PDA

View Full Version : New exhaust question

TimmyMagic
08-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Has anyone replaced the standard cans with something like the Akrapovic SP End Cans?

I'd like to free up the engine a bit and wondered if anyone has any tales of joy or is it a waste of 500?

Megabike
08-10-2006, 06:32 AM
Hi how you going,I have just recently fitted a pair of arrow pipes and the difference is quiet noticable, my machine is an 05 model. No adjustments were needed to the mapping or the CO levels, and the sound is music to my ears, even with the baffles in the performance is much improved. I would assume that the Akropovics would be much the same.Hope this makes your decision easier
cheers

TimmyMagic
08-11-2006, 08:33 AM
Certainly nice to know, thanks :)

RossGuzzi
08-16-2006, 02:44 AM
A local mag wrote up on the pipes saying they were loud! I`m not sure how loud, I would like to know because im thinking of getting this bike and pipe.
So if anyone can compare this set up to say a Aprilia Falco with carbon pipes, or a Duke monster with Termis, I would like to know!
Cheers

TimmyMagic
08-16-2006, 05:34 AM
If you keep the baffles in I believe they're actually a fraction quieter!!!

Have a look on the Akrapovic web site and there's a chart showing power and torque increases as well as weight, sound and a whole host of other differences.

Akrapovic Product Catalogue (http://www.akrapovic-ai.si/main/catalog/products-catalog.htm)

RossGuzzi
08-16-2006, 05:36 PM
:cheers: Thanks for that!

gabriel_af
08-18-2006, 06:17 AM
Hey folks.

I have the Leo Vince ones fitted - not a noticable perfomance increase, but great sound - much louder.

I've since replaced them with the Akrapovic ones. They look bloody good. With teh sound baffles i, they are indeed quieter than the stock ones, but take the baffles out and holy shit! They are even loader than the Leo Vince ones.

They sound AAAAWWWWWSSOOOOMEEE!!!

However, here in the UK, they are too loud and technically illegal... though you don't really get stiopped over here for loud pipes unless you're driving like a twat.

I'd say for the money, get the Leo Vince or Arrows, for pure class and 'silly-loudness, go for the Akrapovics.

Have fun!

Xeno
09-05-2006, 10:28 AM
I need help deciding whether to waste 500 of hard earned cash on Akraprovic or Arrow pipes!!

My local Aprilia dealer in the Uk has a Strada fitted with the Akraprovics and without the baffles and they recon that they make a big improvement to the smoothness and torque. They are F****n load though and thats putting me off a bit.
They dont know how they sound or perform with the baffles in as they havent tried it.

Anyone know if the Akraprovics give a considerable improvement with the baffles in?

Also does anyone know if the Arrow pipes are any quieter, and how they perform?

gabriel_af
09-05-2006, 10:42 AM
Hey there, I think I can help you.

I had the Leo Vince pipes fitted. Made a great sound, not too loud but loud enough to make you grin.

I got rid of them as they started falling appart and looking a bit shitty, so I bought the Akrapovics.

They do seem to have made a slight improvement to the smoothness of the engine, but to be honest, I think that is a whole other problem - dodgy fueling I reckon, but something my mechanic is still scratching his head about.

Anyway, with the baffles in they are actually quieter than the stock. Baffles out and you could break windows, they're so loud.

My father-in-law is an engineer. He advised me to knock out the perforated grills in the baffles, which is easy enough to do - just bash them out wiht a screw driver and hammer. Then, use a hack-saw to shorten the 'inside' end of the baffles by about 1.5-2 inches. Then slide them back into the exhausts.

Hey presto, perfect sound AND technically you are still legal. I've ordered a replacement set of the baffles too, just in case for MOT time.

But they look and sound brilliant! Go on, get yor wallet out!

Xeno
09-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Thanks for that Egeneraf. Think I'll might give that a go!

Panda
09-06-2006, 03:48 PM
I have the Akro's, modded in a similar way to Eugeneraf's. I have just fitted a K+N too, and noticed the bike had leaned right off - so much for the Fi compensating.

