Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Futura and Caponord dash repair

apriliaforum Member
    Meanstrk for President! 'saved me 600 bucks today, he did. Same old jumper problem from the diode to the capacitor, exactly as pictured. Thanks, bro! If you find yourself in KC, dinner and drinks are on me. If I bump into you some time, same debt.

I was so certain that I fried something internal by using too much contact cleaner on the tiny pins that I've been riding since August without a functioning dash (note to self- 20xxx miles is really +2500). I figured I had nothing to lose, so I was prepared to hot wire the LED pin so I at least have comforting blue dash lighting instead of pitch blackness at night, but when I touched the wire to the magic spots on the circuit board- Bingo! the heavens opened and I swear I heard a choir of angels when the board lit with a full LED display. So I soldered the jumper, reassembled the dash and for the whopping cost of 4" of wire, I saved myself a shitpot of expense and I'm back to full instrumentation. Thanks again! Next week's Southwest Ride with xdbx is gonna be SOOOO much more pleasant.

BTW, I noticed there's a lot of empty space in the outside lower corners of the dash case. Plenty of room to run a series of indicator LEDs for gadgets/whatever if somebody wanted to. Not big enough or deep enough to install a Datel votage meter, though.

It would be interesting to tally how much cash each thread has saved forum members.... I figure this one's probably worth close to 10 grand. I say 10% kickback to the originator. You da man!
    Last edited by JoeKC; 04-30-2007 at 09:21 PM.

I say 10% kickback to the originator.
    I'm game! I could ALWAYS use some extra $$$$ for tires!

Glad it worked out for you! Always brings a smile to my face when I can help a brother out!
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

apriliaforum newb

Further Dash Mods - ?????

After reading this thread, your the man.

I have not had my dash apart and touch wood no problems (2004 Aus model) to date.

But I have a wish list, and was wondering if, can they be done.

Mod the pics (program) to allow second trip meter ??????

Enough room behind glass and board for gear indication, this would have to be done with some other device eg Acumen I imagine (Blue would look cool to) see pic below

Was there ever an ABS model Futura ????
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I am sure that a gear indicator can easily be added simply by mounting it to the surface of the guage face where you show. An additional trip meter would require some other changes though and that is not something I am interested in trying.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

Was there ever an ABS model Futura ????
    Nope, but apparently in 2001 Aprilia were planning to do it. Guess poor sales killed that idea off.

Component level repairs?

I had a reg/rec fail in the closed circuit condition and it has taken out my instrument cluster along the way - dash went blank and needles frozen in positon at the speed and RPM when it happened. Curiously it also blew all three headlight globes even though I only had my low beam on. Also blew the rear 30Amp fuse under the seat. Damn lucky I still have the ECU as the bike is fine and I am getting around with a bicycle computer fitted.

I have already looked at the on-board voltage and I get 12v dc at all the test points (zener diode, capacitor, & IC pin 19. What I don't have is anything other than oil pressure & neutral lights. I presume the voltage regulator IC is fried and needs replacing.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone has done a component level repair beyond the jumper wire fix, and if so, how did it go? I'm not so keen to fork out for another dash if it is only a $2 electronic component that needs replacing and the local Aprilia wrecker wants $880 AUD ($790 USD) for a second hand cluster with 37,000 km on it...
    Mike

That's my Grandfather.

apriliaforum newb

Board at the doctors

I have an old board Mike that is in the same state as yours.

I have a mate in the pc board electronics business, and he is sourcing the chips part numbers and serials for replacement.

I have also hit him up about programing the pics - apparently easier said than done.

I will leave it with him for a while (no pressure yea right).

I will get back to you as soon I get some info.

What was the wrecker with the dash, does he have a complete bike ?????

I have ordered an acurmen gear indicator for incorporation into the dash.

Keep you posted.

