was to crank up my aircon (whacked it on DRY) inside the house where I do the actual job (if you don't have aircon, maybe you could organize somewhere where there is a dry atmosphere or where you can generate a dry atmosphere - inside your car with the aircon running?).

First step I removed the front fairing (you can disconnect the indicator connectors if you want and then completely remove the fairing, or just leave them on and let it hang by the wires over the front wheel - 2nd option saves some time):

NOTE: 3 bolts on BOTH sides of fairing - sorry.

Next, I removed the harness from the gauge plug by simply, but carefully, lifting the grey lever up. This forces the harness connector from the back of the gauge plug:

Now, the trick to removing the gauges is not to go and pull the rest of the front of the bike off to get to that bottom RH screw (remember thats the RH side as if you were sitting on the bike - so it's LEFT when looking at this pic), but just remove the top two screws:

I then pulled the LH side of the gauge towards the back of the bike to clear the mount (that's RH looking at the pic).

I then just slid the gauges across to the right (do I need to explain that again?) to release them from the mounts.

Now I've got the gauges in my hand, it's time to head inside. Note the bottom screw still in place, trust me, all will become clear if you do it.

Using the small blade screwdiver, I apply gentle pressure to one of the tabs at the back of the BLACK surround, hold with a finger, and move to another tab and do the same. I'm then able to gently pry the surround from the the main unit (there is a second 'lip' that catches the surround as you pull it off, I just applied some outward pressure at one point and the rest followed):

I'm now ready to remove the clear cover. This is held in place by several brittle tabs. DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO PRY THESE UP AND LEVER THE LENS OFF - they will snap in an instant.

The trick to getting it off is very simple. I use the thin bladed knife for this. I simply slid the knife blade between the lens and the unit near a tab and apply a twisting motion as if I was trying to seperate the two. Kept the pressure on and got the small screwdriver and very, very gently just slightly lifted the closest tab. It pops over the lip without breaking.

Repeated this process at the next tab. After the two tabs are clear the lens falls out into my hand with a little gentle guidance.

Next step was to thoroughly clean the lens with a neutral pH cleaner (baby shampoo or something similar). Rinsed and dried it well and was then careful NOT TO TOUCH THE INSIDE OF THE LENS with my fingers.

Then applied a good anti fog agent - I did NOT USE RAINEX or similar products not designed for plastics as they will DO BAD THINGS TO THE LENS. Local scuba shop or industrial/mining supplier should be able to help.

While I was waiting for the anti fog to dry, I removed the old sealer from the main unit:

After following the anti fog manufacturer’s directions, it's time to reassemble.

First I applied a good sealer to the rim of the unit WHERE THE CLEAR LENS SITS (not where the outer black one sits - obvious, but an easy and messy mistake to make):

I needed to be a little generous with the sealer otherwise I ended up with this happening:

...when what I really want is this:

Pressed on the lens making sure that the tabs click over their lips and cleaned off any sealer that squeezed out.

Replace the black surround and hey, now looking at this:

A beautifully clean, clear and permanently fog-free gauge (that reflects clouds really well).

Re-assembled in the reverse, being EXTRA careful with the harness plug - lots of little pins in there!

This might seem too much of a pain to do yourself, but in reality it's piss easy to do - as a guide it's taken me about 3 times longer to write this up than it did to do the job! Expect to spend about 1 hour from start to finish - max.

Last edited by TUONOAPE; 01-07-2008 at 08:22 AM.
    "I have had mostly Ducatiís for over 10 years... thank goodness I found the Aprilia!" (Sinex 2008)

"It's not that the Monster's a bad bike - certainly, ridden in isolation it's very satisfying - it's just that the Tuono's so capable it overshadows it in almost every way"
    (Bike)
    "It really is a solid block - and compared to a Ducati, well its like comparing apples and oranges."
    (Ceros47 2006)

Great post Ape! I didn't realize it was that easy.
    Current Aprilia: 2006 Caponord
    Previous Aprilia: 2007 Tuono, 2009 Shiver
    Worst crash: 2007 SVX 550 (blown motor)

Thanks for the post, I am sure it's a matter of time. Too bad you can't thow a pack of dessicant in there. How long does it generally last or is it a one time deal?
    Black 07 Tuono, Leo Vince Gen III Titanium carbon fibre tips, Ohlin rear, tinted windscreen, 15t
    , Suzuki DRZ 400S, VW Eos 2L turbo, GMC Yukon
    PlanetAprilia.com<BR>Schwinn Speedster 2 speed kick back when not motoring, and Varsity, and 1955 Corvette (Schwinn) and about 20 other Schwinn bikes

apriliaforum expert
    Without doubt that's one of the best "how to's" I've read for ages....

This DEFFO needs stickying somewhere next or near to to Kzmillie's rear brake fix...

Thanks for your effort Ape...

Quote Originally Posted by eSells View Post
    Thanks for the post, I am sure it's a matter of time. Too bad you can't thow a pack of dessicant in there. How long does it generally last or is it a one time deal?
    I had to do it on the '04 RSV. Only did it the once and never had a problem after that. I reckon if it doesn't do it as soon as you get the bike, then it won't do it. My next RSV never had a problem, but then the T was fogging the day I picked it up! They are well sealed so I don't think it's a matter of moisture getting in over time. I had a good look at the this one and there doesn't seem to be anywhere that I reckon moisture could get in. I think it's at the assembly point that's the problem.
    "I have had mostly Ducatiís for over 10 years... thank goodness I found the Aprilia!" (Sinex 2008)

"It's not that the Monster's a bad bike - certainly, ridden in isolation it's very satisfying - it's just that the Tuono's so capable it overshadows it in almost every way"
    (Bike)
    "It really is a solid block - and compared to a Ducati, well its like comparing apples and oranges."
    (Ceros47 2006)

Thumbs up

Indeed great posting Ape ! Hope the pictures and the topic stays, in case I need to fix those gauges.
    great job to post this !!!
    Italian motorcycles,Irish Whiskey, Belgian Beer and French Ricard, the best a man can get...
    http://users.pandora.be/Watcher1

apriliaforum expert Maxacceleration's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TUONOAPE View Post
    I reckon if it doesn't do it as soon as you get the bike, then it won't do it.
    My guages stayed clear to 5000 miles, then fogged up. And my rear brake made it to 5000 miles also and then gave out.
    All is good now.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
    My guages stayed clear to 5000 miles, then fogged up.
    There you go then, another theory of mine up the shoot, thanks Max

(Bike)
    (Ceros47 2006)

Mine only fogged one time but cleared up when the sun came out.
    Current Aprilia: 2006 Caponord
    Previous Aprilia: 2007 Tuono, 2009 Shiver
    Worst crash: 2007 SVX 550 (blown motor)

apriliaforum Junkie DaleInPhoenix's Avatar

No Flames????

Good job Tuonoape.

I did the same thing to my gages over a year ago and when I posted (without pics) I got all kind of grief from some folks on the board about voiding the warranty. I figure it does me no good to have my bike sitting in the shop waiting for gage set after gage set with the same problem to be sent from Italy when I could be riding. I haven't had a problem with fogging since I did the fix.

DaleInPhoenix.

Ape....."whack the aircon up in the house" are you taking the piss mate. The only thing we whack up in the house in the UK is the fooking heating !!

2008 CBR1000RR-SOLD
    2006 Tuono R-SOLD
    GSXR 1100-WRITTEN OFF
    FZR 1000 Exup-SOLD
    ZXR 750-SOLD
    CBR 600-SOLD
    GPZ 600-SOLD

When you're looking at low 40deg C its definitely the A/C you want on!
    Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination.
    - Ray Goodman

Quote Originally Posted by splatty View Post
    Ape....."whack the aircon up in the house" are you taking the piss mate. The only thing we whack up in the house in the UK is the fooking heating !!
    No sympathy Splatty, you should have all jumped on the boat when you had the opportunity a few hundred years ago!

(Bike)
    (Ceros47 2006)

T-Ape,
    Could you post a picture of the knife and screwdriver placement during the following the procedure...

Thanks in advance

I'm now ready to remove the clear cover. This is held in place by several brittle tabs. DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO PRY THESE UP AND LEVER THE LENS OFF - they will snap in an instant.

The trick to getting it off is very simple. I use the thin bladed knife for this. I simply slid the knife blade between the lens and the unit near a tab and apply a twisting motion as if I was trying to seperate the two. Kept the pressure on and got the small screwdriver and very, very gently just slightly lifted the closest tab. It pops over the lip without breaking.
    If you reached 101% of your ability, you only realised 99% of your potential.

Mods:
    Akropovic/Aprilia Street Legal Performance Exhaust.
    Fabbri Double-Bubble Screen.
    Open Loop Aprilia Fuel Map.
    Balanced TB's.
    Working Rear Brake - Bled properly.
    Working Clutch - Annealed copper washer seals.
    Reworked Electrical crimps and connectors.
    Suspension setup.
    Fabbri Doublebubble Screen
    Zymol Ital Glaze prepared paint.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
    When you're looking at low 40deg C its definitely the A/C you want on!
    It's another scorcher today! 41 before the change comes through with a low overnight of 27 degrees...

My guages fogged once, last winter but not since. But the humidity is low at the moment and not a problem.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast