Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: please read this before installing a PC3 or updating your ECU

apriliaforum prov-nov mmarriott2's Avatar
    Im sorry for having asked such a stupid question as to sound like I didnt even read the first post ( I read it several times actually) But as a new comer to this bike some of the terms one comes across on this site can confuse. Like the two different MAPS people refer to when talking of MAP2.

And my question was how to remove the studder without changing exhaust. No one answered that one.

Finally found out that my bike does not need the fuel map 2 due to its early build date. But it does need the MAP2 dealing with the 02 sensor, once I changed exhaust of course.

And to Amuri,
    Sir Im in Las Vegas. Ive since cored some pipes, and added a PC3 (still not custom mapped). The studder has all but disapeared. I figure once I save some coin for that custom map ($250 out here) I'll be straight. And Good ole Ed at AF! came through with some maps for me to try. Got to love those guys!

And the only guys out here with that program dont have a clue how to use it.

apriliaforum prov-nov

Cool

Does anyone know why they go to open loop on map 2? It seems stupid to run in open loop when the system is capable to run in closed loop in map 1.
    Is there anyway to enable closed loop operation in map 2 with an aftermarket
    programmer such as the Power Comander?

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    What are your reasons for wanting closed loop enabled in map-2?

Quote Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
    Does anyone know why they go to open loop on map 2? It seems stupid to run in open loop when the system is capable to run in closed loop in map 1.
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Generic OEM O2 sensors can only define mixture in a VERY NARROW range, the correct range to keep a catalyzer burning cleanly. Contrary to popular belief wide band sensors have a very finite life, ask any of the import car tuners how long they really last....and they are stupid expensive too.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum newb

Some newb questions here...bear with me

I crashed my brand new 2007 Tuono a couple weeks ago, very minor low-side. Anyhow, the pipes are scratched, and I'm making an insurance claim so I'm putting new pipes on 'er.

The main thing I want out of pipes at this point is smoother low-end throttle response. It's bad at idle, but also, the bike seems like it hesitates when the throttle is cracked open, even at freeway speeds/RPM 5000-7000. If I let off the throttle completely to slow down a bit, and then I gently begin to roll it back on, the first 1-2mm of throttle engagement is really sluggish (no, it's not the cable slack, this is AFTER the slack has been twisted up). Additionally, I'm getting that flat spot around 4K RPM that everyone else complains about.

So....I'm thinking of the Akrapovic Titanium slip-ons right now. My question is: The initial post in this thread (very helpful) says that Map 2 is for non-catalytic pipes. The Akrapovic Titaniums have a "free-flowing cat". Can I run Map 2 on the Akrapovics? Will it help out with the sluggish bottom end?
    How about the 4K flat spot? My dealer recommended the hexagonal carbon Akra's but they are a pain to get ahold of apparently, and I think the titanium hexagonals look just as good.

thanks!

Hoagy

apriliaforum prov-nov

Cool

My reasons for running closed loop in map 2 is just for cleaner fuel burn and max. mpg.
    One more stupid question, Am I safe to run map 1 with aftermarket slip ons?Its about 70 miles to my dealer to get the bike switched to map 2.
    Thanks

apriliaforum newb

Which Map2--clarification request

Hi all,

I have read this thread but I am a bit confused on which Map 2 variant to use. I picked up my Bike last week. I have a 2007 Tuono (manufactured 09/07). I have installed my Akra pipes and will take it in for first servicing this Friday.

I would like to know which Map 2 file should be installed to ensure it runs well. If someone can give me the appropriate reference numbers, I can then check to make sure my dealer has the correct one(s). My dealer is, as of recently, no longer the official dealer so I don't know how up-to-date their Map files are. I want to be sure they don't install something too old and results in even worse performance.

I do love this bike!

Thanks,
    Spencer

Hello Spencer,

Your bike's build date indicates it not an early one with the faulty ECU software, you should not need an update.

Some people are confused between map-2 and the software versions or updates.
    What most refer to as map-2 is called "engine variant 2" on the AXONE menu.
    Map-2 is not a software update or alternate file to be loaded into the ECU.

What is the p/n on your ECU? should start with 2665**

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post
    Hello Spencer,

Your bike's build date indicates it not an early one with the faulty ECU software, you should not need an update.

Some people are confused between map-2 and the software versions or updates.
    What most refer to as map-2 is called "engine variant 2" on the AXONE menu.
    Map-2 is not a software update or alternate file to be loaded into the ECU.

What is the p/n on your ECU? should start with 2665**
    Hi,

Thanks for the info. I am not sure on the p/n.

So, what do I need to do to the ECU to run the bike with Akrapovic exhausts and perhaps a PCIII in the future? I thought I needed to have a new Map file loaded to turn of the O2 sensor so that the system is not a closed loop.

Thanks,
    Spencer

without your ECU p/n I can't tell you for sure

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post
    without your ECU p/n I can't tell you for sure
    Thanks I will see if I can find that number. The ECU is not located someplace easy to access, like under the seat, is it?

apriliaforum Member
    Hi-- I have a new 08 Tuono R and want to get Akra pipes. I asked my dealer if he could do the switch to "engine variant 2" and he said that he does not have an AXONE and wont be buying one because a new tool is coming out this month that will make the AXONE obsolete. Does anyone know anything about this ?

Quote Originally Posted by ratdog View Post

I agree with ratdog. Out of closed loop means no fuel control. If the system is capable, then it will be more accurate if O2 feedback is utilized.

I've seen an O2 manipulator like a previous poster spoke of. There is one developed for Ducatis. www.fatduc.com
    If it will work you would get the best of both worlds. More fuel across the board and maintaining fuel control.
    I've spoken with the guy and the plug for the new 696 is the same as the Aprilia sensor. He said there was some trouble using it on that model with Ducati's Siemens ECU. It uses two O2s so it is probably a more sophisticated ecu then the Ape uses.

I wonder if the Siemens on our bikes would allow it. The only problem I could for see with it is the ECU may find fuel trims are too great and trigger a lean code.
    Modern (auto) systems will recognize if too much fuel is needed to achieve the proper mixture and think there is another problem, setting a trouble code.

Jason at Fatduc said he would let me try one for 30 days to see if it would work on our bikes but I have to wait until spring. (hard to get a feel for what's happening in the snow...)

Any thoughts or anybody with experience with this set up?
    07 Tuono

Bazzaz

Just contacted Bazzaz Performance to ask if they would be producing control units for our bikes.

They planning on doing it and need to get the time to develop it.

They are one of the outfits working with KWS on the Aprilia effort this season so I see it happening.

Has anyone had problems with their PC's dropping maps? It happens a lot with Suzuki's, just wondering what the experience has been with the Aprilia's.
    "Cause after all is said and done it's better that you had some fun...no one lives forever!" - Oingo Boing -
    www.velocetrackdays.com
    WSMC #99
    WERA Expert #199

Quote Originally Posted by wsmc99 View Post
    Has anyone had problems with their PC's dropping maps? It happens a lot with Suzuki's, just wondering what the experience has been with the Aprilia's.
    Have not seen that on the Aprilias at all.

The trucks leave for Daytona in two or three weeks, I hope Bazzaz finds some time quickly.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast