PDA

View Full Version : Ground clearance issues

g-man
11-09-2006, 06:34 AM
Went for a quick blast this morning and had a bit of an issue. It's the 1st dry (but bloody cold) day i've had to get out on it since it's service.

Touched the pegs down. Not really a problem. But when i got back and looked at it. The bit of the peg that is meant to touch the ground has almost ripped itself out the threaded part in the actual peg.

Spoke the my dealer, who is saying that it's not covered under warranty. You would think the little metal extender bit would be softer metal than the peg itself and then you can replace them when they wear down. But it seems like the threaded hole in the actual peg is soft and when the extender bit touched down it bent and elongated the hole in the peg.

Hope this makes sence. Here's some pics to help. the extender bit is bent back.... but if you grab it, it will wiggle back and forth. If you pull up the rubber bit you can see the threaded hole is now oval and bent.

The only other reason i can see for it could be that the extender bit was slack in the 1st place. But i'm sure that should have been checked at PDI and when it was in for service???

Panda
11-09-2006, 07:24 AM
Thats going some! Still not upped your pre load then?
Check your PM's

g-man
11-09-2006, 07:32 AM
All i've done is clicked the rear shock up 2 clicks to stiffen it up a bit. On standard settings when it was banked right over powering through the faster stuff it would really start to waggle its ass. Felt kinda like a mini speed wobble. The 2 clicks seem to have calmed it down a bit.... it still does it slightly, but nowhere near as bad as it used to.

Thought hardening up the rear would help with the wheelies too. Still cant get any decent ones nailed. :(

g-man
11-10-2006, 04:55 AM
Had a bit of a debate with the dealers. Checked the left one with a spanner and found it was slack, so i'm assuming the right one has been slack all along and that is whats caused this to happen.

The dealer fitted a replacement complete right peg from their demo bike, good enough for me.

Might be something for everyone to watch out for though. I'm sure mine wont be the only bike out there with these slack.

Cheers

Panda
11-10-2006, 08:16 AM
Mines are fine, but the left one is missing from our demo bike!

Strada_photos
11-10-2006, 01:03 PM
Looks like you've still got a bit of tyre left on the edge so will go over a bit further. I usually angle my foot out so the boot scuff block touches first. I would suggest you take off the 'hero blobs' and just use the foot rest. It will take ages to wear badly enough to matter, plus the peg is less likely to dig in. Must admit that I have had mine over as far (same tyre witness mark) and haven't touched the pegs down. Cheers.

g-man
11-12-2006, 05:54 PM
:rolleyes: This isn't in any way intended as a dick waving contest.

This thread is intended as a warning to make sure they're tight. Seeing as mine were slack and one is actually missing from Panda's demo, then that would suggest Aprilia are sending them out slack.