Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Cored Pipes. How did you do it?

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperhawkLGT View Post
    Exactly what I was planning, I don't want mine deafeningly loud just want to be able to hear that thunder.
    Yeah I live in a complex of townhouses, I even share my garage wall with next door. So I can't have offensively loud Despite the safety benefits.

I've got the idea in my head that its so rediculously loud because half of the air coming out doesn't even bounce off the perf sheet and muffler packing - it's straight through so only the gases near the sides of the tube get dampened. By preventing line of sight, I reckon I can force the gases to bounce off the walls at least once or twice, and that should take a lot of the sting out of the dB, but still providing a much higher a freer flow than the stock setup. Concept drawing is this:

'97 Aprilia RS250 - sold

'04 Aprilia RSVR
    R&G,Rhinomoto&Woodcraft Frame Sliders
    Ohlins Adj Steering Damper

J_Man210

Checked out your youtube video, very nice. Just curious to know of your removed the cats?
    There's no replacement for displacement!

2009 Ducati 1198---Termignoni Exhaust, Helibars
    2007 RSV-R---15/43 sprockets, Cored & shortened stock pipes Ricks Stator
    1997 Suzuki TL 1000S
    2004 Yamaha R1---Sold
    1998 Suzuki TL 1000S---Sold
    2003 Yamaha R6---Sold
    2001 Honda F4I 600---Sold
    2002 Suzuki Katana 600---Sold
    2001 Kawasaki EX500---Sold

apriliaforum expert Ape Man 2007's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RS250 maTTz View Post
    Yeah I live in a complex of townhouses, I even share my garage wall with next door. So I can't have offensively loud Despite the safety benefits.

I've got the idea in my head that its so rediculously loud because half of the air coming out doesn't even bounce off the perf sheet and muffler packing - it's straight through so only the gases near the sides of the tube get dampened. By preventing line of sight, I reckon I can force the gases to bounce off the walls at least once or twice, and that should take a lot of the sting out of the dB, but still providing a much higher a freer flow than the stock setup. Concept drawing is this:

How about not removing the cats. That should make it less loud.
    Life's to Short, Don't WASTE it.

Let's HELP SAVE the Planet - RECYCLE

----------------------------------------

New RSV4 Factory (coming soon - I hope )
    '07 RSVR (Mods on-going)
    '99 SV650S (SOLD)
    '87 Yamaha RS100 (first bike) - GONE !

apriliaforum prov-nov
    yes the cats were removed

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilia Rider View Post
    How about not removing the cats. That should make it less loud.
    Yeah I'll not remove them, but I'm under the impression that even with the CATS in place, it'll still be offensively loud? What about if I ride the bike to work and start it up at 7AM... neighbours will be pissed off their nuts!
    '97 Aprilia RS250 - sold

'04 Aprilia RSVR

apriliaforum prov-nov
    i leave at 10pm and get home at 6am. never had a complaint. most everyone that has ever heard my bike has had only good things to say about the sound. if youre going to put forth the effort you might as well go all the way or just leave them alone.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS250 maTTz View Post
    Yeah I'll not remove them, but I'm under the impression that even with the CATS in place, it'll still be offensively loud? What about if I ride the bike to work and start it up at 7AM... neighbours will be pissed off their nuts!
    I left the cats in and its offensively loud in my opinion. Don't get me wrong the sound is awesome but I purchased some db killes from uk ebay to try and tone it down for the street riding. When I take it to the track I will remove them.

apriliaforum expert SuperhawkLGT's Avatar
    Let us know how that goes.

I also left the cats in, and yes it is still very loud. Its really at its loudest when I first start it from cold and its idling quickly. After it has warmed up and the revs have dropped it not so bad. After a long run and its hot it is also a bit quieter.

Still loud though don't get me wrong but the best tone you can possibly get from an RSV in my opinion!

Pulled up at a petrol station behind two guys on Tuonos with Akkys, they heard me coming over theirs. I don't think they could understand how anything could sound better than their pair of 600 investments!!

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigj View Post
    I also left the cats in, and yes it is still very loud. Its really at its loudest when I first start it from cold and its idling quickly. After it has warmed up and the revs have dropped it not so bad. After a long run and its hot it is also a bit quieter.

Still loud though don't get me wrong but the best tone you can possibly get from an RSV in my opinion!

Pulled up at a petrol station behind two guys on Tuonos with Akkys, they heard me coming over theirs. I don't think they could understand how anything could sound better than their pair of 600 investments!!
    haha gold
    '97 Aprilia RS250 - sold

'04 Aprilia RSVR

apriliaforum Member
    db killers are installed and very pleased
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0375_done.jpg 
Views:	675 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	89224  

Last edited by garrettg; 07-31-2008 at 10:18 PM.

apriliaforum Member
    I've got two 3" cores coming from LA choppers and 2 bags of silent sport packing . I will probably start working on them in the next month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by cookhj View Post
    I've got two 3" cores coming from LA choppers and 2 bags of silent sport packing . I will probably start working on them in the next month or so.
    Those 3" cores may be a tad oversized...i got 2 1/2" from Area P and they fit wonderfully!

apriliaforum expert SuperhawkLGT's Avatar
    Garret, could you give us some more info? How did you secure them and how much quieter are they? Inquiring minds want to know.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperhawkLGT View Post
    Garret, could you give us some more info? How did you secure them and how much quieter are they? Inquiring minds want to know.

I drilled a hole on the bottom and there is a screw that secures the db killer in place. I used a 7mm wrench on the screw and the hole is 4-5mm in size. Its quieter maybe 3-6 db's. The bike is still plenty loud with them in place, much louder than the stock pipes with the stock cores. The way these were designed they still allow plenty of air around the disc that is suppose to force it through the small pipe. I used the area p 2.5" cores and had these db killers made for 57mm which is about 2.25".

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast