Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Futura and Caponord dash repair

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Before I start an Italian bon fire I am sending out a SOS. Getting the futura going after its been neglected for a few years. Bike wouldn't start so started with new battery, then added the ford solenoid, already did the regulater and connector years ago. Dash started acting up then went out. Read all the dash info which left me with a headache as I am no good with electronics. Pulled the dash apart and added the jumper wire. Dash started working fine. Then it quit again, but if I disconnect the negative battery cable for a minute it starts working again. I did this yesterday and took if for a ride, stopped, started all was good. Today, nothing. My question is before I send the board off to be gone thru is there something that may cause this problem out side the board?

Try one thing. My 1st start-up this year was met with a dark dash. Even though my headlights worked, I pulled the 1st fuse anyway. When I put the fuse back in, my dash blinked on for a second. So I pulled it again, gave it a spritz of Deoxit and all was well.

Not sure why the headlights would work with a dodgy fuse connection - maybe the fuse only handles activating the relays, so not much current.

Anyway, all of my fuses are OE and have never once been out before this happened. Might not help you, but sure easy enough to try.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thanks for the info, I will give it a shot, all lights, blinkers, and taillight work as does neutral light. I have never had to replace a fuse, I have checked them all but will give that one a cleaning and deoxit. Thanks again.

My dash was not completely dead. I also still had the neutral light.

Quote Originally Posted by RAS View Post
    My dash was not completely dead. I also still had the neutral light.
    Sounds like the 3 capacitors inside the dashboard died. Replace them and see what happens

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by joost.bijl View Post
    Sounds like the 3 capacitors inside the dashboard died. Replace them and see what happens

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    Start back at post 332. Cleaning the #1 fuse got my dash back

apriliaforum prov-nov PaydayGabe's Avatar
    Having just finished my service project, to include the infamous Dashboard repair, , I would suggest replace the 3 Capacitors. I had a local electronic guru do mine for $20 out the door. Everything is functioning as it should,, thank God. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190327_084146.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	484.8 KB 
ID:	377732
    Good luck and keep us posted. G.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190123_112428.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	503.1 KB 
ID:	377731  

Gabe
    PM Sent

apriliaforum prov-nov
    The fuse didn't work. Cleaned the prongs and plug. Disconnected negative at battery. Dash worked fine, went for a 3 hour ride. Stopped for lunch, started back up all was good. Next morning nothing. If the 3 capacitors are bad how does pulling the battery ground get the dash back working. This is driving me crazy, mechanical I can handle, electrical much less electronic components and Im in trouble.

electrolytic capacitors are odd things. They basically work like a small battery. They also can get dried out inside with age or the plates can short as their coating breaks down. This results in the capacitor visibly swelling

Dunno why removing the battery ground would get it working again, but the good news is they are cheap and easy to replace - once you get to the board.

Mine also is still misbehaving. After sitting for a few more weeks, the dash would not come on until I cycled the key on/off a few times. Had to replace the low beam headlight a couple weeks ago. Did that w/o pulling the dash, so it's possible I bumped one of the plugs. Then again, I might be shopping for capacitors as well.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Weather is warmed up, and the futura dash is working again. Get it when the getting s good, I am going to burn some gas while the capacitors are happy.

apriliaforum newb
    hello i just bought a rst , i knew the speedo is not working , the needle does not move at all, the previous owner fitted one of these https://motogadget.com/shop/en/motoscope-mini.html
    not particularly cheap. I would guess then that the speed sensor is working on the the bike because the above device works, so i would deduct the problem lies with the circuit board .Everything else works on the dash , can anyone help me with what to do with the circuit board to fix it , i have read the whole thread but the more i read the more i seen to get overwhelmed with information , any advice would be grateful thanks to all graham

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by graham p turner View Post
    hello i just bought a rst , i knew the speedo is not working , the needle does not move at all, the previous owner fitted one of these https://motogadget.com/shop/en/motoscope-mini.html
    not particularly cheap. I would guess then that the speed sensor is working on the the bike because the above device works, so i would deduct the problem lies with the circuit board .Everything else works on the dash , can anyone help me with what to do with the circuit board to fix it , i have read the whole thread but the more i read the more i seen to get overwhelmed with information , any advice would be grateful thanks to all graham
    I would appreciate help in this topic as well.
    Mine is a 2001 EU model. Everything on the dash worked perfectly until two days ago when the speedometer needle dropped down south, pointing towards 'six o'clock'. It was still moving when I accelerated though, it reached 0 when I was riding around city speed limit. Then during riding it started moving to the right and is now fixed at max speed and now it does not move.
    For context I had charging issues because the previous (very 1st) owner had not fixed the usual electrical gremlins so my mechanic had to eliminate the brown connector, etc. He's very savvy, been working on Aprilias for 20 years, this wasn't his first time he fixed the charging system on an early 2000s V2 Aprilia, so I don't think he'd done a sloppy job. Charge is now at 14.2v at idle whereas it was around 12.5v before.
    I got the bike back around 10 days ago, my starting problems are (hopefully forever) gone now which is great news. However I don't know if there's correlation between the charging fix and this speedo issue. I wouldn't think so, because every other gauge is working on the dash and my tripometer is counting the distance so the speed sensor appears to be alright.

Thanks for your replies in advance

sounds like the needle has just come loose. Should be an easy enough repair, but you'll have to open the gauge cluster.

If that's what's happened, you should power up the gauge before reattaching the needle to get a proper 'zero" setting.

apriliaforum newb
    Similar issues here in Finland . When I bought the bike, tach was showing his own readings, and soon after wash the speedo started to act weird. Now it shows 280 kmh before the bike moves. So, one more thing to check during winter. Luckily our winters are long , haha. I shall also do all other checks, and fixes, since the bike has been standing unused last years, previous owner just started it couple times in a year. On other hand, travel times are now shorter, since there is no need to check speed all the time.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223