PDA

View Full Version : Who owned the Black cat

dm666
09-13-2006, 08:04 AM
The Trials and Tribulations of a new SXV owner.....

They bad luck comes in three's - Well tomorrow must be my lucky day!

The first SXV has an internal haemorrhage - Strike one, the next SXV has the stuck spring issue - Strike two - but I still boldly go ahead with the purchase (despite what I consider a distinct lack of confidence from Aprilia to standby their product....) Anyhue Strike Three - haven't even racked up 30ks on this thing and I get nicked for cutting in to the pushbike lane (again) The Copper was quite excited about seeing his first SXV - I was less enthused....

So I picks it up in the arvo and get it home - first job is to get the dremel on to that ghastly number plate holder...... Much better

Next day - fire it up and it coughs and splutters like a freakin pensioner with emphysema.... but eventually we get on the road.....

I am not sure if all the spruikers have ridden big bore fours before - but I gotta say I am a little dissapointed in the performance of the 5.5 - My 06 KTM525 would chew this thing up (off the throttle). I'll tell you more once it is run in. Before you ask it is fully derestricted.

First impressions -
Didn't the Arc have a Cable Clutch?
Does it vibrate? - There is a point at around 7 grand where it'l rattle your teeth out...
Hesitates off throttle - distinct lack of responsiveness (Yes Could be mapping)
Coldblooded - You betcha - Its a bitch
Gearing - not for the road
I will be buying an exhaust before the end of the week - I wanted to keep the noise level down on this but this thing needs to breath.....

I think an exhaust will also improve the bike 'mentally' - Before I sold the katoom I ripped the Factory race system off and put the standard one back on - hated it - It sucked - It may only be a few ponies on paper but in your head it is worth 10 or 15.

Overall it is not a bad thing, I am sure once I have aclimatised to the big Ape, got over the pre-delivery dramas and added a few personal touches to it, I reckon I may be a little more excited about it....

amauri
09-14-2006, 01:18 AM
Hesitates off throttle - distinct lack of responsiveness (Yes Could be mapping)
Coldblooded - You betcha - Its a bitch
Your Throttle Bodies are not correctly synchronized.
Also, make sure you have map #15002 loaded to go with the stock and de-restricted exhaust.

dm666
09-14-2006, 03:50 AM
Thanks Amauri - I will get it checked first service, if not before - And if I go an aftermarket exhaust what Map do you recommend then?

Mister Vee
09-14-2006, 06:12 AM
Amauri, did'nt know this...

Your Throttle Bodies are not correctly synchronized.
Also, make sure you have map #15002 loaded to go with the stock and de-restricted exhaust.
I am about to get the SilMotor exhuast, am I wasting money?

What advise on map # when I get it?

Are the bikes exactly the same in UK and US (I'm thinking emmissions and any other restrictions)?

Thanks

dm666
09-18-2006, 08:02 AM
Rode the SXV5.5 in anger for the first time today - It certainly has loosened up and beegeesus it certainly does pack a mid range punch that I had probably underestimated.

I rode hard on the pipe which solved the lack of reponse a fair bit - Still willl be very keen to get that dialled in right as soon as I can get it back to the workshop.

I was impressed - It certainly makes the power differently to anything I have ridden before and I am enjoying it the more I get on it.

While the motor feels like it is loosening up the first oil change should loosen the gear box up - It is a bit 'clunky' but then I could be missing the slipper clutch I was so use to?