Thread: 98+ forks on 95 triples and wheel

apriliaforum prov-nov

98+ forks on 95 triples and wheel

Hi all,

This is not a 'can it be done' but 'I've done it' thread. However, wish to get you peeps comments.

Basically I've used triples, front rim and brake disc from a 1995 RS and use a 98 forks, axle and calipers. The result is this:

Because the 98 forks are 50/53mm at the clamps, I had to use a 0.5mm stainless steel sheet as a spacer at the lower clamp. I might change it to a 0.6mm one, to account for deformation.

Since I'm using the 98 axle with 95 rims, I need new bearings and spacers. The bearings number are 6905 (25mm ID, 42mm OD, 9mm width). However, the original bearings were 12 mm wide, hence you can see there's a gap between the bearing and the wheel hub, instead of being flushed.

I need in total 3 spacers, all of 25 mm ID. One for between the wheel bearings. Cut it out of an aluminium tube.

Lastly, I need 2 spacers to align the wheel in the center of the forks. 22mm and 8 mm respectively.

Here are some shots of the allowance at the brake calipers and the disc, after I put everything together.

Left disc outer side

Left disc inner side

Right disc outer side

Right disc inner side

I was quite concern with the clearance between the brake caliper and the rims. But after comparing calipers I realise they have the same width. So it should be alright.

So, is this a good thing? Or unsafe?

Tks,
    hansen

The Anal Intruder William the Third's Avatar
    Looks good. I'm not sure why you would want to switch to the better forks but keep the older wheel and clamp, but you did a good job never the less.

What are the sizes for the old forks? I am guessing they are 50mm top and 54mm bottom since I don't see any spacers up top and you wrapped 0.5mm stainless sheet around the bottom.
    #1 Forum Loser

1973 Harley-Davidson Aermacchi Z-90 - Restoration project
    1983 Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre - Fathers old bike
    1998 Kawasaki KE100 - My first bike at 14
    1998 Laverda Ghost Strike 668 - A fun little bike
    1999 Aprilia RS250 - Track bike
    2001 Aprilia RSV Mille - My first Aprilia
    2007 Aprilia SR50R Factory - My babe magnet
    2009 Aprilia SR50R Factory - My "help me I have a problem"

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaDeadsouls View Post
    Looks good. I'm not sure why you would want to switch to the better forks but keep the older wheel and clamp, but you did a good job never the less.

What are the sizes for the old forks? I am guessing they are 50mm top and 54mm bottom since I don't see any spacers up top and you wrapped 0.5mm stainless sheet around the bottom.
    Ya, they are 50/54mm. Same as the GSX-Rs, R1/R6s...

I keep the older clamps and rims because of financial reasons...and they are kinda hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by snowparang View Post
    Ya, they are 50/54mm. Same as the GSX-Rs, R1/R6s...
    Thanks. One last question. What are the offset and distance center to center across the forks? Just curious how different the older front end is compaired to the newer front end. I know the newer front end has a 35mm offset and is 205mm center to center.

I keep the older clamps and rims because of financial reasons...and they are kinda hard to find.
    Good points. Shipping would also be a killer if you couldn't find it locally.
    #1 Forum Loser

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaDeadsouls View Post
    Thanks. One last question. What are the offset and distance center to center across the forks? Just curious how different the older front end is compaired to the newer front end. I know the newer front end has a 35mm offset and is 205mm center to center.
    RS250 95-97
    Center to center: 200 mm
    Offset: 30mm

I'm quite surprised it's only 5 mm difference for the center-center dist, cos the rims are half an inch wider.

Could you measure the disc-disc distance?

RS250 95-97
    Center to center: 200 mm
    Offset: 30mm

I'm quite surprised it's only 5 mm difference for the center-center dist, cos the rims are half an inch wider.
    Thanks. Yeah, I though it would be a lot more than a 5 mm difference.

Could you measure the disc-disc distance?
    I'm unable to measure down at the hub right now, would be a bit too much work right now to remove the rotors. But I was able to measure across the outside of the rotors and got 129 mm. I think all years use the same rotors so a little math will tell how much difference there is in the 3" and 3.5" wheels.
    #1 Forum Loser

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks so much for this. I also picked up a good cheap set of Mk.2 forks and am not obsessed with running a 120 on the front like most.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by sepiltz View Post
    Thanks so much for this. I also picked up a good cheap set of Mk.2 forks and am not obsessed with running a 120 on the front like most.
    Your quite right I've just sold my dymags front rim 3.50 tyre 120, rear rim 5.00 tyre 160 that were fitted mk1
    Rides, handles and steers better on 110 & 150 with stock size rims .
    On the plus side still good choice sticky rubber available for mk1

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by tj67 View Post
    Your quite right I've just sold my dymags front rim 3.50 tyre 120, rear rim 5.00 tyre 160 that were fitted mk1
    Rides, handles and steers better on 110 & 150 with stock size rims .
    On the plus side still good choice sticky rubber available for mk1
    Selling you're Dymags shows a real commitment to the cause!
    I'm sure this has been discussed previously on this forum (possibly ad infinitum) but what the hey, here's my 2 cents worth.
    I reckon Aprilia got it right the first time. I've owned both and the Mk.2 could kinda be any modern sporstbike (apart from the smoke). It's lost some of the magic by running wider tyres. No doubt Aprilia felt they needed to respond to market forces and stay ahead of the game but I'll take the Mk.1 over Mk.2s thanks - putting quality of forks aside of-course (and the Mk.1 forks really aren't that bad). The styling is also better to my eye with sharper lines, no silly dummy air intake and nice analogue clocks. It disturbs me that Mk.2s command so much higher a sale price mostly on the strength of the wider front rim. In reality you're not going to ride any faster on public roads and it's probably only the better racers are going to benefit from the extra grip.

apriliaforum newb
    I've also sold ohlins top spec rear shock along with the dymag wheels on eBay few weeks ago
    Bought brand new oem rear shock
    My front forks are stock fitted with maxton gp cartridge kit.
    Aprilia has never felt so good . Some things are best left as is
    Our bikes are 20 years old and may feel tired new tyres and suspension service make it feel like new

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by tj67 View Post
    I've also sold ohlins top spec rear shock along with the dymag wheels on eBay few weeks ago
    Bought brand new oem rear shock
    My front forks are stock fitted with maxton gp cartridge kit.
    Aprilia has never felt so good . Some things are best left as is
    Our bikes are 20 years old and may feel tired new tyres and suspension service make it feel like new
    I have to ask - why the shock swap?