PDA

View Full Version : Airbox question (or here we go again)???

Jony2Stones
09-04-2006, 04:28 PM
I had my airbox lid off this afternoon.....and......

I noticed that there is a semi-perm cover on the inside just behind the air-snorkels (top lid of the airbox). This cover blocks off probably 2/3's of the holes for the snorkels (possible air into the filter). It appears that this cover is 'tacked' into place and could be easily removed.

I'm wondering if this is similar to the 2001+ Tuono/RSV airboot---the one that was modified to reduce intake noises for emissions.

I don't want to cut holes into the airbox lid (something that was suggested on other sites)---but if this cover can be easily removed and more air can get into the maacheen I'd be into it.

Any thoughts???

FORZA
09-04-2006, 06:29 PM
It is also a water trap & it also holds the air filter in place along the front.
Intended usage is probably the key to choosing whether you remove it or not.

Do you really need it to go faster???

Dave.

Aprilia
09-04-2006, 06:40 PM
I removed mine. I dont intend on riding in the rain. With a 2 gal tank how far from home can you be?

Do you really need it to go faster???

Dave.

Yes!!!

Jony2Stones
09-04-2006, 06:53 PM
I removed mine. I dont intend on riding in the rain. With a 2 gal tank how far from home can you be?

Any difference in performance, sound, etc....?

dizzy
09-04-2006, 06:57 PM
It restricts airflow. Use a power reamer of some description to remove the plastic weld and it should pop out with a bit of persuasion.

They dont run at their optimum with it in and the amount of water entering through the snorkles is negligable at best.

Matthew Roche
09-05-2006, 08:26 AM
Remove the baffle plate at the front and put a small strip of faom to prevent the filter from sliding forward. Replace the 'Panel Filter' with a foam air filter from an RSV. Fits perfect. Allow a bit more air through but protect against dirt with a drop of filter oil.

Make sure you get those throttle bodies balanced and the minimum throttle setting as this is the key to the 450cc power issues.

:)