PDA

View Full Version : Subframe cracks!?!?!

gstation
09-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Noticed hairline cracks in the subframe, behind the battery, just in front of the welded in seat tabs. Anyone else have this problem?! Just dropped it off for the 1st service, so will see what the official word is about it. I heard that aprilia had similar problems with swing arms on some bikes in the past...plan on going over the rest of the frame to make sure there's nothing else funny going on...
Its the 550 by the way, only 310miles, I only weigh 190, and haven't crashed, haven't done any big jumps...am i the only lucky person with this problem?

ckruzel
09-06-2006, 02:04 PM
if you get a new one, which you should, might not be a bad idea to gusset it

RZRob
09-06-2006, 03:34 PM
We'll have to monitor this and decide whether this is an anomoly or a trend. Back in my RZ 350 days, the injector oil bottle mounting tabs under the seat had a propensity for cracking off. Often people wouldn't even know it was broken until the bottle itself cracked from being down 1 bracket.

Regarding the SXV cracks, are these to the frame mounting points? In otherwords, how catastrophic would failure be?

RZ Rob

Quix
09-06-2006, 09:14 PM
if you get a new one, which you should, might not be a bad idea to gusset it

LOL come on!! It might not be a bad idea for Aprilia to produce a frame that doesn't crack! :tired:

rocketmatt17
09-11-2006, 12:06 PM
The dealer I bought mine from noticed a crack in the subframe upon derestriction. They said that looked like it was from the improper tapping of a hole in the sub frame. I had to wailt an extra day or two for delivery but they did an excellent job of throughly inspecting the whole bike and I couldnt be happier.