Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Play in rear wheel

Quote Originally Posted by arshishb View Post
    Simple, just right click any document & click "save target as" & save it locally in a folder of your choice. Once complete open from your folder. When you click on it, your browser will first try to download it in its cache folder, which will take time & then open it.
    That was too simple should have thought of that , lol now i have it

[QUOTE=bossbob;1594234]An after market allen key driven one is available .... or was
    QUOTE]

I'm the one that was selling those spanners, and I do have some more available. Just search for "spanner" and you should find some pictures in a post I made. If your interested in one, just PM me.
    Kevin
    IBA #27203
    '03 Futura - Ash Black | Borella Rectifier | Wiring Mod | Metal Fuel Disconnect | 05 Map | Hepco-Becker Rack | Corbin Backrest For Passenger (Attachable to Rack) | Famsa Tank Bag | Speedbleeders | Evoluzione Air Filter | Iridium Spark Plugs | Powerlet Socket | Pirelli Diablo Stradas

Inspect before you get too worked up

The three pins can bang up the three wheel holes or the other way around if the wheel has been very loose and the bike ridden hard. If the torque is just slightly loose and there have been no quarter mile jaunts for a low ET you probably don't have much to worry about. I like several others here purchased a tire changer and do all the swaps myself. I also have a Marc Parnes balancer. It is the same method that is used on super bikes at the track so I am very confident in it. I have personally put over 54,000 miles on an 03 RST Futura without any wheel bearings. The bike is tougher than it is being made to sound here.

Do this inspection.

Place the bike on the center stand and put it into first gear. Turn the rear wheel by hand and inspect the connections of the three pins to the rear wheel to see if you get any play when you turn the wheel hard against the engine compression. Since you have torqued the rear wheel there should not be any. If there was a lot of damage there it would have shown some shake when the wheel was a bit loose.

You will always find help faster here than you will ever find it at a dealer. This forum is the second best reason to buy Aprilia.

Welcome aboard!

Bob Davis

"Although all men are born free, slavery has been the general lot of the human race. Ignorant - they have been cheated; asleep - they have been surprised; divided - the yoke has been forced upon them. But what is the lesson? ...the people ought to be enlightened, to be awakened, to be united, that after establishing a govenment they should watch over it.... It is universally admitted that a well-instructed people alone can be permanently free."
    --James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by bobdavis73 View Post
    I have personally put over 54,000 miles on an 03 RST Futura without any wheel bearings.
    Wow! Must have had shitty gas milage for sure!!!
    ďThe roadís what counts...donít worry about where itís goiní."
    - Sam Shepard
    "When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive."
    -Neil Peart

Never even checked it

Quote Originally Posted by The Fixer View Post
    Wow! Must have had shitty gas milage for sure!!!
    Just don't give a damn about it when I grab some throttle.

Bob

"Although all men are born free, slavery has been the general lot of the human race. Ignorant - they have been cheated; asleep - they have been surprised; divided - the yoke has been forced upon them. But what is the lesson? ...the people ought to be enlightened, to be awakened, to be united, that after establishing a govenment they should watch over it.... It is universally admitted that a well-instructed people alone can be permanently free."
    --James Madison

apriliaforum expert commandodave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoMark View Post
    Well Dave, it looks as though there's no easy fixes on this one. Thanks for the link so I could see this thing through to possible scenario's. So the lesson from this is to only get tires at a competent Aprilia dealer and even then remind them to reassemble the wheel properly and then go home and retorque it yourself? :^)
    So how many miles did you get out of the wheel before you had to replace it and the wheel studs? Do you think if you hadn't tried to keep tightening up the wheel that you could've avoided having to replace the studs? Did the J B Weld plan or the drill out and bush plan only work temporarily?
    In any case, I'll go back and this time pull the wheel all the way off and inspect the mounting holes, studs and woodruff key.
    Thanks again for your input.
    Sorry about the late response. I was on the road for a few days.

I put a fair amount of miles on the fFutura before I discovered the cause and effect. Inspect the pins. Mine were obviously ovaled. The top to bottom dimension was unaffected, but the side to side was noticeably smaller. If you are not sure, put a caliper on the pins up and down then sideways. They should be the same if the pins are still round (obviously). As noted in the thread, I put 5000 miles on the J & B Weld repair job before I repaired the pins and replaced the wheel. The pins are listed as a separate part and press fit in the spider. I was able to obtain a whole new (used) spider so I did not have to do the pin replacement.

Someone on this forum went the proper repair route. Had the holes bored out and sleeved. I always looked at the J&B Weld repair as temporary. I would not want to saddle the next owner with a bodge. Don't get me wrong. I do not plan to sell my Futura! But the principle holds.

Dave

my story

I just replaced my rear wheel and drive pins. The only thing I can add to the story is that when looking back my problem was caused by riding without the "woodruff key" in the rear axle.

I change my own tires and after the 3rd or 4th tire change since buying the Futura in '01, I did it by memory instead of using the service manual. It was late at night before an early morning ride to a track day and I forgot about the woodruff key. It must have fallen out.
    6000 miles later when I was replacing the sticky track day sport rubber for Avon ST's, I noticed the woodruff key was missing and replaced it but the damage was done.

Looking back, it didn't take too long for a small amount of damage to be done. There was a clunking sound when I rolled the bike backwards after returning home from that track day. I thought it was a warped rear brake rotor. There was a bit of wobble under light rear braking that stopped under heavy rear braking so that seemed to confirm my conclusion. I resolved to replace the rotor at some point and even bought one from AF1. I wasn't looking forward to disasembling the rear hub so I put it off.

Then on a ride in Arkansas last September, with about 9000 miles since the initial woodruff key incident, it seemed to pass the tipping point and the rear wheel started to wobble badly under braking. It would reduce under heavy rear brake use but was bad when using the front brake and little or no rear. By then I had read commandodave's thread about his loose rear wheel and so I checked the play from side to side and sure enough there was quite a bit. I verifed the main nut was torqed down tight and it was. Over the next 500 miles it just got worse and any time there wasn't power applied to the rear wheel it would wobble. Even though I knew the wheel wouldn't come off, I elected to leave her at the Hot Springs Honda dealership and I trailered her home the next week.

The bright side of the story is that I ordered a new wheel and drive pins from a local dealer and because he was dropping his entire Piaggio line I saved $100 on the purchase over the prices that I got from other Aprilia dealers.

Amazing how that tiny little piece of pot metal (a $15 piece of pot metal) can be so important. :-(
    Last edited by FLUFdriver; 03-31-2008 at 11:10 AM.

Robert

01' Flame Red RST: De-restricted, K&N air filter, 05 map, upgraded rectifier, metal QD, BEF semi-full system & plate relocator, BrakeTech Axis Cobra front rotors, shortened stock windscreen, Competition Werkes RC51 GP footpegs, Pirelli Angel ST's

2009 Apple Red K1300GT

Threadjack -

There's another Fut in the same county??

Let me know when you're riding locally!
    2002 Aprilia Futura Infinity Blue - De-restricted, Metal Fuel QD, 05 Map, Met Z6's

Will do.

Once I get the clutch working, I'll let you know.

Based on your screen name, I'd guess we have more in common than just location and superior taste in motorcycles...........

Robert

01' Flame Red RST: De-restricted, K&N air filter, 05 map, upgraded rectifier, metal QD, BEF semi-full system & plate relocator, BrakeTech Axis Cobra front rotors, shortened stock windscreen, Competition Werkes RC51 GP footpegs, Pirelli Angel ST's

2009 Apple Red K1300GT

I noticed the woodruff key was missing and replaced it but the damage was done.
    And oddly enough, out of the three Futura rear wheels I have pulled, only ONE of those had a woodruff key in the slot. Mine does not have one and neither did the one I prepped for the guy coming back from Iraq.

Lord knows I ride the piss out of mine, and have never had an issue. So long as the retainer is inserted correctly and the axle actually has the retainer pin, I can't see how having a woodruff key would make a difference.
    Last edited by meanstrk; 03-31-2008 at 02:09 PM.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

See torque spec.

I think we need the new torque spec here mikeyc.

I had an Aprilia dealer smash my key when putting it in wrong. I had to extract it and ran without it for quite some time. I think it all comes down to torque.

Bob

--James Madison

It may have been the torque?

The torque wrench that I used only meausured up to 100ftlbs. So after it "clicked" I would use my long handled wratchet and crank on it a little more.

In looking back and trying to figure out the source of my problem it seems to have all started when I ran that track day without the woodruff key.

Since the major meltdown and the purchase of a new wheel I have bought a torque wrench that measures from 100-250ftlbs. I really love my RST but I don't want to buy another wheel.
    Last edited by FLUFdriver; 04-01-2008 at 07:47 AM.

Robert

2009 Apple Red K1300GT

apriliaforum newb
    Hey Bob, may have the rear wheel problem with the pin holes being out of shape. If you're still in the business you can reach me at henryhawkboss@yahoo com. Just purchased a few weeks ago a 02ash grey. When I purchased the bike rear wheel was tight. On the way home from Roanoke, Va. to S. Al. checked it was loose. Found the cone shaped spacer in the tool kit. While had the wheel off notice some out of round of the pin holes. Borrowed torque wrench. Hasn't loosened up any yet.

Oh wow, someone had the wheel off, put it back on w/o the cone. After seeing it on the ground, they said, hmm, what's this go to? Eh, just throw it in the kit, it'll be fine.

So, yer kinda lucky you didn't wobble off the road. That cone takes most/all of the vertical load at the outside of the wheel. W/o it, the wheel is almost free to teeter-totter. Gotta believe the tire was moving all over the place.

Hopefully, it'll be ok, but do keep an eye on it. While yer checking things, remove the 3 small screws (2 are short and just fill the holes, the 3rd is long and extends into the splines of the axle - doesn't matter where that longer screw goes as long as it mates with a slot in the splines) around the cush hub nut and make sure it's to 110 ft-lbs.

Maybe Bob is still reading the forum, but it's been some years since he posted.

apriliaforum newb
    I believe he has posted as recently as last 2 months. Enjoying the bike, the odometer is showing now 8500 miles. I knew of the few issues before buying so everything is good. There had been new tires put on prior to the purchase. That was a bad deal, at least no one got hurt, the spacer was in the tool kit and the diesel shop next door let me borrow the torque wrench. When torqueing the wheel nut, do you lock the wheel in some way or put in first?
    Last edited by WilliamHaw; 10-10-2018 at 12:36 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast