PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance on a MV Agusta Brutale

vsgofast
08-01-2006, 10:00 AM
Considering a Brutale but I'm curious to know how difficult or easy it is to do maintenance on the bike? Basically, stuff like oil changes,etc. How's the part situation and are you required like Ducati to do all your service at the dealer or can you use your favorite mechanic and not worry about invalidating your warranty?

And just for laughs...how reliable is it?

lky_k9
08-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Here I am again; please don't get me wrong. I love Aprilias and I'm not trying to piss on them at all. I'd love to also have an RSVR Factory; love the looks.

My local dealer handles both Duc, Aprilia, and MV. They tell me that the MV is easier to get parts for right now than Aprilia. I personally can agree with that based on a friend who has an MV and when I had the Aprilia. Aprilia much slower on parts!!

MV builds the best helicopters in the world and a number of people, including the service guys at my shop, saw they would rather work on the MV. It is built to maintain and doing things like valve adjustments which are rare is much easier to do on the MV. Also things like all quick disconnect fuel lines are standard. Overall I've heard that the MV is one of the easiest I-4s to service.

Reliability is, in my opinion based on personal knowledge and 2 friends owning MVs is very good. They are similar to the Aprilia in that they are "industrial strength". I can't say it's better than the Aprilia because I had absolutely no problems with mine.

I have done a plug change and oil/filter change myself and it was quite easy. I will leave things like throttle balancing and CO2 settings to the dealer, but I didn't do that on my Aprilia.

I don't think any Italian exotic is great for getting parts supply, but when I weigh the realiability to need, I'm very happy. Now if I had a big time problem my tune would probably change.

I also am fortunate to have a very good dealer in my town...Portland, OR.

PS: Most of the earlier questions about torque, performance are much different if you talk about the 750 MV. It is truly a differenct beast; lives and dies on revs while the 910 has gobs of torque plus an almost never ending pull through the revs. But the 2 can't be compared fairly.

vsgofast
08-01-2006, 10:32 PM
I'm more interested in the 910. I'm glad to hear that they are well thought and well built.

Like I said the MV Agusta looks like a work of art so I didn't know if anything was placed where a person could actually work on it easily.

Basically I'm looking to buy the bike for the long haul. I'm not really interested in swapping bikes every two years. To me that seems to be a more expensive option in the long run. Buy bike, buy aftermarket parts to make it go faster, look cooler, trade to the dealer for a loss, have the balance put on top of the price of the new bike. I'd rather buy one beautiful bike and be done with it.

Infallible
08-01-2006, 11:02 PM
MV builds the best helicopters in the world and a number of people, including the service guys at my shop, saw they would rather work on the MV.

They build Sikorsky and Bell? Or is it Boeing/McDonnel Douglas?

lky_k9
08-01-2006, 11:36 PM
I believe they are in a joint venture with Bell.

formerRR
08-02-2006, 04:26 PM
I have only seen MV's in magazines and think they are beautiful bikes and would love to own one. However, I would not base my opinion of a bike on a company's history of making helicopters, that is, unless the bike has a turbine engine which most helicopters do nowadays. In fact, Agusta's helicopter history is almost always in a joint venture with another well established aircraft company. In addition, engines used (like all other aircraft manufacturers), are primarily made by other companies such as Allison, Pratt & Whitney, Rolls-Royce, etc. Nothing against Agusta, they have truly made, or helped make some amazing helo's and bikes and I would be proud to own any of their products.

lky_k9
08-02-2006, 06:40 PM
It's not just an opinion; I have done some work on MV's and they are built to be easy to get to routine maintence parts, areas, etc. My only point with the helicopter connection is that with aircraft maintenance is even more critical than with a motorcycle both in ease and reliability. Some of the most industrial/reliable engines around...Rotax....for example have past ties to aircraft engineering.

Yes, MV's more recent helicopter work has been in conjunction with other companies, but MV started off as a helicopter designer/manufacturer and in fact has stated that some of the success they had in GP racing came from their aircraft knowledge and carryover.

For example, with the F4 the full lower fairing can be removed with 4 D-rings in literally seconds. Name another brand that you can get the full fairing off in minutes, let alone seconds.

I understand you point but do think that it doesn't hurt to have complimentary design concepts to help make things better/easier/etc.

Steve

Arnie
08-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Steve,
I appreciate your great insight on the Brutale 910, I have been following your posts with keen interest. My local dealer has a slightly used 910 for sale and the bike has caught my eye. I saw pics of your 910R that you posted and I was drooling over it. Way to go dude.

vsgofast
08-03-2006, 12:50 AM
Steve,
I appreciate your great insight on the Brutale 910, I have been following your posts with keen interest. My local dealer has a slightly used 910 for sale and the bike has caught my eye. I saw pics of your 910R that you posted and I was drooling over it. Way to go dude.
:plus:
I second that. I've been looking for a bike to replace my RSV that I sold. For a while I was considering a Triumph Speed Triple but after seeing the Brutale I can't even remember what the Triumph looked like. So it looks like either Aprilia or MV is going to get my money...