Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Charging System/EFI

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrsidedn
    I think I am F&^%ed then. I was really hoping that VDC call out was my way out of getting the stator rewound. I am only pulling 20 VAC between phases, idle and 3500 RPM. But with a new reg/rec I am getting 14.5 VDC through out the RPM band, does that make any sense? Regulator gets hot as sin also very quickly, is that normal?
    20VAC between phases, times 3 phases = 60VAC. I think you are OK - proof being 14.5 V DC to the battery.
    Never wrestle with a pig... you get dirty and the pig enjoys it...

Its a minimum 60v from each stator wire, I saw 70v at 3500-4000 rpm & it climbs from there if the stator is healthy. If he's getting 14.5v out of the rectifier & only 20v from each stator leg then he measured the stator wires incorrectly.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

Quote Originally Posted by bikpaintr
    Its a minimum 60v from each stator wire, I saw 70v at 3500-4000 rpm & it climbs from there if the stator is healthy. If he's getting 14.5v out of the rectifier & only 20v from each stator leg then he measured the stator wires incorrectly.
    60 V AC from each PAIR or wires, but yup and yup.

apriliaforum Member
    do a search on stator and or voltage.. it has what the combination of wires are to get the correct stator reading.. i had the same issue.

trust! the book says 60V AC between each phase @4K.

Seems like this is a non issue as he has perfect charging output with Bikpainter's reg. With the stock regulator still in place(stock connectors, 4 wire mod) mine gets about 14.4 @ idle and drops to 14.1@ 4k. I have no battery issues. rick

Quote Originally Posted by Pat
    I am. Never know when you're gonna need it
    Remove the two left side body body panels, drain the oil, disconnect the brown and white connectors and remove the rectifier and it's heat shield.

Remove two nuts and one bolt holding the oil tank, disconnect the lower rear hose from the oil strainer, disconnect the small upper rear vent hose. Leave the hose to the oil cooller attached and hang the tank by a bungee from the left handlbar end to gain room to remove the stator cover.

Disconnect the small white electrical connector to the side stand switch, fold the disconnected ends back out of the way. Tape or otherwise hold the wire to the neutral light up out of the way.

Remove the 13 (give or take one) screws from the stator cover. Tap the cover with a plastic or rubber mallet to break it loose, pull it off the bike and place it upside down on your workbench as the remaining oil drains into a pan from where the cover was just removed.

Remove one bolt holding the wire loom cover inside the stator cover. Remove the 3 screws holding the rotor, remove the stator from the cover. Send for rewind. Wait patiently. Jump up and down when it arrives.

Reinstall the rewound stator, making sure the wire leads are properly positioned to be held by the loom cover. Put the loom cover in place loosely. Tighten the 3 bolts using a medium thread locker compound. You did clean the oil out of the holes, right? Tighten the scews sequentially to the correct torque; look in the engine manual or use a standard value.

Using the new gasket you ordered, reinstall the stator with cover, again torquing to proper value sequentially working around the cover, watching to be sure the gasket is in place and all else is out of the way with a mirror and small flashlight.
    Last edited by Dan; 07-26-2007 at 07:01 PM.
    If I just gave you mechanical, personal, legal or medical advice, it's up to you to get a proper diagnosis from a qualified expert.

A few pics disassembling the stator from the cover:
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by Dan; 07-26-2007 at 07:02 PM.
    If I just gave you mechanical, personal, legal or medical advice, it's up to you to get a proper diagnosis from a qualified expert.

This last picture shows something to be aware of and careful of. Some of the epoxy Rick's used chipped off when the retaining bolts were tightened. The chip was "non-fatal" as the windings were still held away from the iron core. To be safe, I filled the chip with some epoxy I've used in the past with good results. I allowed it to cure at about 80F for two days before completing the reinstall.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Good write-up!

And, how's the charging now?
    Rob - '01 Rosso Flame

"Riders Create More Problems Than Motorcycles Are Designed To Handle" - Keith Code

Yes, thanks Dan.

Copy, Print, and into my ever growing manual of 'real world' Futura.
    '02 Futura, Blue
    97k miles and all is well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan

Remove one bolt holding the wire loom cover inside the rotor cover. Remove the 3 screws holding the rotor, remove the rotor from thecover. Send for rewind. Wait patiently. Jump up and down when it arrives.

everywhere you said rotor, you meant to say stator, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by RAS
    everywhere you said rotor, you meant to say stator, yes?
    Yes. Thank you. Doh, I have "rotor" on the brain. Sigh.
    Last edited by Dan; 07-26-2007 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RPB

Good write-up!

And, how's the charging now?
    Much better. Would you like numbers?

Much better. Would you like numbers?
    I was just curious if the whole operation solved the original problem.
    Rob - '01 Rosso Flame

"Riders Create More Problems Than Motorcycles Are Designed To Handle" - Keith Code

Yes. Thank you. Doh, I have "rotor" on the brain. Sigh.
    heh, heh, Rotor Head.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast