PDA

View Full Version : Tuono is almost done

cornercarver
09-14-2003, 10:03 PM
I'm finally running out of things I plan to do to the Tuono.

So far...

evo race airbox
Factory Pro chip
Penske 3-way rear shock
Ohlins valve kit in forks
Silver OZ wheels
Acculign rearsets
Galfer wave rotors on front
Ferodo pads
Stealth 44T sprocket
Sargent seat
Scorpio alarm with pager and immobilizer
MUCH smaller turn signals (I don't like the evo integrators)

Things left to do include install galfer wave rotor on rear when it finally arrives, bar end mirrors, probably from skyking products, since I liked those my speed triple quite a bit, and Mike's radiator grills. After that, there will be nothing left to do unless I feel like getting big pistons. You cold climate folks have it easy, in some regards, since you have an off season during which you can get work done. I've been trying to send my leathers in for repairs for months, but finding 6 weeks when I don't want to have my leathers around is tough! Same goes for the motor.

Pics attached

cornercarver
09-14-2003, 10:04 PM
More pics

cornercarver
09-14-2003, 10:05 PM
small signals at rear

cornercarver
09-14-2003, 10:06 PM
An dhte other side.

Jony2Stones
09-14-2003, 10:25 PM
Looks GOOD!

How do you like the rims.....did they make a big difference??

cornercarver
09-15-2003, 12:29 AM
I've only ripped around own in SF on them, sof far, so it is hard to say. Suspsension seems to be noticeably plusher (less unsprung weight) and it seems to wheely easier, but it was never terribly hard to get up to begin with.

--sam

Ricky J
09-15-2003, 12:41 AM
...see Good!

clarkie49
09-15-2003, 01:57 AM
now you need a motor :D :D :D

jster171
09-15-2003, 09:35 AM
I have a pitbull front stand as well but have never used it. Did you remove the plastic "plate" from under the upper fairing to give you access to the "hole"???

cornercarver
09-15-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by jster171
I have a pitbull front stand as well but have never used it. Did you remove the plastic "plate" from under the upper fairing to give you access to the "hole"???

I just dremeled a hole where I needed it. You actually need to drill the black plastic plat that sits under the triple clamps AND dremel a gap in the plastic cover over the horn, which interferes with the arm that protrudes past the pin.

One thing to note... There is considerably less room between the cockpit and the front fender than on a Mille. It is actually NOT possible to get the arm between them without rubbing the fender. It doesn't rub hard, but it does rub. I just put some 3M clear plastic tape stuff at the rub spot and haven't had any problems.

--sam

cornercarver
09-15-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by clarkie49
now you need a motor :D :D :D

I don't know about that. It isn't as though I'm being passed much at track days. Besides, I know that I've got a ways to go before I start outriding this motor. The day I turn a 2 minute lap at Thunderhill is the day I start looking for more motor.

Besides, you're just too damn far away, Clarkie, and we don't havce an off season out here. I'd probably talk to Apex Molester about who did his, since his down time was about time it would take to send a motor to the east coast and back, without actually doing any work on it.

--sam

ApexMolester
09-15-2003, 11:56 AM
looks awesome, kill the passenger seat to seal the deal (03 rsvr cowl)!

front stand,

did you cut a hole in the plastic for the front stand's mounting post or removed it all to gether? i use my lower fork tube stand, and it is tough to get it up without slipping out on the first few attemps.

front brakes,

do you feel the pulse from the rotors during use?

jster171
09-15-2003, 11:59 AM
So your saying that a 2003 RSV rear cowl will match up perfectly?? Color as well??

cornercarver
09-15-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by ApexMolester
looks awesome, kill the passenger seat to seal the deal (03 rsvr cowl)!

front stand,

did you cut a hole in the plastic for the front stand's mounting post or removed it all to gether? i use my lower fork tube stand, and it is tough to get it up without slipping out on the first few attemps.

front brakes,

do you feel the pulse from the rotors during use?

