PDA

View Full Version : New and Pissed

kcsimms
10-11-2006, 11:37 PM
Hey All,

I bought a T07 today. I've come over from the SV 1000s side. After spending about $3000.00 on after market toys I decided it was time to start over. Here's why I'm pissed. What's with the owners manual? I've always liked working on my bike instead of taking it to the shop (except for getting the pc III dialed in). The manual is useless. It tells me to turn to page 65 to learn how to change the oil and when I turn to that page it describes how to ride safely. Does Aprilia assume we are all mechanical idiots?? I don't get it. It seems like they just want you to take the bike in for it's "routine" maintenance ($$$$$$$). Can I get a hold of a shop manual that explains how to do actual work to my new toy???? :bangwall:

I love it so far but have a lot to do

y2kmille
10-11-2006, 11:56 PM
yes you can down load the manuals.

That norwegian
10-11-2006, 11:56 PM
:plus:

I agree about the manual. It is crap. But why do you need written instructions for oil & filter change if you are someone who usually handle your maintenance by your self? I have owned japanese and european bikes, and what is common is the crappyness of the manuals. They usually tells you what NOT to do. If you want proper technical instructions, a W.S. manual is what you need.

kcsimms
10-12-2006, 12:00 AM
Good point. It's just that I hear there are two drain plugs and a screen to clean, etc. etc. etc. It would be nice to have a manual that explains these things. The shop manual for the SV is actuall quite good (the owners manual is a joke). I don't mean to bitch, I love the bike so far. Rode it all day with a constant smile on my face! I just think that working on a bike is great therapy.

Beau1K
10-12-2006, 12:02 AM
E-mail the AF1 guys...I'm sure they could order the shop manual for you.

Hey All,

I bought a T07 today. I've come over from the SV 1000s side. After spending about $3000.00 on after market toys I decided it was time to start over. Here's why I'm pissed. What's with the owners manual? I've always liked working on my bike instead of taking it to the shop (except for getting the pc III dialed in). The manual is useless. It tells me to turn to page 65 to learn how to change the oil and when I turn to that page it describes how to ride safely. Does Aprilia assume we are all mechanical idiots?? I don't get it. It seems like they just want you to take the bike in for it's "routine" maintenance ($$$$$$$). Can I get a hold of a shop manual that explains how to do actual work to my new toy???? :bangwall:

kcsimms
10-12-2006, 12:06 AM
Thanx much, I'll look into it. I can't wait to start adding toys!:bump:

DaleInPhoenix
10-12-2006, 12:40 AM
Hey All,

I also owned a SV1000, the '03 non-S. They are similar bikes but the Tuono is sharper all around. I found the SV has more torque lower, but doesn't spin up as quickly. The frame and suspension are much better on the Tuono too. Is the Aprilia twice the bike? ($12,500 vs. $7,000) I don't think so, but it's a keeper.

The aprilia owners manual encourages you to take your bike to the shop for almost everything. Some of the reason is, to take advantage of the extended warranty, you must have all required maintenance documented by a "qualified" mechanic. $$$$$

I use MC maintenance as therapy too! Cheaper than a shrink!

Welcome to the club!

Dale in Phoenix
PS Fill out your profile a little.

AZRen
10-12-2006, 12:42 AM
Congrats on the new bike. Yes we all know the manual is a joke and Aprilia probably knows it too. (Take a gander at the wiring diagram.) That's probably why 90% of us didn't even get one. I've found the workshop manuals on the other hand to be very good. I haven't seen one for the new Tuono yet but it may be available. The 04+ RSV one will suffice for most things.

It's quite clear that Aprilia wants you to utilize the dealer for everything. Hence the two year extended warranty for free so long as you have documented maint.

kcsimms
10-12-2006, 01:31 AM
I asked my salesman about the extended waranty and he didn't seem to know anything about it. How do I make sure I have one?:cheers:

Beau1K
10-12-2006, 01:36 AM
I asked my salesman about the extended waranty and he didn't seem to know anything about it. How do I make sure I have one?:cheers:

I think all the bikes come with a 4 year warrantee now no??

WARRANTY BOOKLET AND OWNERS’ MANUAL
In case warranty booklet or owners’ manual has not been delivered together with the vehicle, or lost afterwards, they have to be requested to the dealer that has sold the vehicle.

TUONOAPE
10-12-2006, 07:06 AM
Here's why I'm pissed....
Well, all you new owners have been told about the issues - but you still went out and bought one!!! :)

flyinlow
10-12-2006, 11:51 AM
You will get a letter from Aprilia in the mail (mine took over 6 months to get here). In the letter will be an activation code, a card and your frame number. There will be a web address listed and if you go there and put in your frame number and activation code, that will activate the other two years worth of warranty.

kcsimms
10-12-2006, 12:00 PM
Thanx for the info, and Tuonoape, I've yet to meet a bike that doesn't have any "issues".

ckruzel
10-12-2006, 12:09 PM
the secondary drain plug is actually installed by gorillas at the factory, don't worry about the screen its at the oil tank and you won't have to worry about it

ckruzel
10-12-2006, 12:10 PM
oh i forgot, welcome to the forum :)

AZRen
10-12-2006, 01:55 PM
the secondary drain plug is actually installed by gorillas at the factory, don't worry about the screen its at the oil tank and you won't have to worry about it

:plus: There is no way a human torqued that up.

chrisscaines
10-12-2006, 02:42 PM
+ 2 on the secondary plug... I have my oil changes down to about 15 minutes tops... that saves me two days at the dealer: one to drop off, one to pick up, and all the hastles involved with being dropped off and picked up.

romo100
10-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Hey All,

Nice pipes!!!

TUONOAPE
10-13-2006, 02:16 AM
and Tuonoape, I've yet to meet a bike that doesn't have any "issues".
Yes, true, but you probably aren't yet aware of the real 'issues' that these bikes have until you've owned one for a bit longer.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95705

kcsimms
10-13-2006, 03:53 AM
OK, I think I'm starting to get it after reading your other postings

monkey hanger
10-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Thanx much, I'll look into it. I can't wait to start adding toys!:bump: What toy's you thinking of adding? Or is your pic in the first post self explanatory? :)

Btw, welcome to the club, i'm sure you'll love the Tuono.

kcsimms
10-13-2006, 07:01 PM
I've already ordered the evo airbox kit. I like the Devil high mount pipes (in my first picture) but the dealer will sell me the Arrows or the Akrapovics at cost ($599.00). I'm still trying to figure out if I should take off the restrictor (so many opinions). I'd rather have low end torque than top speed (I work at a Ski Resort and get to drive the canyon everyday in the summer). I still need to change to the 15t front sproket. I finally received a shop manual that I'm jazzed about. I also need the dealer to change to map 2. He's also looking into taking my penske shock (5 months old) off of my Suzuki and installing it on my T7. I can get a stock rear shock to put back on the Suzuki for about $60.00 on ebay. And the list goes on and on.

AZRen
10-13-2006, 08:10 PM
You won't lose anything by pulling the restrictor and adding the evo box. You should probably think about a powercommander if your going to do that stuff though. My pre and post dyno charts are posted here a few times. Take a look at them and check out the low and midrange. And the top for that matter.

My bike STOMPS!

WannaTuono
10-13-2006, 08:31 PM
I missed this in the original question for the thread. Is there a shop manual available for the T7?

kcsimms
10-13-2006, 11:07 PM
AZRen,

Your dyno's are with the restrictor removed?

AZRen
10-13-2006, 11:40 PM
AZRen,

Your dyno's are with the restrictor removed?

Yes it was removed. I had planned on doing a run with and without but we ran out of time. From what I've been told, the restrictor is more of an intake noise control device and has little to do with low end performance. My gains were good across the board but huge in the low and mid range.

AZRen
10-13-2006, 11:43 PM
If you haven't found them yet. Here's my graphs.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96302&highlight=dyno

kcsimms
10-14-2006, 12:38 AM
Very impressive torque and HP