PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about an MV

No Quarter
09-25-2006, 12:19 PM
Any words of wisdom or caution?

Just thinking about another Italian bike for the garage. No ducs until 1200cc's

It will be a street bike only. I might do a track day or two with it, but usually I am working on something with the race bikes and don't have time to ride the streeter.

I spose the big test will be the annual romp to Laguna-Seca next summer.

I read that '07 has radials and Ohlins?

bgolob
09-26-2006, 12:37 AM
I bought a matte black F41000S this May - likewise no practical justification other than the ride to Laguna. I spend most of my time at track days on my Mille R, and I have a Tuono I can't part with for the occassional mountain rides. But I've wanted one since they came out, so I did it.

My experience? Started great, break in was fun. Took me awhile to get used to the riding position - at 6'2" 210 I've never fit Ducatis very well, and this bike feels close to a 996. Once in motion though, it's nothing like a Ducati...the power is smooth but not Japanese electric, and to me (and my 115 hp Mille) feels limitless. You may have seen that a stock 2006 MV recently set a literbike landspeed record in Utah. Suspension felt pretty good for the short time I rode it (didn't have time to fiddle with it before my sad story below). Not sure what I would have done - even stock it rivaled my Mille for feel and confidence. A little more effort to get it over than my Mille, but absolutely rock solid & precise once you're in the turn. Brakes were OK - traditional mount Nissins not as good as the Mille's Brembos but more than adequate for my limited skills. The 2007 has radial brakes, more power (yikes) and is reported to be a little ligher.

The ride thru NoCal toward Laguna was epic - I'm usually pretty tame on the street but during another weak moment (this bike will produce them) I pinned it...can't say what I saw on the speedo on the advice of counsel but it was faster than I've ever been on the track. Stupid yes, but the bike feels so good at speed I was honestly suprised how fast I was going. There was absolutely no drama - nothing but the F-1 thrum. My goodness what a bike.

Next part of the trip was pretty memorable too...the mountain ride was toasty - well over 100 (heat wave that week)...so we drove out to the coast and I parked the bike in our trailer for the night. Temp probably dropped to 50s, and I awoke to find my beautifully scuplted gas tank crumpled like an empty MGD can. Turns out the vent was blocked, and the full pump had pressurized the tank before I parked it. Called a dealer and they knew immediately - it "happens" to Ducatis too. Not really sure how often.

Anyway, managed to make it to the race and home, but took a fair amount of the fun out of it (other than the looks I got when I told people I did it stunting). Dropped the bike at the shop in late July, and that's the last I saw it. Tough to get parts from Italy in August, probably especially so after the World Cup. Not sure MV USA really has their act together either. :WTF: Still working out what I'm going to do, but it's a good thing I didn't sell the Tuono.

So the moral is...go for it, the 2007 is worth it, you will love it when it's available...but make sure you have enough around to keep you busy while it's away.

lawman800
09-26-2006, 12:47 AM
If you only want the MV for looks, any of them will do. However, for any serious riding, the 750s with the conventional brakes are worthless. I had a 2001 and I put a chip and Ti pipes on it and it barely made it as good as a 1997 GSXR600 in feel. The front brakes were marginal and the rear brakes were for decoration only.

Go with the 1000R with the radials. You'll get real performance. I am thinking about one myself.

MotoVee
09-26-2006, 03:45 AM
Where are you located? I know someone selling a 2006 MV Agusta Brutale Gladio around here if you are interested. Lots of goodies and stuff for whatever its worth..

No Quarter
09-26-2006, 09:56 AM
I'm near seattle. if the deal is right I would be interested, but probably will wait for the '07 model with brembos and ohlins.

Please PM me some details or contact info.

I'm sure it would not take too much arm twisting to get my wife to make a weekend trip to CA to look at the bike, (as long as I forget to mention the looking at the bike part)

Soo it sounds like MV is like aprilia in the parts and service. HMMMMMM.

Of course as long as the bikes don't break at the same time I should be fine.

I love twins, but I'm gonna try an I4. We'll see what the "big 4" have this year but I have a very soft spot for the Italian bikes...

lawman800
09-26-2006, 10:13 AM
The MV is not hard to service and it maintains like a Gixxer, so claims most of the mechanics I've spoken to. It's still an inline-4. The parts are going to be hard to come by though, although I hear if you're connected to people overseas, you can just ship them directly at a premium, if you don't want to wait. I had a buddy in Japan ship me stuff since they have a CAGIVA store that sells all the stuff.

No Quarter
09-26-2006, 10:17 AM
Well if I take the plunge, mabye you I could bug you to help me...

Thanks for the response.

No Quarter
09-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Where are you located? I know someone selling a 2006 MV Agusta Brutale Gladio around here if you are interested. Lots of goodies and stuff for whatever its worth..

Oops, Its gotta be an F4 1000. sorry.

the only nekkid I would consider would be the Tuono.

No Quarter
09-26-2006, 06:05 PM
I appreciate all you guys responding.

Just want to know what I'm getting into.

I may end up with a Japanese I4 (wouldn't that be a shame??)

Arnie
09-26-2006, 10:26 PM
I'm considering one myself. Bgolob, nice write up. I'm debating between the F4 or the Brutale. There's a used 910 at Spectrum in Irvine that I might take out for a test ride this week.

lawman800
09-26-2006, 10:54 PM
My buddy in Japan has both the F4S and Brutale. He likes the Brutale because it's a lot easier to ride on the street and the power curve is more friendly as well for regular riding.

No Quarter
09-26-2006, 11:58 PM
Hey Bgolob,

I'm a local.

I race a Factory R with WMRRA you outta come out and take a peek. We have some excellent racing.

Last event is Oct 7-8 or whatever that weekend is.

I'm #121 racing a SV 650 and Factory R. Having some decent results.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm in the research stage, waiting to see whats new for all the manufacturers in '07, but kinda have my heart set on the F4 1000R with the radial brembos I know and love.

bgolob
09-27-2006, 11:37 PM
Wondered if that was you Allister. We met at a track day, you lent me a clutch. I believe that was the same day we saw a new F4 binned, frame broken and rider in tears...much as I was when I saw my crumpled tank.

I've seen you race...it is nice to see an RSV running up front. Good luck next weekend...looks like all you've got is the two Eastside Ducks to knock off and the top step is yours. My friends and I have worked our way up to "advanced" group, and we're toying with the idea of endurance racing next year. Would love to pick your brain at some point.

And maybe next year we can compare MVs...after two months of waiting for a tank, I'm probably going to punt the 06 and go for the 07 too. I'll be the "slow one."

Best
Brian

chad951
10-05-2006, 06:06 PM
So the moral is...go for it, the 2007 is worth it, you will love it when it's available...but make sure you have enough around to keep you busy while it's away.

I too am looking at purchasing a 2007 F41000R. I spoke to my local dealer and they said they have never really had a problem getting parts from MV. Of course they are a small dealer and most likely don't order parts such as a gas tank that often so their statement may not be 100% accurate based on limited experience.

I am keeping my Factory so in the event that the MV does go in the shop for awhile I will be ok. I just can ever imagine letting my Factory go for any reason. I love that bike.

bgolob
10-07-2006, 02:38 AM
Update...still waiting for the gas tank sitch to get sorted, two months in now. The tank is available but dealing with MV USA has been a little trying. Again, I wouldn't change my purchase decision, but I'm sure glad I've got other bikes to keep me company.

Axecent
10-09-2006, 05:43 AM
Update...still waiting for the gas tank sitch to get sorted, two months in now. The tank is available but dealing with MV USA has been a little trying. Again, I wouldn't change my purchase decision, but I'm sure glad I've got other bikes to keep me company.

I bought a Tamburini recently and have found that the importer, who promised to look into some problems I had with the dealer, has quit responding to my calls and e-mails. Pretty disappointing to spend that kind of money and find dealers that make lotsa mistakes about delivering all of the accessory items (I am giving them the benefit of the doubt, here, but it took over a month to get everything that was supposed to have been delivered when I bought it: BUT, I did finally get everything after calls and e-mails) and an importer that hasn't made a timely response to direct questions about that dealer and a warranty issue I have.

It may all work out, but nobody likes to have calls amd e-mails ignored......a one minute call to tell me they are working on it would do wonders, or hell, just put my call through instead of taking messages and then not returning them.

No Quarter
10-09-2006, 10:41 PM
Point taken.

At least Piaggio returns my calls.

Still takes forever to get any parts....

Axecent
10-12-2006, 05:56 PM
They (Cagiva USA) finally responded to a call this week, albeit with an answer that was very disappointing to me: They chose to follow their company policies, over my request to use what I considered to be common sense. At least I got an answer.

I will give them (Cagiva USA) the benefit of the doubt...perhaps the importer doesn't have the ability to over-rule MV Italy policy, but nonetheless, it made for an undesirable outcome for me.....you know, the customer that just shelled out $+45K for a Tamburini.

Bottom line is, I bought a Tambo with 3 miles on it, 'as new', and never serviced, but it had previously been titled (a year earlier), according to the dealer. I bought it with the representation by the dealer's rep that Cagiva USA rejected my request, through the dealership selling it, to re-instate the full warranty. All of this was up front prior to my purchase.

This did not keep me from contacting the importer directly and throwing myself on their 'better' judgement AFTER i bought the bike. They declined....

So I paid full retail for a new " but perviously titled" Tambo, and got less than 8 months of factory warranty. THAT takes some luster off the ownership of the most beautiful bike I have ever owned....

I don't think I will be adding that new Brutale to my stable anytime soon, though.....and some of my respect for the marque has been damaged. So what......I will ride it as hard as anything I have and hope it holds up.

bac1023
10-13-2006, 02:57 AM
I love looking at the MV's at my local dealer (Fast by Ferracci). I have been thinking about getting one as well, but I just bought my RSVR Factory. The thing I didn't like about MV was the lack of Ohlins and Brembo. However, from what I'm reading here, that may be changing.:happy:

ckruzel
10-13-2006, 08:41 PM
bac, you should head up when the weather gets warm for some riding up in the wilkes barre scranton area

Red Label Moto
10-13-2006, 09:55 PM
I now it's not what you are looking for, but check this one out. Talk about repressing yourself:

http://www.redlabelmoto.com/details.asp?srID=191

No Quarter
10-14-2006, 08:44 PM
hey Kie,

Allister here.

Looking for a new exotic. (mabye...)
Waiting to see the "big four" bikes in person, the 1098 Duc, and the F4 R.
If you get something cool contact me. Denzler, Lannigan or Keane know my numbers.

RastaRN
10-15-2006, 06:09 PM
You might want to make a call to your Insurance guy before you buy an F4 1000. Last year I was having a hard time deciding between a new 999 and an F41000. One call to my insurance agent quickly made my decision easy. My premium for FULL coverage with the 999 = $1100/year.....the F4 1000 = $2800/year. I called several insurance companies, and some didn't even insure the F4 1000. It could be different for you, so I would call first.

FYI: I bought the 999, then sold it because it was just too uncomfortable. I now have a Tuono Racing, and have found peace and harmony.

nicolino
05-13-2011, 08:15 PM
interesting , my full coverage 100 000/300 000 limits with 500.00deductible runs me $ 56.00 a month with State Farm (F4-1000) but then again I'm in Florida. Rates vary . As for parts , I have two F-4 s now have MV's for past 10-11 years and have yet to felt a shortage of parts . You don't have to go to MV Italy for parts. Register with mvagusta.net and learn as much as possible before you buy. It will save you a lot's of headache and money!!! You will also learn how and where to source parts. (CAG , a forum member has been our parts to go guy for a long time . ) Have problems , issues, just post it and ask and someone will quickly jump in and explain how to fix and or what the problem is. Truthfully , for a MV Agusta owner this forum is a must !!!

Now I have done the same here on Aprilia forum . Registered and read and learned as much as possible before I have actually purchased my Aprilia ( RXV 450) . Again, I think it is a must for everyone who own and or looking to own Italian bike.

Thank You gentlemen !!!

jrflanne
05-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Having seen Axcent's Tambo, that thing is beyond description.

DeBenGuzzi
05-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Having seen Axcent's Tambo, that thing is beyond description.

true but the wheels don't do it for me I like the older star wheels better, call me old fashioned, otherwise, just wow.

jrflanne
05-13-2011, 10:36 PM
Fuck Dude, you ride a Duc. Get a Fut. A lot less hassle. I give you grief because you won't even post a pic.

DeBenGuzzi
05-13-2011, 11:04 PM
Fuck Dude, you ride a Duc. Get a Fut. A lot less hassle. I give you grief because you won't even post a pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Kegan/photo15.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Kegan/photo17.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Kegan/photo16.jpg

Axecent
05-16-2011, 06:26 AM
true but the wheels don't do it for me I like the older star wheels better, call me old fashioned, otherwise, just wow.

I felt the same way, but the stockers have grown on me.....:) Almost bought a set of the star wheels, but they were silver and the guy wanted an arm and 2 legs. If I saw a perfect set of gold star wheels at the right price....maybe.

tireatr
05-24-2011, 07:56 AM
Was lucky enough to ride a guys 2010 F4 1000 this past weekend. It felt very light, very nimble, yet the ergo's were quite comfortable. About the same amount of legroom and reach as my 02 Mille. Power was smooth and after after 2nd gear it really wakes up. It does run a little hot and I didn't have it over 100, but between 65-85 mph it felt stable and smooth. Also it has traction control, but I didn't have the opportunity to really test it.

Ken

AndyBeeApy
06-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Of all the bikes I've seen, it is definately my dream bike. Just need 15000:00 :(

BMEPdoc
06-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Of all the bikes I've seen, it is definately my dream bike. Just need 15000:00 :(

Have one. Terrible ergo's. Spins up nicely and makes beautiful noises. Gorgeous to look at. All in all, a nice piece of pricey living room art.

Nothing like the 1098S and FAR less user friendly than my RSV.

-doc

Baron Hardup
07-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Having owned an F4 312R from new I will give my honest opinion.
To look at they are fantastic :
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f205/potnoodle1977/DSC00157-Copy.jpg

They are fast and handle great at speed when you get the set up right!
They overheat! my radiator almost eloded , it sent hot coolant everywhere straigh up the inside of the screen, the upper tank panel fell off, the wheel nut tightened itself up and trapping the security clip to the point where the nut had to be damaged to remove the wheel, the chain gaurd cracked and was flapping about , the exhaust pipe came loose, took MV 4 months to send a whole new exhaust for the sake of replacing one rivet :) , If its hot you will bake on one and compared to the latest bikes they feel slow to handle.
I personaly wouldn't touch one with a barge pole again. but I still love the look of them.
They truely are a bike where it all comes together at real fast speeds. I love them and hate them.
They also need a water impeller upgrade asap as the stock one is pants!
Just my opinion for what its worth!