Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Play in rear wheel

apriliaforum newb

Play in rear wheel

I have on '02 Futura that just turned over 15K miles. Only about 500 of those are mine so I'm still lnw to the bike. I put the bike on the center stand to lube the chain and when spinning the wheel I noticed a bit of side to side play. Not a whole lot but enough that I felt it wasn't right. It looked as though the bolts that hold on the rotor had come loose as I could see a gap when I wiggled the wheel. However those seem to be as tight as they will go. I removed the wheel nut cap and retaining ring but I have no tools to tighten the contained nut.
    Anyone experienced this before or have any notion what is going on, how dangerous or benign it could be? I'm not a mechanic but I can follow directions if I have them.

Thanks

First off, download the service manual from Bob Davis FTP site here, if you dont have it already:

ftp://ftp.moderndiesystems.com/RST1000

From what you describe, seems like your wheel bearings need to be replaced. I have no experience in this matter, so I am sure someone with more knowledge will correct me & guide you in the right direction. Good luck.

I can't get anything to open in the thread. It comes up with all the documents but just wont open them

apriliaforum Member
    Is the wheel on the centering pins but loose? If so the wheel may not have been replaced or tourqued correctly when last removed.
    There may be some parts damaged that you may need to replace. Not a big deal but when the wheel goes on it needs to be done correctly.
    Trust the voice of experience, damn hack dealers.

P.S. start with this, it may be an inexpensive and easy repair instead of jumping to wheel bearings and axle replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Shippers View Post
    I can't get anything to open in the thread. It comes up with all the documents but just wont open them
    Simple, just right click any document & click "save target as" & save it locally in a folder of your choice. Once complete open from your folder. When you click on it, your browser will first try to download it in its cache folder, which will take time & then open it.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoMark View Post
    when spinning the wheel I noticed a bit of side to side play. Not a whole lot but enough that I felt it wasn't right.
    my first choice there is a loose wheel, you need a 22mm allen key (socket driven) which normally comes in the tool kit.... if you got one
    Anyone experienced this before or have any notion what is going on,
    Thanks
    Oh yes, some with dire consequences, but not many.
    Check your 3 lugs are on the pins right
    check for the lugs in the back of the wheel for having been bashed oval
    make sure it is torqued up tight, very tight, I can't remember the number but it is high
    If that is all tight and you still have play, on the left there are 3 tiny allen lock screws, remove them and re-torque the wheel bearing ( which is the nut on the left)

It should be OK after that

HTH

Rab

apriliaforum newb

Thumbs up

Well now I see why Futura's come stock with a center stand. How else are you going to check and see if your wheel is coming loose!!??
    Thanks especially for the link to the service manual. Like I said, I'm no mechanic but if I"ve got pictures I can usually suss things out. Those let me know just what that huge slug of hex metal was for in the tool kit. I'm assuming that the shop which last changed the rear tire neglected putting the pin spanner back into the kit as it was missing so I made do with a bicycle bottom bracket spanner to get off the top nut.
    As soon as I snugged up the wheel nut there was no play at all so I'm going to say for now that with the right knowledge and tools it was an easy fix for a very disconcerting problem. Amazing though the number of different possibilities that were suggested, bearings being number one, including the King bearing (suggested when I called AF1, "Sorry been on back order half a year now!!").
    No, I didn't take the wheel all the way off but I will consdier doing so if there's a possibility of damage having been done.
    Thanks to all who gave most helpful advice and suggestions.

The pin-spanner you were looking for in the tool kit does not exist!
    It was never delivered from Aprilia

apriliaforum expert
    neglected putting the pin spanner back into the kit
    Ermmm, no, there is no pin spanner in the kit, we have each devised our own method of removing the cap. An after market allen key driven one is available .... or was
    What you will find is, that the tank stay which is clipped under the saddle, fits a treat .. but only in one notch
    Thanks to all who gave most helpful advice and suggestions.
    I think you'll find that's our hallmark

Welcome to the bike and the board BTW

apriliaforum expert commandodave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bossbob View Post
    Oh yes, some with dire consequences, but not many.
    Check your 3 lugs are on the pins right
    check for the lugs in the back of the wheel for having been bashed oval
    make sure it is torqued up tight, very tight, I can't remember the number but it is high
    If that is all tight and you still have play, on the left there are 3 tiny allen lock screws, remove them and re-torque the wheel bearing ( which is the nut on the left)

It should be OK after that

HTH

Rab
    You may be well and truly screwed! I was. Follow this thread to the bloody conclusion.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ose+rear+wheel

The bottom line is that once the rear wheel becomes loose on the mounting pins, the pins wear, mating surfaces are damaged. The thread shows an effective (semi) permanent repair, but ultimately I wound up replacing the three pins and the rear wheel.

Dave

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by commandodave View Post
    You may be well and truly screwed! I was. Follow this thread to the bloody conclusion.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ose+rear+wheel

The bottom line is that once the rear wheel becomes loose on the mounting pins, the pins wear, mating surfaces are damaged. The thread shows an effective (semi) permanent repair, but ultimately I wound up replacing the three pins and the rear wheel.

Dave
    Well Dave, it looks as though there's no easy fixes on this one. Thanks for the link so I could see this thing through to possible scenario's. So the lesson from this is to only get tires at a competent Aprilia dealer and even then remind them to reassemble the wheel properly and then go home and retorque it yourself? :^)
    So how many miles did you get out of the wheel before you had to replace it and the wheel studs? Do you think if you hadn't tried to keep tightening up the wheel that you could've avoided having to replace the studs? Did the J B Weld plan or the drill out and bush plan only work temporarily?
    In any case, I'll go back and this time pull the wheel all the way off and inspect the mounting holes, studs and woodruff key.
    Thanks again for your input.
    Last edited by MotoMark; 10-10-2007 at 10:17 PM. Reason: change question

So the lesson from this is to only get tires at a competent Aprilia dealer and even then remind them to reassemble the wheel properly and then go home and retorque it yourself? :^)
    No the lesson is to watch like a hawk while they remove and refit the wheel and let them know if they miss anything. Better for the next Fut owner who wanders along. Any half decent mechanic wants to learn - help him.
    Then go home and check the wheel nut's tight for yourself.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MotoMark
    So the lesson from this is to only get tires at a competent Aprilia dealer and even then remind them to reassemble the wheel properly and then go home and retorque it yourself? :^)

No the lesson is to watch like a hawk while they remove and refit the wheel and let them know if they miss anything. Better for the next Fut owner who wanders along. Any half decent mechanic wants to learn - help him.
    Then go home and check the wheel nut's tight for yourself.

R & R the wheels yourself.
    Easy, fun, and usually cheaper.
    My 0.0141 Euro.
    '02 Futura, Blue
    99.5k miles and ok, it's old.

gonna recommend you do more than "snug" that fastener. USE A TORQUE WRENCH. If you don't have one that'll do 125 ft lbs, git one.

apriliaforum expert bullit in head's Avatar
    if you want new wheels. there's a brand new one and some second hand ones on ebay at the mo £70 2nd hand..... and the new one seems to have disappeared.

edit: just noticed your not EU....sorry

bullit
    Pilot Roads 2CT, H-PIPE, BEF's, Touno forks and a Wilbers Rear end, R&G FRame sliders, Rhino barend sliders, RhinoMoto front axle sliders,(thats a hole lota sliding to be done)MILLE BOOT, K&N, HID's LED running light , Heated Grips, Double bubble(now removed) and a whole lot of attitude.and renault coils.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast