Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just returned an 03 tornado

apriliaforum Junkie
    i love aprilia's because there rare to be honest the less on the road the better, its something that we have that few people do. but i do agree with a couple of people in this thread and a few others from elsewheres. piaggio is not concered with the us market as much as europe, other than the scooter division, aprilia has always been very small. to be honest i love all italian bikes and was also looking at a benelli tornado to go with my rsv. but in the comming years benelli is goin to try and take over the us market with its new chinese money. they are importing over 20 thousand motorcycles by 2010 to the us. which is by far more than aprilia. plus Qiangjing the company that owns benelli dwarfs piaggio in size, and in production. so look for benelli to be seen quite a lot in the upcoming years, more so than aprilia

I have no yen for them whatsoever.

Ho ho. Ha ha. Ho ho.

And viewing them from the rear with the radiators and fans under the seat they remind me of the little underwater scuba craft with the caged propeller blades all spinning around and shit. Real good if you're Mike Nelson.

apriliaforum expert norcolmille's Avatar

Exclamation returned ? Did you get $

I am curious if / how you returned the tornado

In the US we have a "lemon law" in certain states and you can return a car..
    and get the $$ and or the same vehicle

did the dealer take the tornado in trade move you up or into the Aprilia ?

In any case I am sure you will enjoy the more reliable aprilia
    present
    now a 2017 Aprilia Tuono RR let the mods begin
    sold the fun little 675 daytona
    previous - two Gen2 "Factories"
    5 past Apes and other rides too numerous to mention

Just curious ,will the new ones have "made in china" stamped on the bottom?
    08 SPEED TRIPLE (triple)
    04 RSVR (twin #1) 00 RC51 (twin #2)
    89 750 KATANA (I4)
    80 KZ 1300 (I6)

Quote Originally Posted by Beau1K View Post
    Chinese Benelli

So...what do they call it "Binerri"?

RACIST!!!!
    AndyD
    94 GTS 1000 gone to a good home! 04 ST1300 Micah was right. 42.3 mpg
    Smooth as silk. "Naturally the common people don't want war: neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But after all it is the leaders of a country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or fascist dictaatorship, or a parliament or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peace makers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country. H. Goring

And viewing them from the rear with the radiators and fans under the seat they remind me of the little underwater scuba craft with the caged propeller blades all spinning around and shit. Real good if you're Mike Nelson.

[/QUOTE]

You're Killin' me Gary..
    Even an xmas segue with the ho-ho-ho's!!!

[QUOTE=SoulDaddy;2031677]I have no yen for them whatsoever.

Ho ho. Ha ha. Ho ho.
    Last edited by AndyD; 03-19-2009 at 07:49 PM.
    AndyD
    94 GTS 1000 gone to a good home! 04 ST1300 Micah was right. 42.3 mpg
    Smooth as silk. "Naturally the common people don't want war: neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But after all it is the leaders of a country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or fascist dictaatorship, or a parliament or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peace makers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country. H. Goring

apriliaforum Junkie
    watch what happens with benelli by 2011 theyll be plentiful in the us much more so then aprilia ..... the owners are stricly gunning for the u.s market

Maybe they will sell them at walfart.

apriliaforum expert twinkiethekid's Avatar

To reminisce over a trackday encounter

On 11 Sept 2007 I attended a trackday that had most of the Italian makes present, including Benelli. One of the Tres they had refused to start and they began the search for the gremlin. For an hour and a half they searched, stripped the bodywork and hammered the starter motor to what I thought would be the point of failure. When the engine finally showed signs of life, it was not one of those "eureka" moments where the engine springs to life. It choked, coughed, sputtered and generally was forced into life. It was sad to watch and that particular Tre never left the garage.

The TNT I took onto the track felt like it had most of the fasteners loose. I was fully expecting a cartoon moment where the whole bike would fly apart, leaving me with just the clip-ons in my hands at the side of the track.

Needless to say, this put me off Benelli--likely forever.

In contrast, the MV Brutale I rode was a solid and fun bike to thrash. I'd buy an MV long before any Benelli.
    '03 Falco, in the fast colors
    '15 Caponord #119

Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to roast in the depths of a Slor that day I can tell you.
    Constitution Allah Ackbar Tea Party bomb abortion patriot gun IRS Islam dog whistle Obama prayer tax surveillance

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by norcolmille View Post
    I am curious if / how you returned the tornado

In the US we have a "lemon law" in certain states and you can return a car..
    and get the $$ and or the same vehicle

did the dealer take the tornado in trade move you up or into the Aprilia ?

In any case I am sure you will enjoy the more reliable aprilia
    Wish they had that here in Australia. Would have returned my Aprilia LONG before the 2.5 years it took for them to finally getting around to replacing rear brake parts on my bike rather than just bleeding it.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
    Am I interested in the new Benelli bikes? Sure. Would I buy a new '06 or '07 model? Probably, as soon as I get enough dough to buy one.
    I do still like my Aprilia, too, and the current one isn't my first one, and probably not the last one, either.

I have had the chance of test riding most of the '07 models of both Benelli and Triumph during this season. Even though I like both triples, (and some of the Triumph twins), a side by side test ride of TnT Sport and TreK vs. Speed Triple and the new Tiger was pretty interesting. In both cases the Benellis won my heart and my, um, backside. They were both more engaging, better handling, perhaps, better riding position and more fun in general than their Hinckley counterparts. IMO, anyway.

Both brands and each model are very nice bikes, though. I work in a Benelli and Triumph dealership these days, so I actually sell both of those triples. Even though I get to see both of those side by side, I think I would choose a Pesaro triple for myself. I might not recommend the Pesaro triple to someone already fixed on the Hinckley triple, though, because Triumph aren't too shabby, either, and Benelli will never be everyone's cup of tea. They will appeal a smaller and quirkier audience, even though they are pretty good and reliable bikes these days.

If you decide to buy a Benelli, just make sure you'll have it serviced and/or tuned by a proper Benelli mechanic who knows his stuff, not by some lawnmower or car mechanic. Or even by some average Jap bike mechanic.

The Benelli mechanics that know their stuff know that quite a few things can be done to the Benellis, and things that can be installed to Triumphs, like Tuneboy software, can also be installed in the Benellis, which may improve the performance of each triple brands.

well, i agree somewhat with what your saying , the fact that benelli isnt everyones cup of tea, but neither is aprilia for that matter, but the fact that its so unique and has to many unique mechanics, could also popularize the bike and the manufacturer for that matter. dont you think

That 03 and some of the earlier TNT's were legacy bikes left over from the Merloni Group and Italian manufacturing. Merloni was known to have publicly commented that as soon as the bikes left the factory they weren't his responsibilty. I heard that the US branch under the new ownership are much better at taking care of business and engineering. If that makes a difference!

apriliaforum expert
    The Benerri is one of those really weird bikes that I quite like, but unsure what it is about it I do like. I suspect the name partly, Italian, and hardly common. The fans at the back I like.

I think the tank is nice because it's different, and kind of artistic, but hat it because of the bollock removal system designed into it.

The upper side fairing is excessively bulky, and is the worst bit, imo harkin g back to faired attempts at bikes of 40 years ago, but the front view is again different and artistic.

The standard exhaust is completely lacking in artistic flair and makes it look dated.

Overall it is an interesting machine but don't rate it's devaluing by Chinese ownership, and couldn't have one because of that.

Only my 2p
    Last edited by SEAN; 10-28-2009 at 04:30 PM.

For the Benelli Lovers out there

Ok you love the Benelli triple, some would say its sexy and vicious but, considering allllllll the problems out there, no distribution network and now chinese ownership; Do you really want to mess with this bike? Hey I loved it the first moment I saw it, especially those crazy rear cooling fans but, I want to RIDE my bike not park it in a living room.

May I offer a suggestion?
    Buy your self a poster of the Benelli you love, put it in your garage and then go to your local Triumph dealer and get any, 955 or 1050 triple, perhaps a Speed Triple? And ride to hell and back without any problems.
    I 've owned a few bikes but, my Triumph is by far the best!
    I know I;ll get some grief from the Aprilia guys but, the truth and 12 years riding a Triumph should count for something.

Paris
    2015 RED Capo Too many smiles to the gallon!
    2006 Capo, Still one of my favorites! Sold: at AF1 Austin
    Ducati St4s 03, (My ride in bella Italia)
    Old Faithful Triumph Daytona T595...1998
    2006 Triumph Speed Triple sold
    1986 Yamaha FZ(sold)

apriliaforum expert
    Indeed they are such beautiful bikes. Just in case you guys haven't seen or sat on one in person wow what a rude awakening. The way the gas tank is shaped was a terrible idea from a riders standpoint. If pressed up against the tank (my riding style preference) then the gas tank protrudes in towards your lower abs. Not so comfy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast