Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manual Camchain Adjusters for 1000 cc Engines

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    apriliaforum Member

Manual Camchain Adjusters Available

No more random clanging, clacking, and ticking noises after installing a set
    of these manual camchain adjusters.

They are the positve locking type, yet produce less pressure against the camchains than do the original hydro-lock tensioners for reduced parasitic loss. Cam timing no longer varies as excessive chain slap comes and goes.

Less drag and more stable cam timing give increased performance a more consistent idle.

Fits Mille RSV/RSVR, Tuono, Falco, Futura, and Caponord.

Please contact me for details.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by kiddo; 09-01-2008 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Updated text.

As the engine warms up to operating temperature the aluminum cases, cylinders, and heads all expand at a higher rate than the steel chain. How do you ensure that the chain is not too tight when the engine is up to temperature?

apriliaforum Member
    Well, that seems like an unusual question because there are hundreds of motorcycle engine designs that have sucsessfully applied manual camchain adjusters for many years without troubles.

In the case of the V990 with my adjusters installed, I have checked and rechecked both the adjuster setting and the actual chain slack hot and cold with no noted change. (By the way, the valve clearances are also quite stable hot or cold, relative to other similar engine designs.)

Detailed adjustment instructions are included with the kit. Adjustment is needed very infrequently - about as often as the valves need to be set.
    It seems that the camchains prefer consistent slack with positive adjusters, as opposed to whipping around sometimes as they can do with the standard tensioners. They just don't need to be adjusted often - set them once and go.

Contact me if you would like to try a set. I am sure you will like them. So will your camchains!

Put me down for two sets!

My bike has a few quarks. That clatter tick bothers me too! Synthetic oil makes it louder. I plan to build up an RSV engine for my Capo. The project should take a year, or more.
    Loki J. Prankster
    In my life, it's not the choices I make, it's the chances I take that influence my life the most.

Quote Originally Posted by kzmille View Post
    As the engine warms up to operating temperature the aluminum cases, cylinders, and heads all expand at a higher rate than the steel chain. How do you ensure that the chain is not too tight when the engine is up to temperature?
    Adjust them hot. You live with the extra noise until everything comes up to temp. The noise that would be unacceptable on a stock street bike is pefectly fine on a track-ho. The upside is avoiding the ka blammo when the valves and pistons meet due to a tensioner failure. A buddy lost a SS gixer motor last fall to a failed tensioner.
    The most common error with manual tensioners is overtightening.
    WERA 917 EX grid filler retired

Aprilia RS 250 FS
    Triumph 675 FS

apriliaforum Member
    Hi David.

It is not neccesary to adjust my tensioners with a hot engine. I too wondered about the difference - hot vs. cold - and it just doesn't exist.

The Rotax camchain guides are preloaded into the taught side of the chain by design, so they absorb some of the valve spring shock and negate any difference in coeficient of expansion as the motor heats up.

What I am doing is limiting the movement of the slack side of the chain, not pushing on it. Still the oil pressure does the actual pushing.

With what I have seen and heard from the standard tensioners, I can imagine
    that some of these grenaded engines are the result of the exhaust valves getting to know the pistons a little too well as the tensioners let go during decel.

That does not happen any more with my adjusters installed.
    They are working great. Consistent, quiet, and leak proof.

I just cant get the picture where this element fits and what it does

Do you have any pictures? Is it hard to install?

apriliaforum Member
    Hi Dolenc.

The camcain tensioners screw into the cylinders, both located in the "V" between the cylinders. You can see the front cyclinder tensioner by looking into that area from the right side.

I include step-by-step installation instructions with photos with each kit.
    They are written at a level that could be followed by a careful backyard mechanic because I cannot know the skill level of all who install them.

The good news is that once they are installed, you can forget about them and you can also forget about all of those random noises, while knowing that your camchains are now much happier about life in general!

Ciao.
    You know it's a bitch to work on when your hands start getting closter phobia.

Quote Originally Posted by kiddo View Post
    What I am doing is limiting the movement of the slack side of the chain, not pushing on it. Still the oil pressure does the actual pushing.
    so your tensione work over/together the std ones?
    Aprilia bikes ECU tuning and reflashes since 2004!
    --
    Please like and Follow the #gabroracingteam socials!
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/gabroracingteam
    IG: https://www.instagram.com/gabroracingteam
    YT: https://www.youtube.com/GabroRacingTeam-GRT

apriliaforum Member
    Hi Dolenc.
    No, the camchains will probably outlive you, unless you are 22 or less.

Hi Gabro.
    How you been? Do you know any Italian sweethearts in my town? Lemme know if you do.

I think you can understand my English words, so I will try to give you an exact answer. Included in each kit are:

Qty. 2, adapters, CNC machined from 6051 T6 round stock, metric fitted
    Qty. 2, 6mm adjuster rods
    Qty. 2, 6mm coupler nuts
    Qty. 2, 6mm SS button head cap screws
    Qty. 4, 6mm copper sealing washers
    Qty. 2, 16mm copper sealing washers
    Qty. 1, Installation Instructions with color photos.

The original plungers are retained, all else in thrown out, including the springs and check valve assemblies.

This design is simple and direct:
    Don't push too hard, don't release or slip, don't leak, and do not fail.

Overseas shipping works best by United States Postal Service (USPS).

Ciao.

:
    You know it's a bitch to work on when your hands start getting closter phobia.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by kiddo View Post
    No more random clanging, clacking, and ticking noises after installing a set
    of these manual camchain adjusters.

They are the positve locking type, yet produce less pressure against the camchains than do the original hydro-lock tensioners for reduced parasitic loss. Cam timing no longer varies as excessive chain slap comes and goes.

Less drag and more stable cam timing give increased performance a more consistent idle.

Fits Mille RSV/RSVR, Tuono, Falco, Futura, and Caponord.

Please contact me for details.
    Hi Kiddo,

Do you still have stock for these Manual cam chain adjusters? how much will it cost and will it fit the RSV 1000R Factory 2004 model?

Thanks in advance.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by celicaizpower View Post
    Hi Kiddo,

Do you still have stock for these Manual cam chain adjusters? how much will it cost and will it fit the RSV 1000R Factory 2004 model?

Thanks in advance.
    Keith Pestotnik (kiddo) - passed away on 05/23/2009. A fine gentleman. He is missed.

-doc

apriliaforum newb
    Hi Kiddo, I need some of these manual CCT's for my tuono 2007. Please contact me on greenshot@hotmail.com I look forward to hearing from you. regards Dex.

Hey bud, read the post above. Kiddo is no longer with us.

apriliaforum prov-nov PaydayGabe's Avatar
    Afternoon Folks,
    PaydayGabe here.
    I really like Kiddo's(RIP��) design, nice and simple. From looking at the photo and materials list it could be easy to replicate his adjusters no problem.
    Or possibly mod the OEM tensioners w/manual guts��. Maybe? Jus thinking. I'm not the only one who's thought about this, am I? G. ����

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast