PDA

View Full Version : How much gas does the tank really hold?

BigGlen
09-04-2003, 09:23 PM
Being a new Tuono owner, I was seeing how far I can go after the low-fuel light first goes on.
Well this dummy ran out of gas a mile from the gas station. After arriving at the pumps (all sweaty from the "big push"), I can only squeeze 4.4 gal into the tank. After running it completely dry, I expected it the take 4.8 gal. What gives?

Puzzled in Connecticut,
Glen

ApexMolester
09-04-2003, 09:55 PM
so, at 38mpg with 15/43 gearing and stock pistons keepint it under 80mph.........152 miles/tank before the BIG PUSH w/.4 gal. left to find fuel.

thanks, A BUNCH for doing the workout in place of me.

cornercarver
09-04-2003, 10:25 PM
I got exactly 4.4 gallons when I ran my Mille out of gas in Saouth Dakota, too. The rest of the 4.8 gallons presumably sits where the fuel pump can't get to it.

I sure wish I could get 38mpg like ApexMolester. I'm lucky if I get 32mpg running 80mph in 6th gear on the freeway for the entire tank. I've been waiting for a damn fuel pressure regulator for weeks and weeks now, and they still aren't in stock. I assume my crap mileage is due to running rich because of high fuel pressure. It certainly smells a bit rich.

--sam

mookiedog
09-05-2003, 12:34 AM
The most I've ever got into my tank is 4.5 gallons, and it sounded _real_ empty when I sloshed it side to side before starting to fill.

My last fill (this morning) was 4.2 gallons and 123 miles which is, uhh, 29.3 MPG. I guess that makes me jealous of whoever was getting 33 MPG! My commute is about 15 miles of freeway and about 7 miles of twisties up Black Road to Skyline in the Bay Area. My old Monster 900 would consistently get 42 MPG under the same circumstances.

And it's not about money: the difference btw. 42 MPG and 29 MPG is an extra day without having to stop on the way home for fillups.

-- Robin

Pimmie
09-05-2003, 01:17 AM
I've been filling her up every time the light went on now (all 500km I've done one her) and that would be after 180km, haven't really payed attention how much she needs then....

My 748 would take me 260km before asking for a refill...

Ricky J
09-05-2003, 09:26 AM
Sounds like a couple of y'all have Tuonos that run fat.

BigGlen
09-05-2003, 09:58 AM
Sounds like a fuel presure regulator might be a "required" mod if one wants to be assured of getting the best mpg for thier specific set up (stock or not).

How do you know what presure to set it at? CO emmisions?

09-05-2003, 11:35 AM
I believe fuel pressure is a set specification by Aprilia. It is checked by disconnecting a fuel line/fitting and hooking a gage up to it. Apparently it is a pain in the butt. Ken at Evoluzione has come up with a replacement fitting that has a place to connect the gage to so it makes the job much easier. His adjustable fuel pressure device also has this capability if I recall. If fuel pressure is an issue, one of his modifications (adjustable or new fitting) is the way to go.

M

Ricky J
09-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Back when we were discussing his chip Marc Salvisberg asked what kind of mileage did my Mille give on the highway? I told him that ~38mpg was typical using 6th gear at 75-85mph on the freeway (stock gearing). Marc replied that this was a good rough check of fuel pressure and mine seemed normal. He said a bike that gets thirty-ish or even below in that kind of use definitely is rich or has some other problem.

BigGlen
09-05-2003, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the good info Rick J and 525.

Sounds like I have to get a good mpg figure on my bike. Then I'll know where I stand.

If only I can find the TIME to ride it. I dont mind family getting in the way. But this "job" thing sucks! We really need three day weekends. DOnt you agree?

Manu
09-05-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Pimmie
I've been filling her up every time the light went on now (all 500km I've done one her) and that would be after 180km, haven't really payed attention how much she needs then....
Same here Pimmie and I ended up with a little less than 7 liter/100 km.
Not that bad.... My Firestorm drank a least one more liter under same riding conditions.

Ricky J
09-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Man, talk about a gasoholic! The VTR1000F had me riding on pins and needles everytime. Do we push today?

Pimmie
09-06-2003, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by Ricky J
Man, talk about a gasoholic! The VTR1000F had me riding on pins and needles everytime. Do we push today?

LOL!, [jim carrey]Do we feel lucky??[/jim carrey]

Thanx Manu, I'll pay more attention next time how much gas goes in...

pan
09-06-2003, 11:48 AM
well, when i ran out of gas it only took 16.9 L (about 4.5 gal) with the bike up straight when filling her up. I get about 14L/km (33pmg) on the average. Just took a trip with an R1 and a CBR900. The CBR would burn about 300-400 mL more than me and the R1 about 1.3 L less than me when we were filling them up. Mileage was screwed, we were doing 160-180 km/hr almost all of the way (500 km trip). I must admit I got a decent workout holding on to the bike...

BigGlen
09-07-2003, 09:04 PM
Went for a big ride today, 300miles!
I short shifted a lot because I'm still in the break-in period. Hate short shifting. "I wanna rev the piss outta her!"

So far I'm getting only about 32 miles per gallon! Thats pretty low.
Will it improve after full break-in? :confused: