PDA

View Full Version : Scarabeo 50 Ditech "choking"

ribban
09-01-2003, 02:19 PM
What is wrong with my Scarabeo? When I was going home from work this afternoon the scooter just refused to accelerate. It started just fine, but after half a mile it started to choke, and only ran 5 mph all the way home. It happens all the time now! I start it, it goes for half a mile and then it chokes.... I have changed the spark plug, but it behaves the same way..

scootnfast
09-01-2003, 02:57 PM
I have been having a problem with my sr-50 ditech also... Although it isn't that bad... I can usually do about 55MPH flat out, but for some reason, it seems like when i ride for a good bit of a distance, it starts to do the same thing, only mine will only slow to about 40 MPH instead of 5. It only seems to do this when it starts to get hot. When the engine cools for a while, I am right back into the 55MPH range.

I was reading about the oil... I am going to try changing it. Read this posting and see what I am talking about: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8428

Let me know!

ribban
09-01-2003, 03:20 PM
The oil issue is very interesting. But notice that the problems for "Duc995" started when he switched from the original oil to the Motul 510. So I don't really believe that changing oil will help. But please let me know if you try! I don't know what to try next. Any ideas?!?!

scootnfast
09-01-2003, 04:00 PM
No he switched to motul 600, which is a fully sythetic oil... He was using a semi synthetic oil before. Motul 510 is semi synthetic also. The fully synthetic is supposed to be mixed with the gas before putting into the cylinder. with the ditech motors, the oil is injected directly into the cylinder with the gas.

I am going to try and switching to the 510 from the 600 soon. I will see if it does make a differance.

phidauex
09-02-2003, 02:15 PM
The motul 600 should work fine in an injection oil setting, it doesn't need to be premix. Also, most fully synthetics work fine in injector situations. I use Silkolene pro-scoot fully synthetic in my ditech, and it has been very happy for 2000 mi (3200 km).

One thing might be transmission heating.. Especially if you have strong contra springs, a lot of pressure is going to be exerted on the belt, meaning more friction, meaning more heat. Transmission cases usually get hot, but if it seems like its getting exceptionally hot, especially when the scooter stop performing, then that might be an issue.

ribban, does the engine sputter and cough, or does it seem to run ok, just not accelerating? What I'm getting at, is does it feel like the engine itself is having problems, or does it feel like maybe the transmission isn't delivering the power to the wheels properly?

peace,
sam

ribban
09-02-2003, 04:06 PM
After a few minutes drive in top speed, the engine starts to break. And it continues to break until I release the gas. And when the scooter is down at around 5-10 mph the engine stops to break, and the scooter runs again. But the engine sounds really strange! Anything but smoothe. And sometimes there comes little "farts" from the exhaust system. Especially when I give a little to much gas. I've tried different spark plugs, but with no result...

scootnfast
09-02-2003, 07:06 PM
I know this sounds stupid, but check your air filter. It may be something as simple as that... I doubt it, but it never hurts. I guess it is possible that if your filter is clogged, when the motor is cool, it is acting as a choke, but as the engine warms up, it needs more air. I guess if your filter was dirty it might have this type of an effect. To the extent of the problem you are having, I really doubt that this is the problem, but it never hurts to check it.

The other thing is, I wonder if there might be something wrong with your choke. Has anyone heard of a choke going bad on one of these things?

phidauex
09-02-2003, 07:52 PM
If its a choke problem, we should probably know if this is a Scarabeo Ditech, or just a regular carbed Scarabeo... I was assuming it was a ditech, because of the forum, but I suppose he doesn't actually mention if its a ditech or not. If its not the ditech, then there may be a choke problem. Air filter is a good thing to check too.

peace,
sam

ribban
09-03-2003, 05:34 AM
I mention in the subject line that it is a Ditech. Is there a choke on the ditech???

ribban
09-03-2003, 05:35 AM
And where is the air filter located?

phidauex
09-03-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by ribban
I mention in the subject line that it is a Ditech. Is there a choke on the ditech???

You're right, my bad!

Anyway, the ditech doesn't have a choke, since that would be a part of a carb. However, the air filter is worth looking at. I'm not 100% sure where it is on the scarabeo, but I think it is right above the transmission case. It should be a rather large black box, with a hose running out of it toward the engine. You can open it, and find a foam filter. This filter can be cleaned out and reoiled if it looks dirty or clogged. You can check your manual for more information, it should have the basic instructions for cleaning the air filter.

peace,
sam