Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Futura and Caponord dash repair

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by futuraMac
    So Ron,
    For those of us that a "challanged" in this area,

Read most of the universe

Great work, and a lot of time and effort taken in sharing it.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by futuraMac
    So Ron,
    For those of us that a "challanged" in this area, would you start doing this fix on the side for a reasonable fee?

Sure. I would not hesitate to do so.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

My hat is off to you Meanstrk. I really appreciate you working through this!

Carl

Awesome work by meanstrk and CapoGrandad!!! This must be the post of the year. Who can make this sticky??
    Printed a copy of it for my service manual.
    Hans

I received a dash today from a Futura owner with the same symptoms as mine had. Soldering a jumper wire verified that it would come to life once all connections were resoldered, so it will be going to work with me for the full repair! Unfortunately, the speedo also seems to be screwed on this one, so that will take some READ steady havds to fix since the wiring on those speedo and tach drives is super small single strand stuff.

Got another one on the way as well. Hope that one goes smooth too!
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

Wiring mod to fix these

After doing a couple of these boards for a couple members, I have come up with a simple fix that does not require any sort of special stuff with the exception of a low heat soldering iron and a little solder. The hardest part of this is to pull those freaking needles off the speedo and tach!

Anyways, the primary problem with these boards is the loss of contact between the zener diode and the capacitor. (See labeled pic below)

In order to fix this and completely alleviate the problem, as well as making sure it does not happen again, I have found that the best way is to not bother removing the capacitor, but rather, run a wire from the diode to the capacitor. This, in essence, replaces the run on the circuit board and takes the pass through connection out of the picture as well. It is also easy to do!

These instructions are assuming that you already have the board out of the casing, so:

Drill a 1/16" hole in the circuit board in the location show. The reason I do this is due to the tight tolerance at the perimeter of the circuit board when mounted in the casing. This helps maintain the weather protection here as well and will not disrupt any circuit runs on the board in this location.

Using an insulated small gauge wire, solder it to the diode where noted. Run the wire through the hole to the back side of the board, and then solder it to the capacitor lead as noted.

I used a little dab of RTV on the wire to ensure it does not vibrate and come loose.

This should make it easy for anyone having problems with a dead dash! As usual though, if you don't trust yourself to take the assembly apart, you are more than welcome to send it to me and I will be happy to fix it and test if before sending back. Any questions, drop me a PM!
    Last edited by meanstrk; 06-21-2008 at 10:07 AM.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

apriliaforum Member BillyFutura's Avatar

Don't need to drill!

My fix where I just put solder on the pads and resoldered the cap finally failed. I tried to repeat doing the same fix, but did not work. So I proceeded to put a jumper in from the diode to the capacitor. I went through the hole in the multipin connector to get to the backside of the board and it worked fine. No drilling was necessary. There is enough clearance for the wire when you reassemble the dash. You do need to make sure that you don't get too near an led that is in the area but if you put a bit of a curve in the wire as in the picture, your fine.

Name:  PICT1931.JPG
Views: 3581
Size:  71.0 KB
    Name:  PICT1932.JPG
Views: 3536
Size:  61.9 KB
    The wire I used was a little on the large side. Would be better a bit smaller
    2001 Stream Silver Futura (sold)
    2002 Ash Black Futura
    Heli-bars, AF1 fuel qd fix, Throttlemeister, c/f hugger, Famsa 246 tank bag, Evoluzione air filter, Wilber full tilt shock(-1"), Falco forks modified by Lindemann Engineering, Taylormade exhaust, John's rectifier, R&G frame sliders, Scottoiler w/dual injector, Odyssey 545 drycell battery, Stebel Nautilus Compact Dual-Tone airhorn, HID headlamps, , Garmin Zumo GPS, Passport radar detector, Doran tire pressure monitor, Pazzo levers, heated grips.

Not bad at all! Only reason I did not use that location is to avoid pinching when the whole thing goes together. I try to avoid the possibility of a rub through.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

apriliaforum Member BillyFutura's Avatar

Forgot to mention one thing,,

Forgot to mention something in my post above. This go round I plugged the mother board into the connectors on the bike and powered the bike up before I put the needles back on, to get a proper zero. The needles do shift a bit when the dash sees power.
    2001 Stream Silver Futura (sold)
    2002 Ash Black Futura
    Heli-bars, AF1 fuel qd fix, Throttlemeister, c/f hugger, Famsa 246 tank bag, Evoluzione air filter, Wilber full tilt shock(-1"), Falco forks modified by Lindemann Engineering, Taylormade exhaust, John's rectifier, R&G frame sliders, Scottoiler w/dual injector, Odyssey 545 drycell battery, Stebel Nautilus Compact Dual-Tone airhorn, HID headlamps, , Garmin Zumo GPS, Passport radar detector, Doran tire pressure monitor, Pazzo levers, heated grips.

Another tip: don't try to pull the needles straight off -I tried to do that with a lot of force but didn't succeed-, just turn them around right through the resistence at the end and they come off rather easy .

On another one, some heating up with the smallest smd-rework piece helped.
    Last edited by Shades of Grey; 02-04-2008 at 02:50 PM.

apriliaforum Member
    Name:  circuit board.JPG
Views: 3552
Size:  28.3 KB

Ron
    what are the boxed items on the drawing

apriliaforum newb

Smile Repair of speedometer and tachometer

Hi,

I own one of few Futura's here in Norway - it's a great bike!!!

My tach and speedometer stopped working just 1 hour after I brought the bike out for the summer season.
    It was to great help for me to use this web page for searching for help. I opended the housing and found both arrovs to be loose (axle spinning inside the arrow). One drop of glue on each, and I saved a fortune!!!

Thanks for a greate forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Satellitebikema
    Name:  circuit board.JPG
Views: 3552
Size:  28.3 KB

Ron
    what are the boxed items on the drawing

I seem to recall that those were capacitors.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

apriliaforum Member
    Thanks for that Ron,by any chance have you ever done a in-circuit test for capacitance.

Quote Originally Posted by Satellitebikema
    Thanks for that Ron,by any chance have you ever done a in-circuit test for capacitance.

I never documented individual componant values if that is what you are asking, no.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast