Thread: My RS dont like water.....

apriliaforum Member

My RS dont like water.....

Any ideas lads.
    The bikes died on me twice over the last 2 months.First time was the day after i power washed it.....just started spluttering and conked out 20 minutes into my journey.
    Second time was this morning........been riding in heavy rain for about 15 minutes and it spluttered twice and started chugging/misfiring.Decided to turn round and take it back home but only got half way back and it died on me again.
    It`s gotta be something to do with water getting in somewhere but i`ve no idea where/what could be making this happen.Got any ideas??

The wierdest thing is this though.........when it happens if i lift the tank up and just fiddle with all the wires for 5 minutes then start it up......it works again.??
    Batterys fine,starter turns over but engine doesnt fire up,newish bike.

WTF????????

Are you running an aftermarket air filter?

Kawasaki

T R A C K D A Y S ...... Because golf is for Faggots!
    ZXR-400

apriliaforum Member
    no bud....totally stock bike apart from sprockets.

1st things 1st. dont powerwash it! u will wreck all the seals, and blow all the grease out of shock link etc.

-my rs used to let water in thru the petrol filler cap! the seal had gone under there.
    -could be the fuse box getting wet, but normally a fuse would blow.
    -sounds more like a fuel/water prob tho.
    Take it easy

many rs125 parts avalible, see link, or pm me if u cant find what u needhttp://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=135215

2005 k4 gsxr- done so far :-yohsi tri oval can, 6x3 plate,paddock bobbins,R&G crash bungs,smoked DB screen,flush mount smoked front indys,stubby gold CRG levers,Sato quick release tank lifter,K&N filter,undertray with built in indys
    http://bikepics.com/members/dcy/

Well it sounds electric related then, water getting between a point and casuing a faulty connection. Check your HT leads, spark plug, cdi wiring. Anything that has anything to do with engine electronics check the connections.

And stop using a pressure washer.

Kawasaki

T R A C K D A Y S ...... Because golf is for Faggots!
    ZXR-400

also, the kill switch on these like to take water on, shorting the circuit. spray some wd40 in it
    Take it easy

many rs125 parts avalible, see link, or pm me if u cant find what u needhttp://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=135215

2005 k4 gsxr- done so far :-yohsi tri oval can, 6x3 plate,paddock bobbins,R&G crash bungs,smoked DB screen,flush mount smoked front indys,stubby gold CRG levers,Sato quick release tank lifter,K&N filter,undertray with built in indys

Id say a part of your electrical system is getting damp, a quick wiggle will often cure the problem for again a few mins before it all happens again.

You could try waterproofing your whole electrical system, loom, ecu, rave, the lot.

Just to eliminate that problem, if you had water in the fuel tank it would do it all the time not just in the rain, as my first mito had rusty water in the tank where it had been sat outside for months before i bought it.

It would always die at a certain rpm, so id say its electrical issue mate.

Try and and let us know.

Best regards rob @ Formula Rs

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
    The only "goin down the road" mine`s gonna do is "on two wheels going forwards"....lol

There`s no curse........just silly twats who cant ride.
    Still think its not cursed? lol

OMG You powerwashed a bike

WD40. With the bike dry, spray all the electrical connections, coil, plug lead, etc. and leave it for an hour.

You might find that while the WD40 drives moisture out of the electrics it will make it worse for about 24 hours - misfiring and the like. Over winter it's worth repeating this every few weeks.

Rob

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley_Aprilia View Post

lmao ...you twat.

but to set the record straight...it was STILL going forwards AND on 2 wheels.Its just a shame i was pushing it to the nearest bus shelter.....LOL

cheers for the replies lads.....i left it in the garage for an hour and its back to normal again now.Works fine.Temperamental little shit....
    That`s the last time i go out on it when it`s raining hard and i sure wont be going near a jetwash ever again.
    (and i`ll get some grease/wd40 around all the connectors etc when it`s fully dried out)

use wd40, not grease. wd40 will drive moisture out
    Take it easy

apriliaforum Member
    o.k cool...gotcha.No grease then.
    cheers dcy

Yea good idea,

like i said before, the electrics are getting damp in places, so get a big bottle of wd40 and go round the whole bike spraying it. lol

How bout you connect the powerwasher to the bottle of wd40, shouldnt take long.
    lol

but on a serious note, i think you will find thats your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley_Aprilia View Post