Thread: running on one cylinder?

running on one cylinder?

First, a little history with the bike's seemingly lean carburetion:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=113378

I just finished a crank-up rebuild and it fired right up (with noticeably more compression at the kick starter). It still has that lean-feeling weirdness. And I discovered the left exhaust chamber is barely getting warm. Funny, it sounded like it was running on both cylinders.

I took off the plug lead, inserted a spare plug, and kicked to determine it was getting a spark. WTF? I guess the plug that's in there could be fouled and not lighting things up. What else could it be?

Did you check the coil if it is giving spark? I know when I did my crank on my Honda rs250 I did a leak down test to make sure there was no leaks. It had to hold 6psi for 3 mins. IF it didn't I had a leak and got out the spray bottle with soap in it to find the leak. GPCMoto.com has one in the tool section. I hope that is some help.

I took off the plug lead, inserted a spare plug, and kicked to determine it was getting a spark.
    Yes the coil is providing juice to the plug.

I did a quick and dirty cleaning of the (remaining) air solenoids and put in B8ES plugs. (I know, I know, but they are just for heat cycling the new engine in neutral without a load.)

Started and ran without the choke. Both pipes get nice and toasty. And it doesn't seem to hang up when revved. PV pulleys turn when't it's revved high.

By gawd I may be able to ride this on my first scheduled track day May 28!

Old plug in the questionable cylinder came out wet but not blackened fouled. Maybe wet was enough? That's the way it came out before the rebuild, too. A new plug with no deposits, just wet.

P.S. I thought my CR250 sounded badass with no airbox. This thing has double the badass intake honk. Totally overwhelms the Arrow cans at low RPMs/throttle openings.