Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Common problems/issues With RXV/SXV 450-550

Yellow Shirt

big end bearings

Quote Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
    Well I have always loved this bike so I took the punt. However, to my surprise the big end bearings have gone at a meagre 1500kms. Now I don't ride like a pussy, but I ran the thing in properly & haven't flogged it yet. Anyone else had this problem???
    I have only 525 miles on my SXV 550 and 3o minutes of that was on a local track (JenningsGP) and the bike just seized after only one completed session where we flogged it gently, Local Dealer is working with us but everything checked out, OIl, H2o, and it did start rather hard every time. He said he would try to interceed with Aprilia USA because they have prior incidents with the same engine(has the brown/orange case RTV sealer). I'll keep you posted as the success "pours in" LOL

every time you go own the road on the right side you destroy the thread on the axle , fitting sliders is just a piss off wen you changing wheels all the time so we made these up they go in about 35mm and we made them tight so you had to hit them in with a hammer . also it makes it really easy putting you axle back in ,and you an use a rear race stand if you want

sorry about the pic but it was only small and i had t blow it up ,but you get the idea

I have about 4000 miles on my sxv5.5(built march 2007(says on the chassis )) and beside a fried starter due to cold temperature like lower than -5 degrees Celsius, i had absolutely no problem what so ever, i read the posts about coolant in engine oil and everything so i checked the coolant. .. removed the radiator lid (or what's it called) and it was full, no foam in the transparent oil checking tube.. no nothing. I don't track race it .. only street hooliganism.. traffic light races and stuff like that, i redline it constantly. I know the coolant problem should be on all sxv.. so i've read on Jim's posts. still waiting for the foam... seriously i don't know what to do now, took it to the dealers they had no f**king clue about the problem, or any other sxv problems.. and where i live these are the best dealers, any others are below. that's why i bought it from them in the first place, i've been on this forum like an year before i bought it and i was familiar with all the flaws.
    I am 24 years old and this is my first bike, i don't know almost nothing about the engine.. i mean by comparison with you guys.
    really don't know what to do.. don;t want to loose my precious , here it costs alot of money 10 000 euros(that's 15 700 U.S. dollars(i am that crazy)) and my monthly payment is 500 euros .. so do the maths ...

and one other thing, this is the second time my speedometer fails.. it's showing 0 km/h ( don't joke about like I should try moving a.s.o. ) first time i took it to the dealers, they removed it .. oh yeah this is a funny story .. they removed the command panel or what's it called .. replaced it with another one from another sxv and that one worked, they replaced it again and said they will order by warranty from aprilia another one, when i left my speedometer worked.. i returned and asked them what did they do... they raised their shoulders and said.. nothing just removed it and put it back on... lol... anywayz... wanted to know if anyone had this problem before... oh and i checked the cable from the sensor near the front brake, it's flawless.
    thanks

//edit// just found this and thought of putting it here , didnt knew where else to put it.. just for a few laughs :
    http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/fo...ding-tips.html
    Last edited by FOXXkid; 04-18-2008 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FOXXkid View Post

<znip>
    and one other thing, this is the second time my speedometer fails.. it's showing 0 km/h ( don't joke about like I should try moving a.s.o. ) first time i took it to the dealers, they removed it .. oh yeah this is a funny story .. they removed the command panel or what's it called .. replaced it with another one from another sxv and that one worked, they replaced it again and said they will order by warranty from aprilia another one, when i left my speedometer worked.. i returned and asked them what did they do... they raised their shoulders and said.. nothing just removed it and put it back on... lol... anywayz... wanted to know if anyone had this problem before... <znip>
    I've got the same problem on my 08 after 400km. The speedo is showing 0 km/h. An inspection of the front wheel sensor and the fact that the odometer is working fine got me thinking that the sensor is ok. I've tried resetting the cockpit display (following Slorider's http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=144952), but no changes in the speedo just showing 0 km/h.

I'll dismount the panel in the weekend to see if that helps.

apriliaforum Member
    I'm having the same problem... I've tried EVERYTHING. took the whole screen off, check connects, checked all wires, checked the sensor... everything fine, disconnected the battery as someone state, still nothing.
    I know Jesus can't walk on water... he has holes in his feet.

solved the speedo thingy ^____^ ... disconnected the battery for like a minute or something, and then .. well it works oh yeah ... when the battery is disconnected turn the ignition key on, cause there's still some juice in it. the display will light on for a second and then will go blank
    , .. too bad i can't go pass 190 km/h , very weird when i reach exactly 190 it suddenly brakes, couldn't look at the rpms .. was busy hanging on )))

about the engine seal, i have 6700 km that's 4100 something miles and no foam and no seal failure... what the hell? but i am loosing oil have no ideea how. Changed the engine oil and the gearbox oil and the engine oil was between min and max value for like 2 or 3 days , and now i had to refill with about 100 cc till it reached almost max value. any ideas?

these engines do use oil, how many miles riden before you noticed the drop?

Quote Originally Posted by kimzx1000r View Post
    these engines do use oil, how many miles riden before you noticed the drop?
    i know that but it used too much.
    about 100 miles

f you have the orange seal
    yust let it rebuild
    mine is in for a rebuild after 16000km\10000miles
    i had the waterproblem, milky oil

Quote Originally Posted by koekeroe View Post
    f you have the orange seal
    yust let it rebuild
    mine is in for a rebuild after 16000km\10000miles
    i had the waterproblem, milky oil
    well i told them about the problem, and they say .. well . now you don't have any problems come back when you do ...

Question

wel , do you?
    if you have garantie
    yuse it

i still don't have any problems so far, i can't go for the warranty/garantie if there's nothing wrong... i'll try though , maybe i'll put myself oil in the radiator and cooling liquid in the engine... ... joking

Quote Originally Posted by FOXXkid View Post
    solved the speedo thingy ^____^ ... disconnected the battery for like a minute or something, and then .. well it works oh yeah ... when the battery is disconnected turn the ignition key on, cause there's still some juice in it. the display will light on for a second and then will go blank <znip>
    Thanks Foxxkid My speedo is now back!

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
    Thanks Foxxkid My speedo is now back!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    The speedo on my SXV550 just stopped working. The whole digital display is working properly but the speedo reads "0". I'll try disconnecting the battery like foxxkid sugested. But I'm looking on the front wheel for a magnet or something that the sensor reads but I don't see anything. I can see that the brake rotor mounting bolts line up with the speedo sensor location but I don't see anything even vaguely resembling a magnet. What do you guys have on your bikes? I'm wondering if the magnet has fallen off my bike?
    '07 Aprilia SXV 550
    '07 Ktm SuperDuke 990
    '03 Vertemati Racing 570 (CA plated)
    '02 Vertemati S570
    '02 Vertemati S501 (CA plated)
    '07 KTM 525 EXC (sold)
    '01 Aprilia rs250 (sold)
    '83 Honda CB1100F
    '02 Vertemati C500

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast