Thread: Dyno Question

Dyno Question

Hello Folks,
    New to the board & new to Aprilia's. I just took possession of a very nice 07 model. Thanks Jim!!! Anyway, I had it dyno'd last week and I am wondering if the numbers make sense given the after-market goodies that jgpmi installed. My numbers came out at this:

Peak HP – 105.92 @ 9,900RPM
    Peak Torque – 60.1 ft/Lbs @ 8,900RPM

Looking for feed back on this dyno chart. Is this what I should expect with Leo's, MAP2 and PC III?

Thanks in advance.
    Chris
    "If you are scared to go to the brink, you are lost." - John Foster Dulles - Statesman

07 Silver/Gray Tuono
    TI/Carbon LEO's, OZ Wheels, PC III, Ohlins Dampener & Rear, Acculign Rearsets, Carbon Hugger & Front Fender, CRG Levers, RhinoMoto Bar Ends, CRG Mirrors, Clear lenses, Rear Fender Eliminator, Woodcraft sliders
    03 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Our race bike (stock 2006 Tuono in race bodywork) for Moto-St, with fuel map 2 dialed in showed about 113 hp - we put a set of Leo Vince pipes on it and it jumped to 120 hp

We did find that different Dynos give different readings (there were two available at Daytona) and as we checked the bikes pretty frequently, they differed pretty frequently also. (Series is hp limited, so we didn't want to exceed the limit.) The race ones appeared to be a little lower reading than the ones where people are trying to sell you something performance oriented.

Ours read 109 hp after 8 hours racing so I would say your 106 may be a tad shy - but I'd bet it would read different on another Dyno.

You can probably tell that I lost a lot of faith in Dynos after our racing experience.

There has been a lot about this subject posted - you might try a search on Dynos or fuel mapping, etc.
    2004 Tuono Factory
    2003 Yamaha FZ1 (sold to buy Tuono - great idea!)
    2004 BMW R1150R (sold - I'm old, but this is really an old codger's bike)
    2003 Suzuki SV650S (sold - my old wrists couldn't handle it - but, wanting another now for a track bike)
    Acro-Sport II in the avatar
    and a partridge in a pear tree
    http://monerai.wordpress.com

apriliaforum Junkie 300lbGorilla's Avatar
    Looks about right for a Factory Pro dyno. On a Dynojet you'd be somewhere around 120.
    I am so proud of all this stuff I've bought. Let me list it here so you will be impressed.

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    yep, thats right for a Factory Pro dyno

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback! I had no idea that different dyno's produced different results. So is the Factory Pro dyno conservative when reporting hp/torque figures?

Chris
    "If you are scared to go to the brink, you are lost." - John Foster Dulles - Statesman

07 Silver/Gray Tuono
    TI/Carbon LEO's, OZ Wheels, PC III, Ohlins Dampener & Rear, Acculign Rearsets, Carbon Hugger & Front Fender, CRG Levers, RhinoMoto Bar Ends, CRG Mirrors, Clear lenses, Rear Fender Eliminator, Woodcraft sliders
    03 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iscgrov View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! I had no idea that different dyno's produced different results. So is the Factory Pro dyno conservative when reporting hp/torque figures?

Chris
    more like it reads TRUE hp, with a load cell under steady state conditions, not approximated like all inertia dynes (accelerometers).

We have a FP dyno too....its simply the best/most accurate one out there.

http://www.factorypro.com/dyno/true1.html

torque x rpm / 5252 = horsepower + parasitic power = True HP
    FP has not diddled with physics and joined a power "puff" derby

Just had mine done today. Mivv GP Carbon slipons, EVO filter.

MAP 2
    114.52 HP @ 10,000 rpm
    65.75 @ 8500 Torque

Same mods with MAP 1

111.09 HP @ 10,000rpm
    64.26 @ 8500 Torque

Man I love the sound of my MIVV GP
    07 Fast Red Tuono Clear lenses, 15t, sliders, MIV Carbon GP Cans, Rizoma Mirrors, Rizoma Grips, Carbon Fiber rear Hugger
    93CBR1000, 2001 DRZ400E, 96 XR400

Quote Originally Posted by Ed / AF1 Racing View Post
    more like it reads TRUE hp, with a load cell under steady state conditions, not approximated like all inertia dynes (accelerometers).

We have a FP dyno too....its simply the best/most accurate one out there.

http://www.factorypro.com/dyno/true1.html

torque x rpm / 5252 = horsepower + parasitic power = True HP
    FP has not diddled with physics and joined a power "puff" derby
    Ed,
    Thanks for the information. The article you linked to was great! I would rather know the true numbers on the bike & glad that the dyno was an FP. Out of curiosity, do you have the true hp & torque numbers for a bone stock 07? I am just wondering what the ballpark increase that the mod's had on my bike. Also, the guy who ran the dyno said that I should expect a 2-5hp increase over time, (The bike has 1,300 miles). Does this seem right? He said that the engine is still pretty "tight" and after it is completely "broken-in" I would see some more HP. Sounded reasonable to me but I have no idea if it is true.

Thanks again!

07 Silver/Gray Tuono
    03 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

apriliaforum newb

True HP as compared to Dynojet HP

Quote Originally Posted by iscgrov View Post
    Hello Folks,
    New to the board & new to Aprilia's. I just took possession of a very nice 07 model. Thanks Jim!!! Anyway, I had it dyno'd last week and I am wondering if the numbers make sense given the after-market goodies that jgpmi installed. My numbers came out at this:

Peak HP – 105.92 @ 9,900RPM
    Peak Torque – 60.1 ft/Lbs @ 8,900RPM

Looking for feed back on this dyno chart. Is this what I should expect with Leo's, MAP2 and PC III?

Thanks in advance.
    Chris
    Hi Chris -

The HP numbers can be confusing - but it's actually simple......

The Factory Pro dyne systems natively read in TRUE HP.

True HP, which is the actual, SAE corrected HP that is actually delivered to the drive roller.

The Dynojet dynos read in Dynojet HP (DJHP).

It's about 10% to 30% higher than True HP and is based on, well, a V-Max's dyno run, many years ago -

So... now there's True HP and DJHP -
    and now it gets goofy again....

All other dyno companies had the TRUE HP numbers, but, because the DJ dynos read higher and sold more units because of it, some tried to emulate the DJHP inflation factor, not understanding (dyno companies typically are NOT engine builders or tuners) that the only way to get exactly the same HP number is to provide the same inertial mass river roller (it's an inertia dyne, regardless of what DJ says) and have the unpublished DJ inflation factors -

So, in the words of the owner of one of the other highend dyne companies, "we have a DJ emulation channel - it's +/- 10% of DJHP.".

So - it's a mess.... There's True HP (which has no inflation factor),
    there's DJHP (with the secret V-Max inflation factor) and then there's the
    "other" dyno company, with either TRUE HP or a channel that displays "something like DJHP, but +/- 10%".

So -
    True HP: 100 True
    DJHP: about 115, depending on the DJ dyno
    DJ emulation from other dyno company: 109 to 126

In TRUE HP, your 105 - 106 on your piped Tuono is right smack dab where it should be.

Say Hi to Dan at Cafe Racer - They have the BEST BBQ!

Best regards -

Marc

Marc Salvisberg
    Factory Pro Dyne Systems
    www.factorypro.com
    800 869-0497
    Last edited by marc99; 10-27-2007 at 12:47 PM. Reason: still can't type and cant spel good, ether.

I can see clearly now

Hey Marc,

Much thanks for the explanation of the various players & their methods. I understand the vendors reasoning for giving the big numbers however I am more interested in a fact than an optimistic guess. I must say that my first experience with the dyno has been a good one & I have learned allot. Dan is a great guy & spent more time with me than he should have. I recommend Cafe Racer to everyone I meet in the KC area & will pass on your greetings when I see them.

Chris

07 Silver/Gray Tuono
    03 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

apriliaforum Member themattreid's Avatar
    so basically dynojet numbers suck. got it.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I haven't heard anyone mention this which is probably the most important part of getting your bike on a dyno...

Regardless of brand of dynomometer, it's the improvements over the baseline that you need to examine.

It cracks me up when I see people arguing over dyno charts because somebody's bike has 120hp and another has 125... It all depends on the brand of dyno and calibration, and quality/detail of tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by DZSV View Post
    I haven't heard anyone mention this which is probably the most important part of getting your bike on a dyno...

Regardless of brand of dynomometer, it's the improvements over the baseline that you need to examine.

It cracks me up when I see people arguing over dyno charts because somebody's bike has 120hp and another has 125... It all depends on the brand of dyno and calibration, and quality/detail of tuning.
    DZSV - think there needs to be a sticky "If you're going to do mods to your T and dyno it, then get it on a dyno first - then do the mods - then take it back to the same dyno"
    "I have had mostly Ducatiís for over 10 years... thank goodness I found the Aprilia!" (Sinex 2008)

"It's not that the Monster's a bad bike - certainly, ridden in isolation it's very satisfying - it's just that the Tuono's so capable it overshadows it in almost every way"
    (Bike)
    "It really is a solid block - and compared to a Ducati, well its like comparing apples and oranges."
    (Ceros47 2006)