I reset the CO2 this aternoon (it was about 2.5%) out, and it now goes much better than stock. I've done about 20 miles tonight, and compared to the stock bike I rode 15 miles or so this morning (which was spot-on) the bike is much more fre-revving and punchy.

My advise would be that if you're going to the expense of getting the cans, see if you can get a deal on the filter as well as re-setting the CO2.
The new Aprilia carbon fibre bits have Akro logos on too - the heat shield looks seriously trick! If anyones interested I'll post a photo of it. The heel plates have the logos too and I've just ordred the hand guards.

Don't tell my girlfriend.

TimmyMagic
09-07-2006, 03:07 AM
I'm interested!!!!

I'm just trying to find a way of "hiding" 500 from my wife :eek:

I'm off to get my CO levels reset and get the hand guards too....

Xeno
09-07-2006, 09:55 AM
Hey, Ive spent a fortune this week after talking to you guys!

I have ordered the Akropovic pipes with the Carbon ends instead of the all titanium ones (499).

I have also ordered the Carbon Fibre hand guards (92) and the Exhaust Shield (59).

The heel guards (59) and the sump guard (172) will have to wait until the dust settles after convincing my wife that they were essentials!!

These were the prices my dealer quoted in the UK.

I havent seen any pics of the carbon bits though only the diagram on the dealers computer. Should look cool with the Akrapovic logo's

Wouldnt mind seeing a pic if you have some Panda or a link to where they are shown!!

TimmyMagic
09-07-2006, 02:01 PM
92 for hand guards!!!!!! :WTF:

I think I'll get some different ones then :bangwall:

Panda
09-08-2006, 03:34 AM
Here's my pimped ride-
http://www.picturevillage.com/photo/data/234e5dc39dc52740524f9d863bec963c/full_24010_p336777.jpg
http://www.picturevillage.com/photo/data/234e5dc39dc52740524f9d863bec963c/full_24010_p336776.jpg

I've one customer who's fitted the BMW 650 handguards, they look made for the bike so presumably BMW use the same master cylinder. Another chap has fitted Acerbis ones, they needed a bit of modifying to clear the master cylinder and the bar end weights are on the outside of the guards.

I want them because I hate wearing bulky gloves when the weather gets cooler. It's either spend money on the handguards or spend the same on a set of Racer Pluvios gloves!

Xeno
09-08-2006, 04:45 AM
Panda, those carbon bits look fantastic, I cant wait for mine to arrive. My dealer tells me they are out of stock in Italy so it might be a long wait.
Are you in the UK? if so where did you get them from?

With regards to the hand guards they are a bit expensive but if they look as good as the other bits then I think its worth it.

I thought about fitting the Acerbis Hand Guards but I think they look too MotorX for the bike.

Panda
09-08-2006, 06:03 AM
The Aprilia parts site said they were out of stock when I orderd mine but they turned up within a week, which is the opposite of what normally happens with Aprilia parts! I got them through my work, I run a branch of a national chain (in the UK) which has the Aprilia franchise.
I only ordered the handguards a couple of days ago, I'll post a picture of them when they turn up.
I've just received my pannier rails, but they are going to make it difficult to get the bike in through my gate, so they might have to wait until the next big trip before they go on. They make the bike look a bit "rally raid" though.

Xeno
10-11-2006, 08:32 AM
Panda, Did you get the carbon Hand guards you ordered?

I've had mine on order for about 4 weeks now, my dealer called me to say they were in but when I opened the box on the counter they had sent a bloody side stand by mistake. The product code is similar.

I have got the exhaust sheild though which looks great.

Panda
10-11-2006, 03:48 PM
No handguards as yet...

I've ordered brake hoses today though-had to give specs because they haven't done them for a Pegaso yet. Gone for an all black finish. Hopefully have them on the bike Friday. Going to upgrade the pads to HH's tomorrow if the weathers nice, and try a 120 front tyre. Bet it rains!