Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Futura/Capo Flywheel Mod (Lightened)

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar

Futura/Capo Flywheel Mod (Lightened)

This may be old news to some of you but I accidentally discovered today that the RST and ETV have a removable flywheel weight that weighs in at exactly 2.50 lbs?

I had never noticed this before but while converting an RST engine to be used in a 2003 RSV track bike it became pretty obvious. To convert the RST engine you have to add a cam position sensor (non-machined holes and bosses are already present) and swap over the flywheel and stator cover. You also have to swap to a different front exhaust cam sprocket that has the trigger on it for use with the cam position sensor.

Just thought you guys might like to add a little acceleration and quicken the throttle response a bit. I have not ever tried this in an RST but we do it all the time on 2004 and newer RSVR's, 2006 and newer Tuonos and of course 2004-2008 Factories.

Do you really need this? I think not! I rode an RSVR home tonight with the lightened flywheel, love it and think there is really nothing to loose but 2 1/2 lbs of un-needed rotating mass!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Here are all of the flywheel parts together. You will need to add nuts to the back M8x1.25mm locking types, to keep the sprag clutch in place.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

O.K. I'll be first... " How?"
    Anything that makes this engine more responsive has got to be an improvement.
    ďThe roadís what counts...donít worry about where itís goiní."
    - Sam Shepard
    "When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive."
    -Neil Peart

apriliaforum expert Arkansawyer's Avatar
    At the foothills of the Boston Mountains.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fixer View Post
    O.K. I'll be first... " How?"
    Anything that makes this engine more responsive has got to be an improvement.

Sounds like a Music City Ride-In mod at the Dugkim Racing Garage........Mojito's optional!
    When in doubt.........power out!!!

JapseyeOgri said:
    "The camaraderie that very often goes along with Aprilia ownership makes me glad I got one."

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansawyer View Post
    Sounds like a Music City Ride-In mod at the Dugkim Racing Garage........Mojito's optional!

Which will get the revs up faster? A lighter flywheel or a Mojito?
    Do we need a puller? Who's got one?
    ďThe roadís what counts...donít worry about where itís goiní."
    - Sam Shepard
    "When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive."
    -Neil Peart

Quote Originally Posted by The Fixer View Post
    Which will get the revs up faster? A lighter flywheel or a Mojito?
    Do we need a puller? Who's got one?
    Ok....check that. After looking at some of the parts diagrams in the Futura online store section it may be a bit more technical for the DRG(dugkim racing garage).

Make it two Mojito's and I'll out bench race everybody!

JapseyeOgri said:
    "The camaraderie that very often goes along with Aprilia ownership makes me glad I got one."

You need a propane torch and a puller. We sell the pullers in the online store under tools, the torch is something you can pick up at home depot. You want to get the inner prtion of the flywheel up to about 250-300F (without setting anything else on fire or heating the magnets) to ease the separation.

Take a gander through the RSVR forums...same operation, if cover removal goes well no gasket replacement will be required. I would have one handy just in case. I scored a 50/50 on saving gaskets today

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Torch Yes...

...puller No. SNAP ONs...check. Compressor...Check. Mojitos...er we can handle that...CHECK!

I was thinking about doing the chain and sprocket swap, going down 1 tooth in the front. Who wants to do that with me? Besides...at 13,000 miles, i suppose it is getting to be time for this periodic maintenance.
    "The fact is that sport-touring is about delicious movement, freedom to go slowly and relax or to turn the throttle and run, with just enough of your favorite stuff in the saddlebags."--CW
    nero ash color | colder fuel disconnect | derestricted air intake | blinder laser jammer | throttlemeister | invisiguard paint protection | carbon fiber hugger | ohlins rear shock | ohlins fork re-valve | ohlins steering damper | R&G crash protectors | iridium spark plugs | apex SS lines | corbin backrest for 2-up riding | dark wheels customized | borella rectifier | pivot covers | k&n air filter | HIDx1 | pazzo shorty race levers | gixxer mirrors | Kisan Relay Flashers + Running Lights

Quote Originally Posted by dugkim View Post

I was thinking about doing the chain and sprocket swap, going down 1 tooth in the front. Who wants to do that with me? Besides...at 13,000 miles, i suppose it is getting to be time for this periodic maintenance.

Gotta pay for my room and board somehow.

Be sure and have plenty of kerosene ready because if your like me you'll want to clean everything up while we're in there.

JapseyeOgri said:

Kerosene?

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansawyer View Post
    Gotta pay for my room and board somehow.

Be sure and have plenty of kerosene ready because if your like me you'll want to clean everything up while we're in there.
    I'm guessing that must be a good degreser? Honda polish works magic, but I also have some citris solvent that does a pretty nice job. So what chain and sprockets should I buy?
    "The fact is that sport-touring is about delicious movement, freedom to go slowly and relax or to turn the throttle and run, with just enough of your favorite stuff in the saddlebags."--CW
    nero ash color | colder fuel disconnect | derestricted air intake | blinder laser jammer | throttlemeister | invisiguard paint protection | carbon fiber hugger | ohlins rear shock | ohlins fork re-valve | ohlins steering damper | R&G crash protectors | iridium spark plugs | apex SS lines | corbin backrest for 2-up riding | dark wheels customized | borella rectifier | pivot covers | k&n air filter | HIDx1 | pazzo shorty race levers | gixxer mirrors | Kisan Relay Flashers + Running Lights

It would be interesting to see how this mod would work with the Futura/Capo's already touchy throttle. Along with the increased throttle response you will also have much more engine braking. Riding in slow traffic & parking lot maneuvers would require much more throttle control.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

On the bike I am riding right now (RSVR) it makes no difference in street manners but this one has been micro-tuned at AF1 and throttle response is as linear as you are ever going to see on a big twin. It is also 1060cc kitted and cams timed at 108/114 for top end power if that matters?

I made a few slow speed u-turns and such last night. No issues. You still have a LOT of flywheel weight, equivalent to a same year RSV without the additional 2.5 lbs attached. I like it but it very well may not be for everyone.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum expert commandodave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bikpaintr View Post
    It would be interesting to see how this mod would work with the Futura/Capo's already touchy throttle. Along with the increased throttle response you will also have much more engine braking. Riding in slow traffic & parking lot maneuvers would require much more throttle control.
    Uhhhh, John, ever hear of the 05 map?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dugkim View Post
    So what chain and sprockets should I buy?
    AFAM from AF1 for the sprockets. For the chain shoot FalcoLion an email at his site www.motoworldonline.com and tell him your from the ApriliaForum. Tell him you want the same chain and link that Spencer got.

Louie's the one who told me about the EK chain and screw type link (no chain tool needed). We've both been very pleased with the results.
    Last edited by Arkansawyer; 09-15-2007 at 06:10 AM.

JapseyeOgri said:

Quote Originally Posted by commandodave View Post
    Uhhhh, John, ever hear of the 05 map?

Dave
    I've got it along with a PC3 map so my throttle action is ok but not as linear as a carbed bike. What is acceptable on a sport bike might get old on a daily rider you take trips on. I've lightened flywheels before & there are trade offs. The other Aprilias use a different injection system which may be smoother then the Sagem, never ridden a Mille so I can't say. Lighten the flywheel on any bike & the throttle response will be quicker both ways which does require some adjusting too. Considering all the bitching I've read on this forum about the Futura's touchy throttle response I thought it was worth mentioning.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast