Thread: HowTo: Remove Rear Axle/Hub

apriliaforum prov-nov

HowTo: Remove Rear Axle/Hub

Search being what it is here I looked but didn't see this covered before. Sorry if this is familiar territory.

I need to replace the rear hub on my Fut. Some of you may recall my travails with a stripped wheel nut and oblonged wheel from running with the wheel loose back in March (torque that critter!) I have finally sourced appropriate replacement parts and am ready to install them and get back on the road again.

In looking at the bike, the extra parts and the parts fiche it appears I just need to loosen the three little allen screws, then undo the hex-cap on the chain side of the rear axle and drive out the spindle. It can't be that easy, and there are a couple of circlips shown on the fiche but I can't tell how to get to in order to remove them.

Is that really all there is to it?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Christian

apriliaforum expert
    Use the workshop manuals instead of the 'fiches. They explain exactly what to do, how to do it, and how to put it back together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	one.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	62702  

Never wrestle with a pig... you get dirty and the pig enjoys it...

apriliaforum expert
    The next page is:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	two.gif 
Views:	394 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	62703  

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulZX9R
    Use the workshop manuals instead of the 'fiches. They explain exactly what to do, how to do it, and how to put it back together.
    Thanks Paul, I managed to miss that section last night.

A related question - how big a snap-ring plier do you need to remove the brake stay circlip? That thing opens wider than any of the 4 pair I have...

Christian

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by tian647
    A related question - how big a snap-ring plier do you need to remove the brake stay circlip? That thing opens wider than any of the 4 pair I have...

Christian
    I had no idea that there were different sizes, I only have a single pair with changeable heads but I have never encountered anything I couldn't use it on. I suppose you could do it the old fashioned way, use the pliers to lift the ring end out of the groove, then slip a small screwdriver/metal strip etc. under the raised end and work it around the ring, lifting it out of the groove.

apriliaforum expert
    he he he ............... nice reply Paul, however, mine was a bit more of a challange than that

this thread shows the pics of what I was met with

1) after removing the hex nut the cush drive took a fair bit of persuasion to leave the splines - the bearings neede serviced
    2) I inverted a large pair of circlip pliers so I was pulling apart the handles, as opposed to closing them
    3) the collar under clip "13" is probably seized, it should spin on the bolt

Allow 3 days labour

I had no idea that there were different sizes, I only have a single pair with changeable heads but I have never encountered anything I couldn't use it on. I suppose you could do it the old fashioned way, use the pliers to lift the ring end out of the groove, then slip a small screwdriver/metal strip etc. under the raised end and work it around the ring, lifting it out of the groove.
    yes indeed they do. check out this monster.
    http://www.toolsource.com/ost/produc...PPVJFR1MSC5MNE

Any recommendations for a travel friendly breaker bar?

apriliaforum expert
    I bought these ones

Did the job, only just.

Quote Originally Posted by Futura
    Any recommendations for a travel friendly breaker bar?
    Funny, I just made a post asking about this. I'm thinking something that collapses into itself. Kinda like an old car antenna or extendable baton.

Scott

apriliaforum prov-nov

Buttoned up!

I just wanted to say thank you to Paul and all the rest who chimed in here and in my previous thread about the rear wheel I destroyed.

I got the new hub put on uneventfully, and my Fut is once again a moveable beast. I even got a half a Metzler Sportec M1 with my replacement wheel to try out and see how I like it, complements of the previous owner.

After today's shakedown run I am less mad at myself for breaking it and still planning to keep my Futura for a long time. Damn this is a great bike!

Cheers,

Christian

think you're better off carryin gear to seal or patch and inflate a tire than preparing to remove it roadside. It can probably be done, but break a tire bead with an iron? Hmm. Then if you don't also carry a big torque wrench, after you get it back on you'll be riding on a wheel that will likely not be correctly torqued. Not worth risking a damaged wheel imo. It's that 22mm hex stock that no shop will have. Carry it, the owners manual, a cell phone and get tow insurance for that added extra bit of security.

I'm gonna figure out a way to carry these tools because of past experience. I was stranded a few states away from home and needed a new rear tire. Noone wanted to help. They were affraid of the single sided swing arm. I finally found an independant shop owner that was very busy but said If I could get the tire off he would spoon a new one on. He pointed at his tool box and said "knock yourself out". A few minutes later I was pestering him and he reminded me he was quite busy. I said "I got the wheel off". He was shocked and made some time to change the tire and check out the bike. Oh, my buddy timed me...4 minutes to remove the wheel. Not bad considering I was working out of a strange tool box :-)
    I agree about carrying the 22mm socket but if I had a breaker bar I could have taken the wheel off and taken it to the first shop I found and saved a few hours looking for a shop willing to help.

Scott

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Voyagerxii
    I'm gonna figure out a way to carry these tools because of past experience. I was stranded a few states away from home and needed a new rear tire. Noone wanted to help. They were affraid of the single sided swing arm. I finally found an independant shop owner that was very busy but said If I could get the tire off he would spoon a new one on. He pointed at his tool box and said "knock yourself out". A few minutes later I was pestering him and he reminded me he was quite busy. I said "I got the wheel off". He was shocked and made some time to change the tire and check out the bike. Oh, my buddy timed me...4 minutes to remove the wheel. Not bad considering I was working out of a strange tool box :-)
    I agree about carrying the 22mm socket but if I had a breaker bar I could have taken the wheel off and taken it to the first shop I found and saved a few hours looking for a shop willing to help.

Scott
    I just do not see the point in lugging around large and heavy tools when you still need someone elses efforts to finish the job. You cant change a tyre at the roadside no matter what tools are in your bag. But you can patch one long enough to get you to a shop with just a small bit of kit. There are only two things the shop might not have; the 22mm hex piece, and the knowledge. You can provide both.

Patch the tyre and make your way to the nearest shop that has the tyres you want. If they are not happy taking the wheel off, do it for them. End of problem.

I just do not see the point in lugging around large and heavy tools when you still need someone elses efforts to finish the job. You cant change a tyre at the roadside no matter what tools are in your bag. But you can patch one long enough to get you to a shop with just a small bit of kit. There are only two things the shop might not have; the 22mm hex piece, and the knowledge. You can provide both.

Patch the tyre and make your way to the nearest shop that has the tyres you want. If they are not happy taking the wheel off, do it for them. End of problem.
    And i'm not sure I would want a "professional mechanic" who's afraid of that simple setup touching my bike anyway.