Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: HID Conversion Group Buy

HID Conversion Group Buy

I am investigating a group buy for HID lights. In one day of work I have been able to lower the price significantly. At this time I have sets of two down to a price of around $90. I will have to add shipping from the source and then shipping to you. This cost is not established at this time but I can tell you I won't be stabbing you like the guys on Ebay. For those that have not followed the other thread where I published comparison photos of HID vs. stock halogen bulbs I will post them here. I recently did the conversion on my low beam and the photos are a comparison of my bike and Todd's with stock lights. It goes without saying that Todd now has the same setup.

The HID offer will have the option of just doing the low beam (one bulb), just doing the high beams (two bulbs or one full kit), or all three (one and a half kits). I have been asking for suppliers to lower prices and sell me the components in bulk. You won't need the bracket or screws for the install so why buy them. So far no vendor has offered to lower the price by selling in bulk. I'll keep trying. I will need to have some volume to get the price down so knowing how many bulbs you need is important.

To help me keep it all straight please send me a p.m. with how many bulbs you want to install on your bike. I will tally this information and report the status on the thread. Once we have 60 bulbs I will place the order. I feel confident that we will be able to do at least the $90 price I have been offered so far. For those in other countries I am not at all sure what we will be able to do for payment or shipping costs. I am not shutting the door there but I need to do some work on that to feel confident I will not loose my ass in crossing some unknown export law.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images      

"Although all men are born free, slavery has been the general lot of the human race. Ignorant - they have been cheated; asleep - they have been surprised; divided - the yoke has been forced upon them. But what is the lesson? ...the people ought to be enlightened, to be awakened, to be united, that after establishing a govenment they should watch over it.... It is universally admitted that a well-instructed people alone can be permanently free."
    --James Madison

Photos of the install

Nothing says it better than photos. It really is a simple install. The only modifications required on the kit is trimming the excess off of the bulb spacer as shown in the photos. I have shown the tool I used in the last photo. Basicly you just pull out the light bulb, trim the supplied bulb spacer to match the H-7 shape, attach the ballast as shown using velcro (industrial grade), Install the new bulb, plug in the new bulb, plug the ballast to the bikes original plug and tape in place to secure it. A few zip ties to keep it neat and it's time to put the dash back on.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Last edited by bobdavis73; 11-28-2006 at 11:18 PM.

"Although all men are born free, slavery has been the general lot of the human race. Ignorant - they have been cheated; asleep - they have been surprised; divided - the yoke has been forced upon them. But what is the lesson? ...the people ought to be enlightened, to be awakened, to be united, that after establishing a govenment they should watch over it.... It is universally admitted that a well-instructed people alone can be permanently free."
    --James Madison

I haven't followed the other thread...

What would you recommend if I commute out in the wayyy dark non-populated desert? Do you get 'brighted' a lot with the low beam conversion? AZ is a free range state and there have been now seven cows and a horse hit by vehicles since this summer on the road I take for the last 20 or so miles. Two fatalities and two serious injuries associated with the last sentence.
    AB the anti-post-whore
    '06 YZ450F

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive we tie a rope around their necks and hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours." - Sir Charles Napier

"Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - George Orwell

Bright but no good for fending off wild life

I think a cow catcher would be a better mod for those ! . JK

They are amazing. The photos are good for a comparison but they don't do the light justice. I currently have just the low beam and my high beams are now dissapointing. I have done a lot of night miles since the change and have had no flashes yet while using my low beam.

Bob
    Last edited by bobdavis73; 11-29-2006 at 03:20 PM.

--James Madison

So is this mod good for the Tuono too?
    "Tuono doesn't want to gently take your hand and guide you on a trip, it wants to rip it off and run away with it! I always get the feeling that to ride a Tuono you have to be a real man, prepared to fight it every step of the way, where as on the Triumph you can have an off day and not be left feeling inadequate"
    "Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic"

JOIN ME ONAND FOR SOCAL APRILIA GROUP RIDES & UPDATES FOLLOW ME ON

Have not heard to much about these Hid systems, but the photos look impressive, could be interested in a single for the low beam, what is the heat like off the globe though?
    will put a link on the falco forum, see if more there are interested

regarding sending international, know there's no problems to Australia and if you have a paypal account the money's easierly transfered

Have you seen a Futura with all three HID lights? And to echo a question from above, would there be a heat issue?
    AB the anti-post-whore
    '06 YZ450F

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive we tie a rope around their necks and hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours." - Sir Charles Napier

"Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - George Orwell

So is this mod good for the Tuono too?
    Of course. Don't know where you're going to put the ballast though. There is very little room in behind the Tuono's dash.

Bob, if you come up a few bulbs short to make it happen, count me in for 3 bulbs. I wouldn't know what kind of export law could hinder you but better ask before you loose your lovely ass. It looks even better in chaps as we all know full well.
    This Must Be The Place

How long does it take for the bulbs to warm up and would this be a problem for high beams? When I hit the high beam switch I want the lights on now.
    upload gambar
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 1000
    2002 Aprilia Futura - sold
    2014 Kawasaki 750 Brute Force

Quote Originally Posted by woodman
    How long does it take for the bulbs to warm up and would this be a problem for high beams? When I hit the high beam switch I want the lights on now.
    They won't be. It takes seconds for an HID bulb to reach full output, so the signalling or passing function of the HID hi-beam is mediocre at best.
    Rob - '01 Rosso Flame

"Riders Create More Problems Than Motorcycles Are Designed To Handle" - Keith Code

Count me in for 1 low beam please.

count me in for 1 bulb, low beam only

will send pm as well.
    01, Derestricted, Staintunes, H-Pipe, Helibars, Heated Grips, Ghost Fiber Hugger and Autocom

I believe that the Falcos take H7s all the way around. How does this kit work for that kinda application?
    Where da booty at?

Bob:
    Who makes the stuff? I see some German writing but who makes the ballast and bulb? Is the focal length optimized as an H7 replacement? Why not use a relay and a direct power line to the battery in the kit like most I've seen?

$90 is tremendous? Does that mean $45 for a single beam kit?
    Where da booty at?

FYI, I think the stuff labeled as Hella and Phillips is counterfeit. They do not sell non-OEM parts like that. The German look sells better. If it works, it works though...

Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast