PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Capacity

skidlid
09-05-2003, 05:22 PM
I know this has been touched on before, but these tanks aren't really 6.6 gallons, are they?I rode today for 45 minutes with the fuel light on and it still only took 5.1 gallons. By the way... the mountains of N Carolina were beautiful today:-)

silvercapo
09-05-2003, 06:10 PM
The mountains of North Carolina are _always_ beautiful, you lucky dog... :) I hope to be up there again at the end of October. Where do you ride?

silvercapo
09-05-2003, 07:26 PM
I would guess that there is 6.6 gallons of absolute volume in the tank, but not all of it is usable. When you filled your tank, was it on sidestand or center stand? That is worth a couple of tenths by itself. Also, it looks to me that there is another two to three tenths worth of air space at the top of the tank. I rode ten miles into the low level light when I last tried to check it, and was able to pack 5 gallons, on the center stand. If you allow 1.3 for reserve, and about 0.3 for expansion space at the top, then we are probably talking 6.2 - 6.3 of usable fuel. That's plenty for my butt, lol. With bags loaded, touring at 75-80 mph, I can count on about 200 miles to the low level light - I am more than ready to stop by then.

skidlid
09-05-2003, 08:40 PM
Jack,

Today I was up by Grandfather Mountain/181/221/89 and all the fun stuff surrounding that area. Tomorrow I'll probably do Deals Gap/Cades Cove/ Foothills Parkway and a few other good ones. Bikes now got 25 thousand on it and runs like a top.

Hey the Floribama riders will be at Two Wheels October 10th-11th. You gonna' make it up that way? The ADV rider gang will be there as well.

Dave

silvercapo
09-05-2003, 09:11 PM
The Floribama riders are a good bunch - I'm sorry that I won't be with them. If I make it this year, it will be later in the month. Usually I stay in the Robbinsville area, and I try to have at least one of my riding days in the week. Weekends can get a little busy, and a little bit unsafe. I like the challenge of the roads, but like to keep the odds of finding an oncoming bike in my lane to a minimum... :eek: I hate to say it, but other bikes are as much a hazard up there as anything on four wheels. On weekends, I like to get my riding in early, and then just hang out (CROT is great for bike watching and camaraderie).

Ride Safe!