PDA

View Full Version : we got in a SXV450 and RXV 450 today

Ed / AF1 Racing
08-04-2006, 04:20 PM
we got in a SXV450 and RXV450 today.....ride report coming....we're de-restricting them right now.

they are freaking sweeeeeeetttttt..........

duc slayer
08-04-2006, 04:26 PM
I take it that you got the correct cables for the axione?

Ed / AF1 Racing
08-04-2006, 04:40 PM
we already had them......

we ordered a shit-load of spares for them the other day too.....not much was in stock, but they did have at least 675 oil filters in the USA.....we bought a bunch....

duc slayer
08-04-2006, 04:45 PM
sweet mine's in appearently they just don't have the cables to deresrtict, I guess. :bangwall:

Jony2Stones
08-04-2006, 04:56 PM
sweet mine's in appearently they just don't have the cables to deresrtict, I guess. :bangwall:

:plus: :plus:

Jon / AF1 Racing
08-04-2006, 05:45 PM
Scratch that, we don't have the correct cable... Maybe we will get the correct one before September, anyone putting money down on the arrival date?

Hmmm

duc slayer
08-04-2006, 07:39 PM
:bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:

Steve / AF1 Racing
08-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Based on the power wheelies visible below, the derestricted map may not be as necessary as originally believed. But getting out the throttle stop, the exhaust restrictions, and the air intake restrictions are critical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paVxMg47QOA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edNmvjRwWMQ

Riding honors performed by Jon, of course.

Jony2Stones
08-04-2006, 08:08 PM
Sounds awesome so far!!!

Can't wait until I can bring mine home.....(damn cables....:bangwall: )

rider1
08-04-2006, 08:40 PM
I heard the cabels will be at all the dealers by next week!:cheers:

subrizisxv
08-04-2006, 08:41 PM
Based on the power wheelies visible below, the derestricted map may not be as necessary as originally believed. But getting out the throttle stop, the exhaust restrictions, and the air intake restrictions are critical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paVxMg47QOA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edNmvjRwWMQ

How did you guys reprogram the throttle position without the cable after derestricting it?

Dr. Thrillride
08-04-2006, 10:24 PM

Jon, you hooligan. Glad you guys can have fun at the office. Hope you're in good with the neighbours.

Regards!

Steve / AF1 Racing
08-04-2006, 11:17 PM
How did you guys reprogram the throttle position without the cable after derestricting it?

I'm just going to pull a Clarkie49 here and say " ;) "

But seriously, I don't know, maybe Ed or Jon will shed some light on it tomorrow.

I just did about ~12 miles on the SXV 450 and I have got to say it was worth the wait. The bike is geared for a very low top speed, 4,400 rpm in 5th is only 45mph. I'm not sure what redline is, but I saw 8,900 rpm and the engine was still making considerable steam. Top speed on my ride was a miserably slow 65mph, but I was on primarily city roads.

The bike definately likes to live above 4,000 rpm when you're riding, but that could be because we are still running the bike with a less than optimal EFI map.

The sound from the stock exhaust was quite impressive, kind of reminds me of an early Ducati 916. The stock exhuast does retain quite a bit of heat though. Enough heat to discolor the decals on the rear fairing after only about 45 minutes of riding, plus whatever running in they had performed at the factory. Ckruzel, you might want to template some black or high temp decals for the folks who stick with the stock can. The radiators also throw a lot of heat on your shins, but I was in squid gear (shorts but with a helmet, gloves, and a jacket).

The clutch pull is crf100 light, I mean, two fingers all day and no strain light.

The front brake feels strong as well, It comes on very progressive and the front suspension loaded nicely, maybe a little soft. The pump is radial mount, and the caliper is too. The rear brake appears to be very good also, I am a very textbook street rider, so I don't do very much rear brake only riding, but Jon was backing the SXV in after about 1/8th mile in the saddle, and definately praising the feel and power of the set up.

The power of the engine is difficult to pinpoint, because I have a tendency to be awed by power when I'm riding any bike for the first time. It definately has power unlike any dirtbike that I've ever sampled, and the rear wheel spun up quite a bit anytime I attempted to really hammer the throttle. This is probably largely due to the Dunlop 208s and the New Braunfels roads, many of which have not been repaved since the 60's. (Polished Marble flooring comes to mind). My brief experience leads me to feel like this bike has a power to weight ratio that is not too far off my stock '00.5 Mille

The biggest thing about this bike is the ease of handling, and light weight. A truly special bike is one that you forget you're riding. It changes directions quickly, it moves when you want it to, it just feels light and like it's not even there between your legs, on a truly balanced bike you're just flying, there is no effort, It just rides. I had only felt a bike like this once before, the SXV is the second.

The saddle height of most Motards really frustrates me, but this bike has enough sag and such a low weight (it felt a LOT lighter than the DRZ 400s that I played with about a week ago) that I instantly felt comfortable with it at stoplights and on uneven pavement. Pushing it around in the parking lot was super easy also.

I am really excited about the special and unique feeling that I got when I was riding this bike, I feel like I can really come to grips with it quickly, but still remain safe, and have enough power and overall performance to keep me interested for a long time.

