Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Futura and Caponord dash repair

Double mega kudos Ron... I echo all the previous posts in saying most excellent job and I hope like hell I never have to pull it up for reference...

If you can please keep us updated on your surgery, my prayers are with you...

That's impressive. I wouldn't go in there unless the bike would absolutely not run without it. The only dash thing I've seen so far is the service reset, but the bike is young and I may need this someday, especially if it's another famous built-in Aprilia electrics snafu.

Thanks and I hope the doctor saves your neck---literally.

Nope............... That "pad" you are referring to is a test point, not a solder pad.
    Last edited by meanstrk; 01-09-2007 at 08:40 AM.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

nice find, always satisfying to find a bug like that. Have you found any other potential spots like this hidden under a component?
    Good luck with the surgery, never fun getting zipped open. You're getting 2 vertebrae fused(not the discs), yes? Let's here it for titanium implants. w/o, you'd have to stay still until the bones completely healed together. Do they leave the cage in forever? Might make for an interresting trip thru airport security. rick

Scot & Switzerland (Scoterland) add Spain to that
    Not sure what pad you are referencing here.
    These are the pads I mean, if indeed they are pads.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Bikeaholic
    These are the pads I mean, if indeed they are pads.

These are more of a test probe point than a pad. Nothing there really to support a pin.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

Did a PCB via fail?

Is so, could we just push a 30awg wire though the via and solder both ends?
    '02 Futura, Blue
    99.5k miles and ok, it's old.

Quote Originally Posted by rblue02
    Did a PCB via fail?

Is so, could we just push a 30awg wire though the via and solder both ends?

If you can fit it through, yes.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

Thumbs up Ron Kick's Major Ass

Ron,
    Excellent job.....amazing to me.....I'm waaaaay dumber than Bef at this stuff and I'm inspired to do this fix and my dash works just fine....told you I was dumb at electronics......dumber than a bucket of hair.......your necks' jacked because you look at all this tiny board wiring all day.....get well. thanx
    John
    2006 BMW K1200SLeo Vince, ya it's modded.
    2000 Duc
    01' Candy Apple Red er (Flame Red the amazingly fast color), TaylorMades, John B's rectifier w/wiring mods, mille air box, polished wheels, de-identified, RhinoMoto sliders, kevlar and graphite kknuder valves,metal fuel qd, Odyssey 545 dry cell bat. fully optioned Wilbers 641, Lindemann Engeering re-worked forks, chrome reverse muffler bearings, Strada's , hone extruded hyper-drive

apriliaforum Member BillyFutura's Avatar

YES!! I now know what time it is!! :)

I now know what time it is, not to mention how fast I'm going!!

I just got done doing the smoke test after doing the fix and it works!! What I did with respect to Ron's instructions was this:

1) Remove the solder off the capacitor leads coming through the pc board (get Radio Shack desoldering braid or similar, or desolder bulb). Remove the cap.

2) Tin the leads of the capacitor (flow a little solder on them).

3) Tin the 2 pads on the circuit board where the cap goes being careful not to use too high a heat and separate the pads from the board.

4) At this point the holes were pluged with solder so I went to the backside of the board and used my desoldering braid with the soldering iron to clear the hole. Heat the braid up over the hole and it just flows the solder out of the hole onto the braid.

5) Replace cap. I was careful not to push the cap all the way down to where the cap was touching the board. I wanted a tiny bit of space such that the solder would flow properly between the hole and lead once I soldered the leads on the other side of the board.

6) Solder cap leads making sure enough time and temperature allows the solder to flow on both sides of the board. Pretty nebulous, eeh?

I realize I'm not a pro like Ron, but hopefully this gives another perspective from one not so talented

Oh, getting the needles off the second time was easier. I did not use any tools just fingers. The needle that came off with the shaft was still a bit tough though. The black caps come right off the needles if need be to make things easier. Hope this helps and adds to Rons work
    Name:  PICT1910.JPG
Views: 3300
Size:  36.8 KB
    2001 Stream Silver Futura (sold)
    2002 Ash Black Futura
    Heli-bars, AF1 fuel qd fix, Throttlemeister, c/f hugger, Famsa 246 tank bag, Evoluzione air filter, Wilber full tilt shock(-1"), Falco forks modified by Lindemann Engineering, Taylormade exhaust, John's rectifier, R&G frame sliders, Scottoiler w/dual injector, Odyssey 545 drycell battery, Stebel Nautilus Compact Dual-Tone airhorn, HID headlamps, , Garmin Zumo GPS, Passport radar detector, Doran tire pressure monitor, Pazzo levers, heated grips.

That alone makes my efforts worthwhile!

Good to go! Let me know if you get the needles in and everything works well once you get it back together!

PS........ If you use a soldering vacuum pump it is MUCH easier than using wicking braid, but not matter!
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

apriliaforum Member BillyFutura's Avatar

Strange thing with the speedo

Vacuum pump huh Ron! What do ya think I have here,,a lab like you do!

I had originally given her the smoke test by just plugging in the pc board to the bike to she if it lit up, and it did. Got her all back together and plugged in on the bike and low and behold, the speedo was sitting way down by the led readout. Hmmm, ok, so I must have bumped it. Took her apart and slid the needle back to zero. Put it back on the bike but as I plugged it back into the top connector, I watched the needle. It went right back down to the led readout. Ok, so the speedo has a zero point when you apply power to it. I should have known!

So then I then took her apart again. I took the needle off! Then plugged it back into the bike connectors, THEN I put the needle back on and buttoned her back up and remounted it again. It stayed on zero mph as I plugged it back in. HOWEVER! When I turned the key on, it slid about 2 or 3 mph up!

I'll be taking her out tomorrow and see how the speedo tracks with my gps mph. I'll remount the needle with the bike turned on if need be. Also will be seeing if the tach tracks properly.

There we go! This is really great that we have a solution to the dash problem, and it really is fairly easy to fix if you can get past the needles coming off I know its plagued a few people here. I was dreading having to put out $600 or something for a new one! Thanks be to da man Ron!
    2001 Stream Silver Futura (sold)
    2002 Ash Black Futura
    Heli-bars, AF1 fuel qd fix, Throttlemeister, c/f hugger, Famsa 246 tank bag, Evoluzione air filter, Wilber full tilt shock(-1"), Falco forks modified by Lindemann Engineering, Taylormade exhaust, John's rectifier, R&G frame sliders, Scottoiler w/dual injector, Odyssey 545 drycell battery, Stebel Nautilus Compact Dual-Tone airhorn, HID headlamps, , Garmin Zumo GPS, Passport radar detector, Doran tire pressure monitor, Pazzo levers, heated grips.

Excellent...thanks,guys

steve....cape cod...20 deg. F

Quote Originally Posted by BillyFutura
    Vacuum pump huh Ron! What do ya think I have here,,a lab like you do!

What I meant was to use a solder sucker instead. You can get em pretty cheap and they work better than wicking braid when it comes to doing holes like that.

Scroll down to the desoldering pump...

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/tools.htm

You should be able to hook the cluster up without the facia on it which may help to zero out the needles.

The needle ddrive motors will naturaly go to zero when power is applied, so you can either turn them to the positive stop (they WILL stop when turning them manually) at 0 or apply power with the key on and then place the needles.

Glad it worked for you!
    Last edited by meanstrk; 12-09-2006 at 09:00 AM.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

So Ron,
    For those of us that are "challanged" in this area, would you start doing this fix on the side for a reasonable fee?
    Last edited by futuraMac; 12-10-2006 at 11:45 AM.
    John
    2006 BMW K1200SLeo Vince, ya it's modded.
    2000 Duc
    01' Candy Apple Red er (Flame Red the amazingly fast color), TaylorMades, John B's rectifier w/wiring mods, mille air box, polished wheels, de-identified, RhinoMoto sliders, kevlar and graphite kknuder valves,metal fuel qd, Odyssey 545 dry cell bat. fully optioned Wilbers 641, Lindemann Engeering re-worked forks, chrome reverse muffler bearings, Strada's , hone extruded hyper-drive

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast