PDA

View Full Version : New depositer

kneepuck
07-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Hey Guys! I am a new depositer on the SXV550 Supermoto. I have read through the posts and the maintenance issues don't scare me. I'll use on track/street. When I ordered they called into Aprilia USA and asked which engine runs in a milder state of tune and will last longer. The answer they got was the 550. Should make it a little better for the street.

I have a question. Several people here mentioned de-restricting their bikes. I assume this is due to licensing in those countries where they have tighter licensing rules. True? Or is it like the Falco, where it comes with a different restricted tune that can be bypassed?

dizzy
07-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Have a browse through the forum, all known aspects of de-restricting and any other issues people have had the need to enquire about have been discussed.

However, in short there are restrictors in the following places:

Airbox
Throttle stops
Exhaust cones

After de-restriction your bike will need to be linked with the AXONE to carry out the max throttle learn procedure, have a new map put in and the rest of the engine parameters set up.

The reasons are not 100% clear but it seems to be a combination of reliability issues and emissions laws. Also please remember that after de-restriction your warranty is invalid.