I am grasping for a negative about the bike, it just feels smart everywhere. The neutral light takes it's time coming on, and the 1st to 2nd gear change is a little tough for me, but then again I've had trouble with the 1st to 2nd gear change on every bike I've ever ridden, except maybe the AF1 Racing RS50. The center of gravity is a bit high, but I am used to riding sportbikes, and this is a motard after all.

Maxacceleration
08-05-2006, 01:19 AM
Should I ask if you had street legal trim on the bike?
And did it come with it and go on well...
Will it be street licensable?.........

Racer
08-07-2006, 03:48 AM
45 mph at 4400 rpm is 122 mph at 12000 rpm, that's not low for a Supermoto. Perhaps you are still running it in but next time try to give it a lot more revs and you will find a completely different bike, at 8900 rpm the bike has just begun to make steam. ;)

I just did about ~12 miles on the SXV 450 and I have got to say it was worth the wait. The bike is geared for a very low top speed, 4,400 rpm in 5th is only 45mph. I'm not sure what redline is, but I saw 8,900 rpm and the engine was still making considerable steam. Top speed on my ride was a miserably slow 65mph, but I was on primarily city roads.

The bike definately likes to live above 4,000 rpm when you're riding, but that could be because we are still running the bike with a less than optimal EFI map.

fnfalman
08-07-2006, 12:49 PM
That sounds very promising!!! Just keep us poor folks updated as to when you guys can get these things registered as street legal.

I need a replacement for my poor, destroyed Tuono.

waxxer
08-07-2006, 01:34 PM
Can anyone provide a VIN number configuration?? Please, Please? Feel free to change numbers around if you are worried about revealing an actual VIN. But, it would be great to know where the constants are like alphabet characters etc.

Thanks,

Brian

:worship: :worship:

sporty66
08-07-2006, 02:46 PM
so what kind of horse power will the 450 have??

hank
08-07-2006, 03:48 PM
What is the rebuild schedule for these and will parts be an issue?

duc slayer
08-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Now clarkie had mentioned a power comander before the last system crash, is it possible to put one on these?

Alice Racing
08-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Yes it is, working on it currently but on 450 first.

amauri
08-07-2006, 05:13 PM
Now clarkie had mentioned a power comander before the last system crash, is it possible to put one on these?
I installed Power Commanders on some SXV550ís a couple of months ago.

Used a PC3 from another Aprilia twin and made a custom wire harness.
Also had to edit the PC3 map table so it would allow mapping all the way to redline.

dizzy
08-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Stuart - amauri is the guy who has been helping us from the states. If you come into any difficulty in setup that Darryl Atkins cant help you with then hes the guy to ask.

duc slayer
08-07-2006, 07:38 PM
I want my bike, give me my bike :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:

sorry bad day at work

Jony2Stones
08-07-2006, 07:42 PM
I want my bike, give me my bike :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:
sorry bad day at work

Did they give you any idea on the wait for the cable????

Can't wait to ride it....:D

duc slayer
08-08-2006, 09:13 AM
It was sorta vague, basically it was hopefully we'll see it next week, as in sometime this week.

MarcV
08-08-2006, 09:33 AM
It was sorta vague, basically it was hopefully we'll see it next week, as in sometime this week.

Everything from the Italians is 'vague', in the 4.5 years I worked for Aprilia they never committed to a date.

Glad to hear the bikes have finally arrived, I took stocking orders from the dealers in my region back in Oct/Nov with an expected delivery date of March/April.

Something to think about with these new bikes...this will depend on how much dirt riding you do but think about the opening on the injector versus a carb. I'm guessing that a little more care/cleaning needs to be taken if you plan to ride in the dirt, just a guess though...

Maybe next year I can actually pick up a cheap demo...:happy:

Steve / AF1 Racing
08-08-2006, 11:02 AM
What is the rebuild schedule for these and will parts be an issue?

Rebuild schedule is 5592 miles before piston replacement, or 9,000 km. At that mileage you're also supposed to check (and replace as necessary) the con rod, the oil pump gears, camshaft lobes, camshaft bearings, valves, valve guides, forks, rear shock, and a couple of other odds and ends.

The bike is competition biased for sure.

The full manual is available at www.aprilia.com Here is the link:

http://www.serviceaprilia.com/public/lum/index.asp?l=SXV%20RXV%20450-550

The service intervals are on p 118-121.

Oil changes are every 1864 miles (3,000 km).

Parts supply will likely be on par with the rest of the Aprilia model line up. Which, is, uh....

duc slayer
08-08-2006, 11:25 AM
hit or miss would be a good phrase :cheers:

BadTroll
08-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Now the question is.....are those service requirements for racing or street riding or both?:)

nineare
08-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Hey Steve, what do you think about this bike for the street?(mainly manhattan)

LuKe450
08-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Yes it is, working on it currently but on 450 first.

I'm looking forward to you guys having some nice performace 'add on' parts available for me to buy online form my SXV450 soon... Keep us informed of anything please..