PDA

View Full Version : Hello, new guy here jazzed re:750 Tuono someday

jab
10-23-2006, 11:54 PM
Hey Tuono riders, I rushed to register on this forum and realize I may be a bit too green (novice) for joining an Aprilia forum backed by AF1 Racing but here it goes.

Dang I just deleted three paragraphs of crap about me to spare you folks; in brief here's what I'm interested in: when/if it makes it USA; 750 Tuono. Tripped on brief statement from MaxMoto in the UK.

I've got two years/38k miles of riding a Ducati ST3 stock (sport-touring). I get off on riding in the mountain twisties or foothills all day long, typically 10+ hours a day. But I travel light, don't want the bags on and thinking of changing type of bike, although the ST is a great tool for the time I spend in the saddle. I've just had a change in heart that smaller, ligher bike would be better to progress from where my current skills are today.

Or B) I'm simply talking myself into trying out a different type of bike. Ideally I'd keep the ST3 and add a stud to the stable. There we go, that's the ticket.

What is the maintenance schedule for tune-ups on say the Tuono 1000/750 to be? every 12k or 24k?

Is getting parts for Aprilia problematic?

As much as I'd like the 1000 Factory, it's no doubt more bike than I could utilize fully therefore the 750 sounded very apealing. Plus if the hype is correct it will have lower seating stance which I believe is important for a novice like me to have going for me (COG) add to that the ideal bar postion/leverage.

I fooled myself getting a Ducati with my meager means not fully knowing I'd rack up big miles in short time frames hence $800. service fees way to often.

Will the price of admission to the Aprilia world be close to that of Ducati??

The little I know, I do know I love the twin, as I'm not a high speed rider the twisties on a bike with high performance parts makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any input.

p.s. FYI my ST3 has been trouble free, reliable, and all day egonomics; why I'm thinking of replacing it? oh yeah lighter, more flickable bike. Truth be told the only thing really needing changing is my riding skills. There Guilty as stands!

jab (Jim)

Beau1K
10-24-2006, 12:30 AM
Get a used Tuono IMMEDIATELY :happy: All the power is useable! That's the best part!!! The torque is fantastic...the bike eats up the twisties...you CAN'T go wrong. Cheaper to own than Ducati. More prestegious:happy: Check the for sale section ASAP!

Imagine tearing up the 9 on a Tuono...oh ya...just did that 2 weeks ago :happy:

AZRen
10-24-2006, 01:35 AM
Jim, welcome to the forum. You'll hear the term "bullet proof" thrown around a lot on the Rotax engine. It truely is fantastic. The Tuono is a twisty machine for sure if that's what your looking for. Unfortunately, it sounds like the 750 would not be here until 08 at the earliest if it becomes a US bike at all. It also looks like we won't be getting any significant updates to the current Tuono 1000 until the same time period. So unless you planning on a possibly long fruitless wait I'd grab up an 07 T NOW. It's a proven engine and chassis that can be made even better with minimal investment.

TUONOAPE
10-24-2006, 03:26 AM
you sound like a really sane sort of person, so like the other guys, I wouldn't hesitate recommending the tuono to you, but the S4RS is a great bike and if you love twins then that's the ticket :) .

(now, just disregard everything I said about the duc - that's just to shut up those nobs that are talking crap about ducs on an ape forum! Don't wait, if you're as realistic about your riding skills/level etc as you say, then no bike, even the tuono, will get you into trouble with that much common sense, and you'll get much much enjoyment from a tuono doing the type of riding you talk about. And the tuono will make you a better rider than you really are, there is no other equal at the moment).

DRADE
10-24-2006, 04:47 AM
you sound like a really sane sort of person, so like the other guys, I wouldn't hesitate recommending the tuono to you, but the S4RS is a great bike and if you love twins then that's the ticket :) .

(now, just disregard everything I said about the duc - that's just to shut up those nobs that are talking crap about ducs on an ape forum! Don't wait, if you're as realistic about your riding skills/level etc as you say, then no bike, even the tuono, will get you into trouble with that much common sense, and you'll get much much enjoyment from a tuono doing the type of riding you talk about. And the tuono will make you a better rider than you really are, there is no other equal at the moment).

for a minute you had me going... and I was thinking :WTF:

splatty
10-24-2006, 04:55 AM
Jab

I jumped on a TuonoR after ten years out of the saddle. I too am a sane kind of guy and took it real easy at first.

She just eggs you on though and after a few months I am now climbing all over the Jap guys through the twisties. The look on their faces is priceless when they see you sat upright on a naked, full of torquey power, hussling them without the neck/back/wrist ache :)

YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPONITED.......PERIOD :worship:

caustis
10-24-2006, 08:12 AM
At 2 yrs and 38k! miles, I would hardly describe you as a novice. I guess I'm about the most ineperienced rider in this forum (I got my Tuono 5 months after getting my licence - that's the advantage of being a 'mature' rider, and so qualifying for an unrestricted licence). I love it, and it's not necessary to ride it at the edge of the envelope all the time. My mates may get 5 minutes ahead of me, but so what? I'm having a hoot, and after an hour or so, I'll sail past them grinning, as they try to unkink their backs on their R1's and Fireblades.
Maybe the worst feature (and to me, there are few) is the seat, which is like sitting on a plank, but I'm getting used to it. There is a Corbin seat now available, or if it bothered you, you could get a motor trimmer to re-pack it.
Ducati-wise, in Aust, the price is about the same as a Multistrada DS. Tried one of them once, but not for me. As a short-ass who'se flexibility is nothing like it was a few years ago, It was a major effort just getting on the thing, and I found it a much more difficult bike to ride. the Tuono is by comparison a snack.

splatty
10-24-2006, 08:45 AM
It's a bit like mountain bike riding mate.

Hurts your ass like hell at first, but once you get used to it, you don't even notice that the seat is harder than a Gurkha on acid. :)

jab
10-24-2006, 03:26 PM
Hey I appreciate all the input given so far. I'll have more detailed questions after I spend more time viewing this and perhaps other forums.

I've already convinced myself that I must try owning a Tuono. Lack of m/c funds currently has the front tire howling (stoppie) if you will. But once I either promote at current job or nail down a second job my focus will be either to "try" to sell the ST3 and pay off the loan then jump in the deep end and secure a Tuono. Got to 51 yrs old and ain't gettin any younger.

So in summary to input so far:

don't think I care to wait 2yrs for the 750, in the mean time 1000 Factory will do.

I doubt I need all the good upgrades (suspension?, wheels?) of the R or would I be wise to seek out the R (even if I'm not worthy as a skilled enough rider?).

Example: with my stock ST3 I started wondering if the upgraded suspension of the ST4s would help aid me in learning to master corners, safer and with confidence due to better componets. I understand and am fine with "riding around" inferior this and that. That the bottom line is a good rider makes the real difference not the parts. But is there something to working with upgraded componets even if one can't fully use them to their near potential?

Rotax is a good engine? What are the service intervals, every 12k or 24k?

Keeping in mind the use of this machine in my case will be 99% street use, and I haven't mastered cornering by a long shot and I am thinking of buying a used bike; which model year has the least problems or has the best reputation?

Question re: seat height, is the COG being higher than what they plan on doing to the upcoming 750 (I read seating will be 15mm lower for better COG) I like that idea but will I notice feeling like I'm sitting on top rather than "in" on the past Tuono's?

I'll stop here as I know new comers (me) can be a real pita with all the questions that have been already addressed.

Re: me classifing myself as novice status w/38k! yeah I wonder myself even out loud how can one spend that much time and not clue in. It's either my eye/brain comprehension isn't quick enough or maybe subconscienciously there's not enough confidence due to prior 2x low siding or I simply need to get instruction on the track to break thru whatever barrier is holding me up.

I don't consider myself a complete wuss, somewhat athletic, think maybe just because I know I can't afford to repair bike if crashed that may hold me back too. I have Vanson supermoto j/p , ok boots, and OGK helmet, my $180 gloves are decaying though. I want to upgrade to better 1pc leathers then I feel even better should I low side again.

Enough of me.

Thanks again for passing on your experiences.

jab 04 ST3 wanna be: jab Tuono

mikeyyc
10-24-2006, 03:52 PM
I doubt I need all the good upgrades (suspension?, wheels?) of the R or would I be wise to seek out the R (even if I'm not worthy as a skilled enough rider?).

Rotax is a good engine? What are the service intervals, every 12k or 24k?

jab 04 ST3 wanna be: jab Tuono

Upgraded suspension makes for more adjustability, and better handling overall, when properly adjusted. Infinite adjustments also equal infinite wrong set-ups

Rotax is phenominal, and really is nearly bulletproof. They call for valve inspection every 10K, but I haven't heard of one needing adjustment yet. The engine is essentially the same through the entire 1000 line, just varying states of tune. Rock solid, no real issues once you get around the emissions friendly mapping.

03-05 Tuonos are all identical except for colors, 03 Racing and 04-05 Factory are the same except the Racing came with lots of extra bits.

There is no 06 in N.A. only in the rest of the world. 06 everywhere=07 USA/Canada.

Mike

AZRen
10-24-2006, 06:16 PM

Jim, I believe whenever you get into anything you should always have the best equipment you can afford. The R is the standard. The Factory has all the bling parts. Sure a guy with no skills (not saying you) may look silly on Factory but is it going to hurt your ability to learn anymore than an R? No! I think at 38k miles your probably equiped to handle just about any bike you choose. No reason to battle the inadquacies of a lesser machine. Now I'm not saying a newby should jump on some high spec, high hp machine. I'm just saying between the Tuono R and Tuono Factory, the Factory if you can afford it, has all the right parts in all the right places. Just not the right colors in all the right places. :)

jab
10-24-2006, 07:03 PM
Jim, I believe whever you get into anything you should always have the best equipment you can afford. The R is the standard. The Factory has all the bling parts. Sure a guy with no skills (not saying you) may look silly on Factory but is it going to hurt your ability to learn anymore than an R? No! I think at 38k miles your probably equiped to handle just about any bike you choose. No reason to battle the inadquacies of a lesser machine. Now I'm not saying a newby should jump on some high spec, high hp machine. I'm just saying between the Tuono R and Tuono Factory, the Factory if you can afford it, has all the right parts in all the right places. Just not the right colors in all the right places. :)

oops I got it wrong assuming R=racing and the Factory=Standard. So thanks for clearing that up.

I'm with ya going for best one can afford, same with gear, I just as anxious to upgrade gear as bike.

Seeing as at some point here I intend to search for a used T, I imagine buying used I might afford all the good stuff the Factory affords.

Appreciate your opinions AZREN. Man the hook is set; all I think about is owning Tuono or will the Tuono own me (as I'm already possessed by it) just from reading literature about it.

Nothing will happen until I find extra income. Stay tuned!!

Beau1K
10-24-2006, 07:05 PM
Nothing will happen until I find extra income. Stay tuned!!

Well...it won't find you, so get out there and EARN your ride!!!!!:happy: :cheers:

jab
10-24-2006, 07:40 PM
Upgraded suspension makes for more adjustability, and better handling overall, when properly adjusted. Infinite adjustments also equal infinite wrong set-ups

Rotax is phenominal, and really is nearly bulletproof. They call for valve inspection every 10K, but I haven't heard of one needing adjustment yet. The engine is essentially the same through the entire 1000 line, just varying states of tune. Rock solid, no real issues once you get around the emissions friendly mapping.

03-05 Tuonos are all identical except for colors, 03 Racing and 04-05 Factory are the same except the Racing came with lots of extra bits.

There is no 06 in N.A. only in the rest of the world. 06 everywhere=07 USA/Canada.

Mike

Great to hear Rotax is a tough build, just what I need. My Ducati ST3 (first year for the 3 valve) seems to be a good reliable engine, it's just to date there's no aftermarket timing/cam belts so OEM are $150. every 12k (that's a rear tyre for a poor guy like me) and of course should a belt fail you got bent valves etc...damage.

I've read that Mike: (more suspension adj can just cause more problems) heard even changing tyre brands can alter feel, so once dialed-in stay true to tyres that work for ya. Probably applies more to track days than street riding huh?

I wish I could say I'm more involved with the workings of a bike but truth is right now anyway I'm the guy who will seek out someone knowledgable, try to get things set-up right and then ride the damn thing.

I just can't stop thinking of the Tuono, all consuming, too bad there's not $$ in the till, dang (I'm impatient). I'm sold, just need a 2nd job and a buyer for the ST3.

Another important question I may post on it's own or do a search first on would be: In northern CA who's does good mechanical work on Tuono's? Dealership and or independant shops?

I'll spend some time lurking here and soak up already given info on things Aprilia especially the "T"!

Appreciate the input Mike.

jab

jab
10-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Well...it won't find you, so get out there and EARN your ride!!!!!:happy: :cheers:

That's want I need Beau1k...motivational reality pep talks, real world slap in the face to wake up from this wet dream of Tuono love. Tuono doesn't even know I exist w/o cash in hand.

I'm to meet/assist this friend of friend this weekend, who has his own carpet cleaning business. I'll be doing my best to convince him he needs to hire me for weekend work. And here at work there may be some promotional openings any time now I'll apply for. Wonder if the sperm banks pay's anything for old man's man juice?? ah Tuono love it's got a hold on me!

Ok back to work now....

Ciao jab

AZRen
10-24-2006, 07:54 PM
jab, just prostitute yourself for a week or so. It will be worth it. :)

I don't know who's up north but Spectrum Motorsports in Irvine will be worth the drive.

Beau1K
10-24-2006, 08:01 PM
There is a really good dealer in NorCal...Scuderia West in San Francisco. :cheers:

http://www.scuderiawest.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

caustis
10-24-2006, 08:10 PM
Couple of things:
Service interval; first at 1000km, then every 12,000. For mechanical dunces like me, it may be worthwhile getting them to do a 6000km service as well, then every 12000.

The seat height at 810mm is OK, but feels a little higher than that, because it is so wide and relatively rigid. I can get the balls of both feet on the ground OK (5ft 8, 171cm)

Maxacceleration
10-24-2006, 08:11 PM
Another important question I may post on it's own or do a search first on would be: In northern CA who's does good mechanical work on Tuono's? Dealership and or independant shops?
jab

Try looking at Moto Meccanica in Santa Rosa(Petaluma Hill Rd.). They took care of me on a visit through town. They sell Aprilia, Ducati and Triumph!
Make sure you take a look at the service mangers hillclimb Ducati!!
With nitrous!

jab
10-24-2006, 08:16 PM
At 2 yrs and 38k! miles, I would hardly describe you as a novice. I guess I'm about the most ineperienced rider in this forum (I got my Tuono 5 months after getting my licence - that's the advantage of being a 'mature' rider, and so qualifying for an unrestricted licence). I love it, and it's not necessary to ride it at the edge of the envelope all the time. My mates may get 5 minutes ahead of me, but so what? I'm having a hoot, and after an hour or so, I'll sail past them grinning, as they try to unkink their backs on their R1's and Fireblades.
Maybe the worst feature (and to me, there are few) is the seat, which is like sitting on a plank, but I'm getting used to it. There is a Corbin seat now available, or if it bothered you, you could get a motor trimmer to re-pack it.
Ducati-wise, in Aust, the price is about the same as a Multistrada DS. Tried one of them once, but not for me. As a short-ass who'se flexibility is nothing like it was a few years ago, It was a major effort just getting on the thing, and I found it a much more difficult bike to ride. the Tuono is by comparison a snack.

Thanks, yeah after my second low-side I started inquiring about trading my ST3 for say the 620 Mutistrada (even though I'd wanted the 1000s) but dealers weren't interested in taking in a "crashed" bike. But now because of the miles I pile on so frequently and my m/c limited budget I need to find an engine that doesn't need looking after so often. I'm convinced the Tuono offers all and more of what would thrill the heck out-of-me, no doubt about it!

I'm lucky my body handles long hours in the saddle quite well, even though I let my body get out of top condition. Well I shouldn't boost to much here w/o first riding the Tuono for 1k or so. But I'm betting I'll dig it.

And now I'm reconsidering that these long rides I take flight on may not be giving me the most bang for the buck if you will. Maybe trying to break up these marathon weekend runs into say 2 hr slots, rest a bit, then go for it again. Perhaps shorter rides will increase the quality of gaining improvement in cornering. Who know's I just love to ride.

Cheers and thanks!

jab
10-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Try looking at Moto Meccanica in Santa Rosa(Petaluma Hill Rd.). They took care of me on a visit through town. They sell Aprilia, Ducati and Triumph!
Make sure you take a look at the service mangers hillclimb Ducati!!
With nitrous!

Will do. I did see someone the ducati forum that built a hillclimber will the 916 engine.

I know a guy who lives in Santa Rosa, rides a 999R Fila, bet he knows of Moto Meccanica reputation. Thanks for that.

Think maybe I'll knock my own front tooth out, put under my pillow and wish for Moto Meccanica to take the ST3 in on trade for a Tuono and be done with bothering you good people about Tuono's. That's plan Z

Grazie! jab

Beau1K
10-24-2006, 08:31 PM
at work there may be some promotional openings any time now I'll apply for

Don't WAIT for it to happen - MAKE IT HAPPEN :cheers:

Go ASK for a raise/promotion! Take charge!!:)

jab
10-24-2006, 08:41 PM

I don't know who's up north but Spectrum Motorsports in Irvine will be worth the drive.

AZRen; if only I could speak several languages, incl. english and keep the drool to a miniumn I'd give it go, just need to find that wealthly woman who adores her man on the side permantently mounted to the "T"! yeah that's the ticket.

ah ok, I've heard some of these dealerships mentioned over at the ducati site.

You know I forgot, I plan on letting Nichols Sport Bike in Milpitas, SJ know of my latest passion ride (hey a new name of a smoothie flavor) that's gotta be worth something??

Anyway Jim Davis shop mgr at Nichols has a good reputation (I've been going there since 6k on the Ducati) they work on a varitey of bikes, mostly ducs, mv's, but I'll bet Aprilia is no stranger to his shop as he gets plenty of track/maybe racer bikes in for service. ok good

jab
10-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Couple of things:
Service interval; first at 1000km, then every 12,000. For mechanical dunces like me, it may be worthwhile getting them to do a 6000km service as well, then every 12000.

The seat height at 810mm is OK, but feels a little higher than that, because it is so wide and relatively rigid. I can get the balls of both feet on the ground OK (5ft 8, 171cm)

As much as I'd like another new bike I'm thinking used here (ya see I got this wife & kid who been pretty good about seeing $1000 missing here and there every so (to) often) she'll give hell about taking a big hit selling the duc for a big loss plus there this loan...but I will prevail as my time here on earth seems to pass on by faster and faster (no pun intended w/regards to the motogp dvd "Faster and Faster").

so I haven't even looked in the classifies yet but hoped I might luck out and find one for sale when I'm cash in hand, one with low miles. All that new service stuff out of the way and I'll just do the 12,000. Embarssed I'm not euro/metric savy, I gotta look up the conversation of km to miles.

I'm 5'11" (nearly six foot) that's six foot tall not six feet, never mind. So yeah sitting should be fine for me, think my ST3 is 32 inches?

Hey MotoGP Sunday,should be a great race in Spain no! si!! ah Spain, I must also work towards getting around to experiencing that country, as soon as I master better corner speed/handling techniques!! Ciao

jab
10-24-2006, 09:14 PM

Right on TUONOAPE, what I wanted to hear! I was guessing the positioning of the T just has to encourage better or great riding. Fantastic! SOLD!! to the gentleman scratching his head with the empty pockets (hey that's me!). Grazie

jab
10-25-2006, 12:32 AM
I looked in the gallery, I liked what I saw. me thinks T06's would work just fine and then some!

T06
10-25-2006, 01:57 AM
As the manual:- 1000, 5000, 10'000 & then every 10'000k after that. Aprilia Aust. has sent me an email the same. Page 59 in the back of the manual.

jab
10-25-2006, 02:23 PM
As the manual:- 1000, 5000, 10'000 & then every 10'000k after that. Aprilia Aust. has sent me an email the same. Page 59 in the back of the manual.

Ok then every 10,000 miles if one goes by recommended schedule.

Ducati is saying on some of the new 2007 models maintenance is being reduced; don't quote this but think it's now like every 7,500 miles (vs 6,000) for the mini interval service and sorry forgot what the big 12k service will now be (14k?). I'll re-post when I find it. More interested in Aprilia these days and nights.

Thanks for the info T06.

jab
10-25-2006, 02:34 PM
In rushing to ask newbie questions I didn't clue in that the forum has broken down catagories of Aprilia's.

Being as I may end up someday with a used T I should have posted up in the 02--05 Tuono catagory. Sorry about that. Guess it's all good, you guys most likely bought newer Tuono's as time pasted by.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate these forums as real world resources. Thank you all for answering my questions.

Grazie! Go Go MotoGP!! Sunday 12:30 pm pacific time USA