I don't like the rear cowl on the '03 bikes. It looks like someone shrak it in the dryer. It just doesn't seem to fit right, to my eye. I also don't feel like dealing with getting it painted, since the color doesn't work at all. I know, I've tried it at my shop. In general, I am all about the functionality of the bike. Frequent track days tends to leave them all looking the worse for wear, so I don't tend to spend much time buying pretty parts, unless they also serve a functional purpose.

As for the rotors, no, you don't feel them pulsing at all, until you get down to about 3-5mph. Then you feel it, but only for the fraction of a second before you actually stop. What you do notice is that the rotors rattle on the buttons, they float so well. At any speed less than 20-30mph, you can hear them rattling UNTIL you apply the brakes, of course. I didn't notice it with the EBC HH pads on my Mille, probably because there was SO much drag with those pads, but the Ferodo pads are much better about that and I definitely hear it. It isn't a nuisance once you get used to it. At first, it sounds like something is broken.

Incidentally, I did cut a hole, rather than remove the piece altogether. I ride in the rain and didn't want to take the chance that I'd have a constant stream of water coming up into my face from between the fork legs.

--sam

clarkie49
09-15-2003, 12:20 PM
sam,

i'm not saying i would need to do it (of corse i would like to) but you have seen apexmolester's thoughts....i know...he knows....and hell, who cares if you need the extra power once you sample it you wont regret it.

besides, $2000 parts and labor and only down for a week...

clarkie

cornercarver
09-15-2003, 12:28 PM
besides, $2000 parts and labor and only down for a week...

clarkie [/B]

Sounds like 8 track days to me :D

--sam

ApexMolester
09-15-2003, 12:45 PM
it pulls like nothing else.

however, i've found out that i can hit the rev-limiter in 3rd while on a power wheelie. feels funny to loose the power with front some 1-2ft off the ground.

jster

03 cowl attaches without issue and is semi-gloss black.

IMO
i looks bitch'n on grey one (see my zero gravity post for pics).

clarkie49
09-15-2003, 12:45 PM
yeah :D but how much did you spend on the mods so far:

evo race airbox
Factory Pro chip
Penske 3-way rear shock
Silver OZ wheels
Acculign rearsets
Ferodo pads
Stealth 44T sprocket
Sargent seat
MUCH smaller turn signals

looks like about 12 trackdays so far :D :D :D

clarkie

cornercarver
09-15-2003, 01:47 PM
yeah :D but how much did you spend on the mods so far:

evo race airbox
Factory Pro chip
Penske 3-way rear shock
Silver OZ wheels
Acculign rearsets
Ferodo pads
Stealth 44T sprocket
Sargent seat
MUCH smaller turn signals

looks like about 12 trackdays so far :D :D :D

clarkie

Yes, but with the exception of the airbox and chip, every single one of those changes had a distinct impact on lap times (or was a necessity for street riding - seat, alarm, etc), as they dramatically affect the handling of the bike. Adding power doesn't really do much to my times, since it isn't as though I am exiting turns with the back end sliding on the power, so I don't need any extra torque there, and getting up the straight that little bit faster just doesn't have as dramatic an effect on my laptimes as carrying more corner speed, so I prefer to spend my money there. As for the airbox, I did that cause it is cheap horsepower, and I bought the chip cause I wanted the ability to roll the throttle on smoothly from off-throttle in the turns and the ability to drop under 4K without feeling like I'm lugging the motor on the street. The FP chip gives me both those things.

--sam

09-15-2003, 03:05 PM
cornercarver,

What was your reason for changing the seat?

Does it lower the seat height or otherwise change seat position?

Other benefits?

Michael

cornercarver
09-15-2003, 03:27 PM
Other benefits?

Yeah, I can sit on it for more than 90 minutes at a time. I tend to ride for 8 or more hours a day when I go for a ride, and the stocker just didn't allow that.

--sam

clarkie49
09-15-2003, 04:36 PM
oh come on sam! :D

are you telling me that 10hp and 10ft-lbs wouldnt make you go faster around the track? :D

i know you are smart enough to do the rights mods as like you said every mod you have done was for the right reason :D

even if you didnt want to go much faster a given lap time around the track would be a lot easier to achieve with mo power.

:D :D :D
clarkie

cornercarver
09-15-2003, 05:22 PM
oh come on sam! :D

are you telling me that 10hp and 10ft-lbs wouldnt make you go faster around the track? :D

clarkie

Yes, I am telling you that. In point of fact, I go faster on my GSXR600, which doesn't make as much power as my Tuono. I've traded in bikes on faster bikes in the past, thinking I could shave a couple of seconds and never failed to find out that it is the rider, not the bike. Last one was trading an '01 Triumph Speed Triple (with clipons, rearsets, race tech suspension front and rear, pipe and map) for an '02 Mille (That's about 20 bhp and a MUCH better chassis). Surprise surprise, laptimes were initially slower and as I got accustomed to the bike, times went back to where they used to be.

Riders who are held back by their bike definitely go faster with more power, the vast majority of us are merely holding the bike back. Even my chassis mods only really give me improvements because they affect my mental confidence to push a little harder. I still see Mille's with less trick setups going faster than me, although their numbers are getting smaller.

I should point out here that while I am not in the slow group, I am certainly not one of the fastest guys out there. I'm usually mid pack in the fastest group at most of the track days I do. I figure that puts me at about the 75th percentile. I could push harder, but I've noticed that the guys who really push their abilities pay for it by crashing a lot. They make fast progress, but it is expensive. I plod along and let my skills slowly improve before pushing to the next level. It has taken me a long time to break 2:10s at T-hill, but I've only crashed once and it was utterly minor, not costing me more than some harline scratches on the right side bodywork. More importantly, I ride very deliberately. I'm rarely caught out by unexpected events and I'm always 100% in control of the bike, which is more than I can say about most of the people I see at the track, fast guys included. It's also why I don't race. You can't win races without letting it hang out a bit. I have utmost respect for those of you who can do it, but I work too hard to pay for my bikes to be willing to risk it racing, even my track bike.

--sam

Ricky J
09-15-2003, 06:26 PM
Regardless of power output Sam's got a sweet rig. One of the sad things about the racers I know personally is that they've mostly crashed themselves into the poorhouse where they aren't able to compete anymore and cannot even afford streetbikes. That's like *NO RIDING*. They are always ready and willing to ride my bikes however! Unfortunately I always seem to have things to do those days, like laundry and grocery shopping, etcetera.

ApexMolester
09-15-2003, 07:25 PM
could not use all the the stock hp of the tuono on the street, however i have 2 track days at the hill at the end of the month..........

after hitting the rev limiter yesterday in 3rd for a 5th time, me thinks i'm riding the bike better and to its max limits.

it feels good, da nana nana na!

cornercarver
09-15-2003, 08:02 PM
after hitting the rev limiter yesterday in 3rd for a 5th time, me thinks i'm riding the bike better and to its max limits.

Or you're just not shifting early enough or your gearing is all wrong or both :D :D :D

--sam

BigGlen
09-15-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by ApexMolester

try up-shifting. :D:D

Jony2Stones
09-15-2003, 08:12 PM
try up-shifting.

That's what the rev-limiter is for....shift reminder...:D

BigGlen
09-15-2003, 08:23 PM
I just re-programmed my light to a measily 7500. I just barely got 590mi on my Tuono.

Im dying here! it rained all weekend long and tonight too.

I cant wait to rev the piss outta that twin!

clarkie49
09-15-2003, 08:43 PM
i agree with you about going faster on your 600 but remember the tuono is far from a track bike unless you change the geometry a shitload.

the rear wheel weight distribution is so great that you dont get enough weight on the front end, i dropped the 'clarkie 3 lines for the track and still wasnt getting the front tire all the way to the edge.

i agree that you may not go faster than your 600, you will definitely go faster than your would on the current motor.....and just think about how much better it would be back on the street.

i am not trying to sell you a motor, more the idea of what your 'streetfighter' would be like with more power :D :D

i think you and apexmolester should meet up and trade bikes for 5 miles and then let us all know what you think of a 130hp tuono

clarkie:D :D :D

ApexMolester
09-15-2003, 10:39 PM
i'm just getting used to the new power, and when i exit a corner on hw25; i put the power dOWN!

my shift setting is at 8.5k, when i see the red go'n-oFF in my lower right view.........well, by the time i move my eyes to see (if its even safe to look dOWN!) the tach....it's on 10k and dropping cuz i letoff after loss of power.

well, this thing F_ing pulls, and pulls, and pulls to the point you say,

"WTF, is it ever going to end!?!"

nope, so you just keep going.............until she don't go no'mo.

my guess, in 3rd, wfo untill r-limmit = 120+/- a few, while on a wheelie, maybe a foot off the road bead and F_ing look'n down at your dash. you dumbass

and my fellow modsters, that's how you find out what it gots

cornercarver
09-16-2003, 12:33 PM
i agree with you about going faster on your 600 but remember the tuono is far from a track bike unless you change the geometry a shitload.

the rear wheel weight distribution is so great that you dont get enough weight on the front end, i dropped the 'clarkie 3 lines for the track and still wasnt getting the front tire all the way to the edge.

i agree that you may not go faster than your 600, you will definitely go faster than your would on the current motor.....and just think about how much better it would be back on the street.

i am not trying to sell you a motor, more the idea of what your 'streetfighter' would be like with more power :D :D

i think you and apexmolester should meet up and trade bikes for 5 miles and then let us all know what you think of a 130hp tuono

clarkie:D :D :D

The instant ApexMolester offers me a test ride, I'll be all over it. However, my comparison to the 600 was actually between my '02 Mille R and the GSXR600, not the Tuono, and I like to think that the Mille R geometry was plenty comparable to the gixxer. I just find the Mille package to be harder to get low track times out of. You have to consciously use every advantage tyhat the twin gives you, due to the higher weight and slightly slower handling compared to the 600, and my 600 was the AFM #1 plate bike last year (not under me, needless to say) so it is making a bit more power than stock. Actually, I haven't been on a track that I have times for on the Tuono just yet, but the feeling I get is that I am actually running faster on the Tuono than I was on the Mille. Yes, I did have to make similar changes to the geometry, in order to get it working (2 lines extra in front plus some height at the rear Penske). I put that down to the fact that I started riding on standards and maybe still feel more comfortable in that position. I have woodcraft clipons I am going to try at my next track day and see what a difference it makes.

--sam

clarkie49
09-16-2003, 12:45 PM
sorry sam, i was getting confused, you have just had too many bikes for me to keep up:D

i still agree about the 600 lap times though, there really arent many track in the country where at club level a 600 isnt the fastest bike on the track, especially one that has been played with :D

clarkie

cornercarver
09-16-2003, 01:15 PM
sorry sam, i was getting confused, you have just had too many bikes for me to keep up:D

i still agree about the 600 lap times though, there really arent many track in the country where at club level a 600 isnt the fastest bike on the track, especially one that has been played with :D

clarkie

And I'm sure that the large pistons is a great (and fun!) mod. It is just a matter of picking the most bang for the buck (pun not intended). If I spend all my money on the bike, I can't afford the track, which is where I'd most enjoy it. My biggest problem is paying for my wedding and honeymoon next May, which has already caused me to cancel almost every track day I had booked for the season. This, by the way, is absolute proof that I love this woman. Heck, I could have bought a bike for what I spent on that ring alone!!! I only managed the many mods to the Tuono because the Mille was stolen, I was reimbursed, and then the Mille was recovered, but totalled. I just took all my Mille upgrades and dropped it on the Tuono, then spent some of the extra cash from the insurance payout (my dealer was VERY generous with the price on my Tuono, since it was a replacement for stolen bike and I was his best customer last year!) on wheels.

Next year, I'll hopefully be back at the track with more regularity, and then pistons might be in order. As it is, one of my best riding buddies recently bought a GSXR 1000 and it bugs me that he can just walk away from me on any straight stretch of road once we're into 3rd gear.

--sam

cornercarver
09-16-2003, 01:18 PM
Incidentally, just to make you all jealous, we're spending one week of our honeymoon riding through the Pyrenees in spain and then shooting down to Jerez for motoGP madness. She's in charge of the other week, so I suspect we'll be doing regular touristy stuff in Paris, one of my least favourite cities, but she's never been and is obsessed with the place.

--sam

ApexMolester
09-16-2003, 03:51 PM
i know the feeling, and it will be 10yrs next month for me (a big ONE in her book).

she got some clear rocks set in white gold for the finger and neck-line in april.....................me get tuono in april for my birthday.

sam,

we will run into each other again, and you can ride the beast then. 2 more track days, and that it for a long while.

after that, just some 300milers a few time a month. mrs. apex's dirt bike is getting rode twice a month now (crf230 honda w/magic button), so the whole family is riding now....yipeee!

now, if they would only clean and service their own bikes LOL!

parkec
09-16-2003, 07:04 PM
What kind of tires? When examing the list of tweaks , I don't see tires. When you look at the pictures the rear tire is brand new, I presume the front is also. You have riden the bike haven't you?:eek:

cornercarver
09-16-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by parkec
What kind of tires? When examing the list of tweaks , I don't see tires. When you look at the pictures the rear tire is brand new, I presume the front is also. You have riden the bike haven't you?:eek:

Those are D207RRs, cause I'm planning a road trip to Utah in early October. To be honest, I am not much of a tire snob, I'll ride on just about anything. I've gotten used to Dunlops over the years, so that is my natural first choice, usually running slicks or 208GPs at the track. The 207RRs work well enough on the road and I've gotten good life out of them, so I stuck with them. Plus, they're cheap. $260-$280/pair. I run a 180 rear.

As for riding the bike, believe me when I say that I am the original high miles Aprilia rider. I put 24,000 miles on my Mille in 8 months, almost none of it on the slab. I've been going a little easier on my Tuono, having put only 5000 miles on it since I purchased it in mid-June. Those tires are brand new cause I took the picture 10 minutes after installing brand new wheels.

--sam

09-17-2003, 11:30 AM
Sam,

It appears that the after market seat is slightly taller at the front end near the tank compared to the stock item. Is this so, and if so, did you specifically order it this way?

I ask because one of the complaints I have about the riding position is that it feels like the seat is slanted toward the front with the result that my privates are always pushing into the tank.

Michael

hank
09-17-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by cornercarver
I suspect we'll be doing regular touristy stuff in Paris, one of my least favourite cities, but she's never been and is obsessed with the place.
--sam

On the far side of the Arch de Triumph is the area where the motorcycle shops are. It is a great place to spend time while she does the girlie-Paris-shopping-thing... Visit the (hugh) Dainese store, where the smell of leather is intoxicating. Also, down a bit further on the same side of the street is an enormous auto racing store that is truly amazing and worth a visit.

cornercarver
09-17-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by 525
Sam,

It appears that the after market seat is slightly taller at the front end near the tank compared to the stock item. Is this so, and if so, did you specifically order it this way?

I ask because one of the complaints I have about the riding position is that it feels like the seat is slanted toward the front with the result that my privates are always pushing into the tank.

Michael

I honestly can't compare it to stock, as I had a Corbin seat on my Mille which I dropped on the Tuono the day I bought it. It was pretty thrashed by the thieves, so I ordered up the Sargent to replace it. I certainly don't ever feel like I am sliding toward the tank. It is a completely stock Sargent seat. No special instructions whatsoever.

--sam