Scott

Scott,
    PM sent. BTW how did you kill your board?
    Mike

That's my Grandfather.

apriliaforum newb

Drowned

The dash and unfortunatley the bike were a victim of last years Newcaslte flood.

The bike is being worked on as a repairable rite off. But the dash is an ongoing project.

Repaired dead speedo!

Well, I seem to have repaired the dead speedo/odometer of my Fut.

It quit working about 1 year ago, all other functions of the dash still worked. All attempts to find the problem, let alone repair it, had failed (checked the speedo sensor was OK, that the sensor signal arrived on the PCB of the dash, looked for cracks, loose components, etc.) In the end I let it rest; I didn't need the speedo on my daily commute and used the GPS on trips.

The funny thing was that during my holiday last summer the speedo/odometer suddenly started working again, only for a few days. But this gave me the idea that the root cause of the problem was probably a tiny crack or bad soldering spot.

Then a few weeks ago on a rainy Sunday afternoon, I decided to do what I should've done right after I came back from holiday: resolder all spots on the PCB of which I figured might even be remotely related to the speedo/odometer signal path.

And with success!! Right after that operation the speedo/odometer functioned again and have been doing so now for more than 4 weeks, and I use the Fut daily.

So for those with the same problem and no luck on flea bay getting a new one this might be worth a try. Remember to use a low wattage soldering iron (15W), and use a magnifying glass for the very small components. My advice would be to touch all soldering spots except for the two larger integrated circuits located on the left side and on the right side of the PCB and also not the power supply circuitry on top of the PCB. Those three areas I definitely didn't touch. You can also omit the "driver" integrated circuit near the revmeter. I'm sorry for not making any pictures, so if in doubt just omit the two large intergrated cicuits on either side of the PCB.

If someone has a piccie of the complete PCB (soldering side) you could post it here and I'll indicate the areas which I resoldered.
    Rob - '01 Rosso Flame

"Riders Create More Problems Than Motorcycles Are Designed To Handle" - Keith Code

Can this picture help?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	panel small.JPG 
Views:	852 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	82117  

Thought this would help a bit...

Magic, huh?

Name:	Futura Instrument PCB.jpg 
Views:	875 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	82118  

Thanks a lot fellas!
    Futura, I took Deefred's picture, he was first

Indicated below the areas I resoldered. Most spots have probably nothing to do with the speedo signal path, but better too much than too few. I suspect though that the real bad spot(s) were in the rightmost area. The soldering spots there were really bad quality.
    Be advised that if you've got no experience soldering such tiny spots it's better left to someone who can to do it for you because if you're not careful it's easy to accidentally bridge some spots/components which shouldn't be.

Name:	panel_small_areas.jpg 
Views:	989 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	82129  

Rob - '01 Rosso Flame

"Riders Create More Problems Than Motorcycles Are Designed To Handle" - Keith Code

Updated the pic links.......
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

Quote Originally Posted by sejf1100 View Post
    After reading this thread, your the man.

I have not had my dash apart and touch wood no problems (2004 Aus model) to date.

But I have a wish list, and was wondering if, can they be done.

Mod the pics (program) to allow second trip meter ??????
    On a bike like this I'd have to say they actually overlooked the dual trip, heck a Katana has one.
    2007 Tuono 1000R Factory - 22K miles
    Cored OE Racing Cans‡Map2‡Pazzo Shorty Knock-offs‡15-40‡AF1 Link Plates‡Aprilia Sliders
    ‡
    Laminar Windscreen‡Lowered Pegs‡LED City and Tag Lights
    ‡
    ProTaper Universal Low‡Clear Signal Lenses

2017 Z125 PRO in Candy Lime Green
    Many mods

2001 Futura in Silver - Sold, after 8.5 years of service.

Retired - DJ, Turntablist, MC, Creator, Video Editor and Mixologist.
    Cored OE Cans vs Leo Vince Titanium Vid
    Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

Chrome extension to see photobucket blocked pics.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast