Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: please read this before installing a PC3 or updating your ECU

apriliaforum newb
    I got it back from the dealer after requesting a switch back to Map 1. It isn't running as well as I had hoped- still a little surge and hesitation and a little rough on the on/off transition.

The dealer said that the system updates from Aprilia automatically, like a Windows update, and wasn't too interested in talking about Version #'s.

So now I've had 3 maps- the way I first got it , which I believe was Map2 with the O2 sensors still enabled; Map 2 without sensors (disabled); and now Map 1 as it comes from Aprilia. I think that the first way ran best, but the differences are subtle and maybe I am getting oversensitive.

I think I'll run it like it is for a while and see.........

I don't like thinking that the only way to change anything is to change pipes as I like the stock pipes the way they are, I just want the bike to run better.

apriliaforum newb
    To make it more digestable for Tuono newbs like myself, this is the policy/procedure to switch from map 1 to map2, and by all means correct me if i'm wrong:

- Never run map 2 on stock pipes, only aftermarket without cat converters (likewise, dont run map 1 on aftermarket pipes).
    - Activation of engine variant 2 (map 2) by the dealer.
    - Dealer logs on to AXONE (not really sure what that is) and updates the bike's ECU with the latest software version (if not already up to date). The ECU software needs to be compatible with the respective map.
    -upon the software's update, if needed, throttle bodies need to be synchronized and idle speed mixture may need adjustment with a CO meter.

How does that sound?

I've read this a few times and here's what I've done so far. I think I'm on track... sent ecu to AF1 and it was switched to map 2. Got the Mivv slip ons ready to go-baffles removed. Evoluzione airbox and aftermarket filter. Intake snorkel pulled out from the front of the airbox. Installed PCIII, now where do I get a map? Do I download it from PC site? Or do I gotta head into a shop and do some dyno time?
    Everybody dies, not everybody lives.

'08 RSVR Factory

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesinmud View Post
    Installed PCIII, now where do I get a map? Do I download it from PC site? Or do I gotta head into a shop and do some dyno time?
    You must not have understood or skipped over the most important part of my first post at the start of this thread.

Do not download a map from any other bike or site, custom make one.

quoting myself:
    "Since there are so many Aprilia ECU maps, and without the AXONE no one knows what bike has what map, you must be careful when installing a PC3 and downloading a map from Dyno Jet or off your friend’s bike.

The PC3 map is an add-on to the ECU map, a PC3 map from another bike that has down level ECU software will not be correct for a bike with updated ECU software.
    "

This thread has gotten way too long with way too many replies that are straying off topic or creating even more confusion.
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Amauri.
    Sorry to add another off topic to your thread but you must have the patience of a saint. Your contibutions are priceless and your expertise much appreciated, please don't be discouraged.

Many thanks.

Aldo.

apriliaforum Member johnyfactory's Avatar

advice

ok ive been following this topic and im looking for advice,going to fit mivv's gp cans to a 08 tuono factory,there going to run with the baffles fitted (legal) so is it correct to run on map 1 in this case,i know if i remove the baffles that map 2 is required and how will it run in this case

johny

Can a fuel pressure gauge kit help with Map2?

My '07 Factory has the map 2, Acropv slip ons, no baffles, and the Ev larger air box kit and she runs great like this, but...

Gas mileage is only about 30 mpg, and freinds that ride behind me say the exhaust fumes stink with unspent fuel. Worse in the colder months then in the summer.

My dealer tells me that a PCIII will help both, but I doubt this option without extensive dyno testing. Would installing an adjustable fuel pressure gauge help? Would fuel mileage be better? Less fumes? Anyone have thoughts and advice?
    Cheers,

Atom

'07 Tuono Factory

Well, I decided to reinstall the baffles in the Acropov slip ons to try and kill the unspent petrol smell. So far it's been a marked improvement. My mates tell me they can't smell exhaust anymore and I noticed the bike runs just as well with them in as it does with them out. It's much quieter, which makes my neighbors happier too. I guess I'll scrap the idea of the fuel pressure gauge and run as is...
    Cheers,

Atom

'07 Tuono Factory

How is that setup working for you?

I have a stock 2008, talked to a guy who is convincoing me to leave it all stock and then just dyno it with a PCIII.

This really goes against what every one has said here.

Here is what I want out of it: I don't think the bike sounds good with the stock exhaust and have located a set of Leo Vince for very reasonable price. I don't have neighbors to worry about, and the cops would need to be pulling me over for something else besides sound. I do want to get rid of the studder and jiggles I get on throttle response.. I am not into grabbing more HP just to have it, but I want the bike to sound like a big V twin, and I want it to run smooth, without pouring gas out of th tail pipe.

Am I asking too much Obi Wan?

So far it's been a win, win situation. I've noticed an improvement in gas mileage by a couple MPG, the bike ehaust note is quieter, throttle response and drivability is still awesome, and the petrol smell is gone. The quieter part is nice in the sense that I no longer set off car alarms when riding by, and those that ride with me can hear their own bikes as well as mine now. The slip ons do still have that nice rumble the stockers didn't, just more subtle.

I dunno, I'm against the Dyno and PCIII at the moment. The Leo Vinces have a nice sound, and I know the quality is top notch! You can't go wrong with them and the map II option from the dealer for the improved throttle response. They also have the option to remove the baffles, so try both. The petrol smell was worse in the cold, winter months so it might be okay to just run them then and pull them out in the summer. However, I still wonder what the decreased back pressure of the baffles removed will do to the internals and all of the valves and seats, ect. Anyway, I recommend slip ons and map II for all your after. It's been win-win in my case.
    Cheers,

Atom

'07 Tuono Factory

Smile Thanks

Thanks Atom.

Quote Originally Posted by Atom View Post
    . ....The slip ons do still have that nice rumble the stockers didn't, just more subtle.

.....Anyway, I recommend slip ons and map II for all your after. It's been win-win in my case.
    Just the info I've been looking for. Thanks Atom.
    07 Tuono

I've got ~2500 miles on my Leo Vinces + MAP 2 now. I've left the baffles in my exhaust. I get around 30 MPG and still have some slight fueling hiccups at very light throttle application. I believe I need a set of plugs now as well. I'm planning on putting a PCIII on my bike and getting some dyno time since I think the bike is still running too rich.
    07 Tuono Factory
    Re-mapped Re-piped Re-geared Reborn

Are there any new maps that the new Navigator can upload and they have different file naming ?
    Does the Navigator uses the same maps as the Axone does or the naming changes?

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    The RSVR & RSVR-Tuono is an end-of-life product.
    No new maps have been released since late 06 and the Navigator uses the exact same maps/file names.
    I doubt there will be any new maps for the V990 bikes unless something drastic changes.
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast