PDA

View Full Version : Still on the fence

cyborg
09-14-2006, 11:13 PM
I've been reading this forum for a few months and test ridden a brand new mile 0 SXV450 from a shop recently. They didn't have a 550 of either model in stock, still don't. The 450 was fully derestricted and remapped but maybe because the engine was low mile and still so tight on my test ride it seemed down on power for a 450, low to mid throttle it wandered all over the place in revs, causing poor low speed/tight maneuver handling, and bad vibes in the upper more responsive rev range. The vibes in particular disappointed me. I had hoped the v-twin would be smoother than a single like a KTM 640/525 or the '06 Husky SM 510 I also rode recently, but it's not. The 450 was truly hand-numbing anywhere above 55-60mph in top gear. I've ridden a KTM LC4 motor a lot so I have a good comparison. The 450 was just as bad but higher frequency at 'highway' speeds. Now I read the SXV5.5 gas mileage seems to average 25mpg, that's pretty dismal. What does a KTM525 get out of curiousity?

I love the Aprilia SXV/RXV design, pure sex, and I had been been awaiting one to try for almost 2 years, but it seems to have a few teething problems in it's first year delivery. Expected I guess. I had hoped the RXV5.5 would make a good non-boring dual- sport rig, but it's sounding like it's too finicky, has bad vibes and has such a poor range on a tank, that maybe that's not realistic, even though the RXV has knobbies. Desert racing only? Hmmm. If the throttle low to mid range surging, which would make tight single-trail handling a real bitch, can be fixed it might be more manageable. Maybe I need to ride a more broken-in bike. Add an auto-clutch to add a bit more flywheel effect?

Lots of good info on this forum, and I still may very well get an RXV model "just because" I like the way it looks and the trick tech on it. Get some Excel SM wheels/tires for it for pavement duty. Decisions decisions. I want an EFI bike, but not too many other options out there yet in 450/550.

FORZA
09-15-2006, 12:08 AM
These bikes are not commuter friendly, you are looking at the wrong bike if that is what you are expecting.

Dave.

Ergo
09-15-2006, 12:42 AM
Twins smooth out BIG TIME after break in. :worship:

Might be worthwhile to find a local rider who has some miles on theirs. :cheers: Seriously, it can feel like a different bike after the initial service and break in! :eek:

RZRob
09-15-2006, 12:53 AM
The bike is a hooligan toy. Commuting in the traditional sense would be underwhelming if not frustrating. It dishes out a 60-cycle hum when trying to maintain any kind of consistent pace that'll have you slowing down in an attempt to eliminate it or else you feel like you're going to fry it (and maybe you would).

The bike wants to be run through the paces and have it's throttle and brakes and suspension cycled consistently through their range.

I did 60 miles of tight canyons and had just an extreme blast:worship: . I rode 15 miles to work and wished I was on a bigger, taller geared bike. I terrorize my neighborhood and fully expect a trash can to get thrown at me as I crank one up down someone's back street:burnout: . It's a blast, but not the best place to be going through any gears or RPMs. I did 15 miles of freeway and tried to decide who was being tortured more - me or the bike:bond: .

Saturday and Sunday morning though, I'll truck the bike to another tight canyon and burn through a couple tankfuls. It's like waiting for Christmas morning.

RZ Rob

RSV1000RnAZ
09-15-2006, 09:21 AM
:plus:

The bike loosens up quite a bit after about 200 miles, and runs great.

I noticed a difference in power delivery as well.

RZRob is right. It's a hooligan bike. So have bail money handy.:bump:

cyborg
09-15-2006, 11:00 AM
Thanks for for the info folks. Yep, I gathered from many posts on this forum that this is not a commuter bike. I knew for sure after riding one and I don't expect to commute on it . I have a 100hp Triumph Tiger 955i for my daily commutes (gets 45mpg:rolleyes: ) SM's are fun and this forum seems mostly oriented to the SM's, but I like offroad dual-sport a bit more these days. I had a DRZ400S which in '03 was the only game in town for semi-serious offroad and street legal. I had modded it quite a bit for serious offroad work and still be plated. With full FMF, jetting, airbox mods etc the DRZ400 can be made to move along quite well (mine could hit 100mph on the GPS), gets 40 to 50mpg, smooth in pavement mode and stone-axe reliable -- but after 5000 miles on it, most offroad, I was getting rather bored :tired: with it, and the weight and suspension was less than stellar.
I also like EFI a LOT. My 955i triple Tiger is EFI and my 250cc Montesa Cota 4RT trials bike is EFI with flawless throttle response. I've been dealing with carbs on bikes for 30+ years and I much prefer well tuned EFI, especially with a lot of altitude changes. The EFI on the SXV I rode seemed not very accurate, but I hear from the dealer, as several of you have said, that it gets a lot smoother after break-in and a better map. Gives me hope.

What I am looking for is a platable, reasonably light, unique, fast and cool looking dual sport with great suspension and handling and reliable engine. Is that ALL you ask? My meaning of dual-sport is short pavement runs to the offroad riding areas or long dirt/gravel/single track runs in the boonies. I don't mind a slightly cantankerous, twitchy high maintenance bike as long as it delivers the goods and has some semblance of reliability -- and a big one to me these days, low vibes if possible. Yes, after you've been riding a LONG time those vibes can start trashing your hand/finger nerves. In races you are so pumped up you don't even notice vibes or a board-hard seat, but like it or not those vibes take a toll on you in fatigue.

So what else is out there in the category I'm looking for? The new Husky street-legal series 450 and 510 are trick looking bikes with cool tech on them, but they vibrate like a bastard and are carbed. Not for me. KTMs are always cool, but carbed again. The new street-legal EXC's, when they appear, have me interested, but again, carbed. I've heard rumors they may go EFI next year. However the v-twin Aprilia engine got me going the first time I saw it, so I really WANT the bike to work! Maybe all it needs is a bit of flywheel to smooth those ponies out just a bit. Aprilia is missing the mark, especially in the US if they don't realize that. If all they want to do is sell to racers, fine, but the much bigger market is for a reasonably streetable bike.
I guess I keep on wishing, and go ride the RXV550 when it comes in.
My .02

OZRS
09-15-2006, 03:08 PM
Sounds like you need a VOR, that's the only bike i can think of that fits your criteria. But where's the fun in being pratical

cyborg
09-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Sounds like you need a VOR, that's the only bike i can think of that fits your criteria. But where's the fun in being pratical

Never heard of a VOR but Googled it and sure enough there is a brand like that. Too oddball I reckon.

Anyway, today I again test rode the same demo SXV450 I rode a few weeks ago, after it's had many more test rides and miles and fine tuning of the map. MUCH better bike! Much smoother, less vibes much better behaved at the lower end of the RPM spectrum. Restored my faith in the bike quite a bit. I enjoyed the ride a lot more this time.

"My" RXV550 is being prepped right now, I sat on it today too. I'll give that a test ride early next week and see if I prefer the 450 or 550 in the Enduro config.

OZRS
09-15-2006, 09:15 PM
Too Oddball. Geez i'd hate to see you're choice in women!

cyborg
09-15-2006, 11:11 PM
Too Oddball. Geez i'd hate to see you're choice in women!

By oddball, I just meant low volume, likely hard to get parts, very pricey etc. not how they look. I was simply guessing. I took a closer look online just now and see they are Italian too, and they do look trick. Just never seen one in the Seattle area, but that doesn't mean much.

My choice in women huh? Should I take the bait? Oh, what the heck, here you go:
My wife, 44 and still doing fine (IMHO). Supports my, uh, riding passion...

http://cyb.smugmug.com/photos/95575649-S.jpg

I'll post pix of the Aprilia if I get one...

Maxacceleration
09-15-2006, 11:20 PM
My 955i triple Tiger

Was that your Tiger getting push started today?
I would imagine the SXV/RXV will bump start easier than that. :)

I took my SXV 4.5 home today. Not too practical but very FUN!
I did not buy it to be practical or commute or for fuel mileage.
Those are the wrong reasons to buy the new 4.5/5.5 IMO.
M. I. set mine up with seamless fueling. It feels smoother than my buddies
LC4 does too. His LC4 blurs my vision lol.
M.I. works hard to set-up their new bikes well.
Hats off to Micha, Jason, Ron and the gang.
They dialed my Tuono in too... :worship:

OZRS
09-15-2006, 11:55 PM
Atta boy cyborg, good to see you've got a good sense of humour.

VOR make good machinery. You're right in saying you don't see much of it around, but i think that's half the fun. Most bikes now are just a bunch of components put together, so if you get something a little exotic there is still a good chance that some parts are interchangable with other bikes. They are a bit pricy. Being injected, they're smooth for a single. Seeing Ohlins on a bike like that gives me a woody too.

cyborg
09-16-2006, 01:20 AM
[QUOTE=Maxacceleration]Was that your Tiger getting push started today?
I would imagine the SXV/RXV will bump start easier than that. :)
I took my SXV 4.5 home today. Not too practical but very FUN!
QUOTE]

Yep that was me. First electrical problem, actually first problem of any type I've had on that Tiger for years and almost 40K miles. Ran on battery and made it home OK. I figure the charging circuit has a problem. Will figure it out tomorrow in my shop.

Still lusting after the RSV/SXV, hot blooded, high maintenance, not very economical -- hmmm, wait a minute, sounds like somebody else I know :burnout:

-=Clif

cyborg
09-16-2006, 01:29 AM
VOR make good machinery. You're right in saying you don't see much of it around, but i think that's half the fun. Most bikes now are just a bunch of components put together, so if you get something a little exotic there is still a good chance that some parts are interchangable with other bikes. They are a bit pricy. Being injected, they're smooth for a single. Seeing Ohlins on a bike like that gives me a woody too.

I think EFI is definitely the coming thing on dirtbikes/SM's and such. The Montesa Cota 4RT trials bike has a very compact and potent four-stroke 250cc EFI engine made by Honda Racing HRC and is a work of art, and runs spot-on too. I can just imagine a dirtbike/dual-sport/SM that tight. The VOR you mention likely is, and maybe the Aprilia once it gets dialed in.

MilleMarco
09-17-2006, 10:58 PM
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Little bit of info on VOR and other manufactures.

cyborg
09-27-2006, 10:36 PM
To end this thread: Got me an RXV550, love it :plus:

http://cyb.smugmug.com/photos/98241307-L.jpg

duc slayer
09-27-2006, 10:37 PM
That a boy, just jump in head first.....enjoy :cheers:

cyborg
09-27-2006, 10:54 PM
That a boy, just jump in head first.....enjoy :cheers:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/friday.gif Let the games begin...:burnout: