PDA

View Full Version : Capo problems?

jmarkey
09-05-2003, 09:43 PM
About to bite the bullet and buy a Capo. Coming off a long string of bikes over the last 30 years, many BMW's the last 8 years and my GS will be my last. My Mille has been great other than the rear shock blowing out at 3k miles.

1) What problems (if any) have you had with your Capo?

2) What is the first thing you'd change (or have changed)?

3) If you've had a BMW R11GS, how does it compare?

I'm definitely interested in comments from high mileage riders
since I will be putting plenty of miles on it.

Thanks,

Jim

dave
09-06-2003, 01:27 AM
Whos a big brave boy then?

are you disenchanted by your bm experience?

I have only had an old R 100 gspd 93 model (still have my old love r90/6 bog stock cooking model) bought Pd of an old german guy in melbourne at 29 thousand it was great I put another 40 thousand ks on it before i traded it on capo,

Have only done 4000 on capo yet so cant say much about long term use yet, but plan on puting many ks on it.

Keep in touch here and compare notes as time goes by. Robyn and i are planning a 4000 k trip end of oct. ballarat brisbane via sydney and several day rides ex bris to northern rivers area of nsw. then home via burke cobar or reverse of same.

dusserre123
09-06-2003, 03:10 AM
Hello,
We just went back from a 5000 Km trip with the CN. Not a single problem. The bike run fine and nothing has been modified from stock. Good handling good comfort, reasonnable appetite (6.5 l/100 km). The bike was loaded to its max: 1 passenger, tank bag, rear bags (top case and left/right cases).
It makes a perfect bike for long ride.

Cheers
Jacques

mrpete64
09-06-2003, 04:45 AM
I cannot say anything about long term wear but I put on a givi taller windshield, one inch bar risers and 1150 gs handprotectors. Since I am 6'2' the windshield and bar riser helped a lot.
From what I have been told by one of my friends that has an Aprilia....he has over 30,000 miles on it and not one single problem. I have had a lot of bikes since 1962 and just love my capo. I personally would not hesitate, like I did before, to buy one.
I bought a 2002 leftover....I traded in my Yamaha FJR1300 with 600 miles on it for this bike. The fjr "fried" my left leg...testicles....etc. At 56 I was not in the mood to cut the bike up to try to make it fit.
If you want to go like helll....and don't mind heat....the Yamaha is a great bike. It handles very well....but buy the extened warranty....

Enjoy your capo!

rons
09-06-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by jmarkey
1) What problems (if any) have you had with your Capo?

I've had mine for about 6 months and put about 15,000 miles on it. This included two trips to Alaska one of which took the Capo up to Prudoe Bay. In that time I've had a blown rear shock at about 1k miles (Showa seems to have a bit of a problem with some of their shocks) and I lost one of the rubber foot peg covers. The Aprilia's seem to be pretty much bullet proof. I put about 20,000 miles on a Futura last year and no real problems with that bike either. The Capo is a real workhorse that also handles fairly well.

2) What is the first thing you'd change (or have changed)?

The seat. It's not condusive to long miles, for me anyway. I had Rich's in Seattle do a custom. The other thing is the wind screen. Depending on where the air hits you it can cause buffeting. Some are fine with the stock. I'm not and I've tried a lot of things to solve it without any real success. The next thing I'm going to try is the wing from Touratech. My wind up running with a cut down screen as that is the best solution I've found to date.

Other changes:

1) Euro side stand. Reduces the top heavy feeling by not letting the bike lean as far when on the side stand.

2) Center Stand.

3) Side bags. The Aprila ones work fine and they're cheap.

4) Givi E-52 top case.

5) Good tank bag like a Marsee. Once you have the side, top and tank bags, you have a lot of capacity.

3) If you've had a BMW R11GS, how does it compare?

Don't own one but have riden one. The Capo has more power, less weight, stiffer frame and if the troubles reported by BMW owners are any indication, much better reliability.

I'm definitely interested in comments from high mileage riders
since I will be putting plenty of miles on it.

35,000 miles on Aprilias in the last two years. Not as much as some, but more than others.

jmarkey
09-06-2003, 04:55 PM
In that time I've had a blown rear shock at about 1k miles (Showa seems to have a bit of a problem with some of their shocks) and I lost one of the rubber foot peg covers.

I'm sure the rear shock on the Capo is a Sachs unit (in other words crap). Very curious if Aprilia covered the shock under warranty. Reason I ask is BMW refuses to warrant shocks, brake rotors, brake hoses, wheel bearings, etc. during the warranty period.

By the way - the rear shock (Sachs) on my Mille only made it to 3500 miles. It is a 2000.5 model and was out of the one year warranty by then. I called suspension shops coast-to-coast and couldn't get anybody to rebuild it, so I had to go to Ohlins. This is one area of concerned with the Capo - Aftermarket parts availability - I can't seem to find anybody who makes a replacement shock ('cause I know the Sachs won't hold up) and I'm not interested in buying an expensive new shock that won't last long.

rons
09-07-2003, 10:07 AM
I'm sure the rear shock on the Capo is a Sachs unit (in other words crap). Very curious if Aprilia covered the shock under warranty. Reason I ask is BMW refuses to warrant shocks, brake rotors, brake hoses, wheel bearings, etc. during the warranty period.

You are correct, it is a Sachs. Yes they did replace it under warranty. The second one has lasted so far. The bike has about 15k miles on it now. If this one dies, I think Penske is making a replacement for the Capo.

MotoDuck
09-07-2003, 12:06 PM
In preperation for my Capo purchase next year. I re-read an article in Motorcycle Consumer News (great mag but kinda pricey), a lengthy real world comparison of the GS, Tiger, V-Strom, and Capo. All of the bikes were good but they rated the Capo last. Having read through it carefully, I disagree. At least in my mind and for what I'm going to use it for.

What I got out of the article is that the GS is the superior bike, but cost considerably more expensive. The V-Strom is the best value, but not up to the job of the other three. The Tiger is pretty close to the Capo in price and performance, but had a few niggly problems that would bother me over a long ride. And the Capo, they picked on a few thing that wouldn't really bother me. Except for the seat! Of which I almost plan on replacing first (fourth positive comment I've heard about Rich's in Seattle). And it's Italian!

skidlid
09-07-2003, 08:01 PM
I've got 25k on mine, with no problems. It seems to get stronger as time goes by.

bmyates
09-08-2003, 05:52 PM
I agree with the changes recommended by Rons in the post above -- I've made all of those, including a great custom seat made by Rich's in Seattle. I've mentioned before that the MCN comparo of the four Adv-touring bikes docked the Capo for "little stuff" that is easily fixed (seat, fork dive). Eliminate those issues, and the Capo is arguably the equal or superior of any of the other three.

Depending on how heavy you are, you also might want to get the heavier springs and/or thicker oil for the forks to reduce dive, and I think the Givi tall screen is a great and worthwhile invesment to reduce wind buffetting.

Bruce

timcob
09-08-2003, 06:55 PM
I have thought about going with the Givi screen but am now thinking against it. I cross the Golden Gate Bridge on my commute and have about a 30-35 mph freezing crosswind (about force 7). I am a bit concerned about adding any more sail area to the bike as its already a bit wild. Additionally later in my commute it gets really hot - about 100F - 37C and Im often lane splitting at that time at about 20mph. I dont want things to be any hotter since Im already in a full aerostitch suit and need the ventalation. Finally I have tried to lower my head about 3-4" and havent noticed that much of an improvement to the noise, though if you get your head down and forward behind the screen its completely quiet. Im 6'3" and I always wear earplugs.

I agree the seat gets pretty sore after about an hour, but thats not so bad for me since my commute is a little shorter than that. But its a problem on longer trips. Has anyone tried an AirHawk cushion? They get rave reviews and are cheaper than a whole new seat.

Tim
02 Red Capo.

jmarkey
09-08-2003, 09:47 PM
Anybody care to showoff his custom seat?

dave
09-09-2003, 05:17 PM
I have no problems with existing seat, Maybe I have more natural padding. I find it good for two hours, and by that time you probably need a walk around anyway. Regarding the screen issue see the other thred on the subject. Ihave a broblem with buffet at C90-140 ks

bmyates
09-10-2003, 11:08 AM
Here's my seat, which is 3-4" higher than the stock seat. Makes a HUGE difference in comfort, and helps stretch my long legs as well!

bmyates
09-10-2003, 11:10 AM
Another angle of my custom seat from Rich's in Seattle:

jmarkey
09-11-2003, 10:31 AM
Looks great. He does really nice work.

Aregata4x4
09-12-2003, 08:37 AM

By the way - the rear shock (Sachs) on my Mille only made it to 3500 miles. It is a 2000.5 model and was out of the one year warranty by then. I called suspension shops coast-to-coast and couldn't get anybody to rebuild it, so I had to go to Ohlins. This is one area of concerned with the Capo - Aftermarket parts availability - I can't seem to find anybody who makes a replacement shock ('cause I know the Sachs won't hold up) and I'm not interested in buying an expensive new shock that won't last long.

Penske makes a replacement shock for Capo. Here is part of the e-mail I got from them:

GOOD MORNING, PENSKE DOES MAKE A SHOCK FOR YOUR BIKE.. DOUBLE ADJ. $ 775 & TRIPLE ADJ. $1150... THE SHOCK COMES COMPLETE W/SPRING & READY TO BOLT ON. WE NEED RIDER WT. W/LEATHERS & TIRE MAKE. IT TAKES 5-10 DAYS TO GET
YOU A SHOCK.

Just go to their page and send them an e-mail in your location.

Hope this helps.

Arek