PDA

View Full Version : Whats the bike like

clockwork
07-05-2006, 02:45 PM
I have just sold my 05 rsvr and i am interested in getting a Strada. I canít get a test ride anywhere near and was wondering what people thought of them. I have tested the Yamaha MT03 which has the same engine as the strada and liked it a lot. Is there anyone who has moved from a 1000 sports bike to the Strada and not regretted it?

Sye
07-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Hi Clockwork,
If you're London then Wheel Power in Raynes Park have a demo bike. I think it looks very good but not ridden it yet - demo soon. Looks very well put together and I a-fucking-dore that small lamp/screen/speedo/headset assembly. Sorry, I can't compare the same bikes but I have an '04 R1 and a Capo. If I *had* to sell one of them the Yam would go. The trail style of bike is just so easy to ride, traffic splitting is brill due to the riders position and view ahead and for riding poor types of road surface, particularly bumpy, gravelly or broken tarmac then the trail bike is untouchable. Having said that I'd miss the R1 big time for the shear power and brilliance of it (I've also ridden Mille's) on smooth fast roads or, of course, the track but that's another story. Really depends on what type of riding you actually do and how much you want to keep your license.... ahem..!

clockwork
07-08-2006, 06:38 AM
Hi Sys,

Thanks for the reply.

My bike before the RSVR was a KLV1000 (Suzuki Vstrom) with to be fair was the best do anything bike i have had and was great on poor tarmac.

I am looking at the Strada hoping i will be able to have fun on it at low speeds. I got to the point where i was always riding the RSVR fast and with all the traffic cops around here it was only a mater of time before a lost my license.

The bike looks well finished and i can get a uk bike for £3999 otr.

Sye
07-08-2006, 08:27 AM
That sounds a good price. Where/who? WP have it listed at umm.. four six I think? I haven't hassled them for a knock down or extras (luggage deal or something).
Another bike I'd consider is the XT660 with the high line pipes. Same motor as you know. Seen a few on fleabay for like two five to three for a year/18 month old bike -might be worth a look for you. I think the 'prilla looks a nicer bike but then Yam service and parts availability is excellent. Aprilia's? - don't make me laugh.

Drop back in if you get a test ride or make a purchase, as given your previous bike experience, I'd be interested to hear your views.

All the jolly!

clockwork
07-08-2006, 01:27 PM
The bike is £3999 at Taz motorcycles (tazmotorcycles.co.uk) in Peterborough. They are an official uk dealer and if serviced by them they offer a 3 year warrenty. I have looked at the Yamaha but i prefer the look of the strada and i think it has a little more power and diablo tyres. I hope to get a test ride next week and i will let you know what 50bhp is like.

Sye
07-08-2006, 04:42 PM
50hp is fine - I rode 11,000km round New Zealand on a BMW650GS. You wonder where the powers gone coming from a litre bike but you'll soon adjust to the speed and grunt available. In many ways it can be more fun winding up the little motors and riding the bike to it's limits. For every day riding it was just plain good, practical fun. In my case there was thousands of km of 'metalled' roads (Gravel to you and me) in NZ and they were just a blast on a light-weight bike. Foot down and gas-it through the bends. Lovely. On the tarmac roads, as long as your not maxxing it out everywhere - it can get vibey on a single, it was fine. A few times I thought 'Now 120 hp would be nice here' on some billiard table smooth fast sweepers but hey you make the best of what you got. ((There's a piccy on the last page of 'Show me your Caponord' P.58 of Beemer and NZ - check it out))

Right, I'll shut up now.

rodrigo
07-09-2006, 06:17 PM
I have the Trail/Enduro version, which is a little uglier than the Strada (one of the most beautiful bikes I've seen lately), but has the same engine. So far, I can tell it is a pleasure to ride it, very manageable in curves and very good response in low rpm. Of course, the trail/enduro version has the advantage of being good enough for off-road, but with the Strada you have a very nice looking bike (I decided to buy the Trail one because of its off-road capabilities, but the Strada really caught my eyes).

So, yeah, I'd suggest you to buy it, you'll have a great bike, good enough to leave some racing ones behind you in mountain roads :)

TimmyMagic
08-09-2006, 04:36 PM
My previous bike was a 600 Bandit and I changed that for the same reason you're thinking of. I was riding everywhere at full throttle and 130mph through rush-hour traffic isn't clever:confused:

I do miss the power a little, but I tend to go a slightly different route now to work and back and the Strada handles MUCH better than the Bandit round the twisties...

Morgan
08-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Hi there,

I posted a review of the Strada, but it seems to have vanished?

Let me see if I can find it elsewhere....

Morgan
08-09-2006, 06:55 PM
Found it - just as well I posted it on the Club Aprilia forum, otherwise I'd never remember what I wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey,

I had some spare time and took a test ride on one of these bikes (2006 current model). Here's a review - nothing technical or serious. Just a few impressions.

Looks:

It looks like a really strange little monster. From the side profile, it's hard to work out if it's a trail or city bike, but like a road bicycle, culled from a mountain and racer bike, I guess the Pegaso verges on the trail bike cosmetics, without actually having trail bike capacity.

From the front, it's odd as the one I had didn't have a windscreen! It was more like a naked bike. Hmm.

Seating:

Very low set seat. The seat also has a higher rear than middle, so it's possible to slide down to the front of the seat during a ride. At times I had to push myself to sit on the ledge portion of the rear part. Very easy to reach the ground. Unfortunately, it feels like sitting in a car. The bike seats the rider perfectly upright. A bit of a change for anyone coming from an RSVR.
Good visibility too.

Gearing:

A bit of a mess as the one I test rode red-lined at 6K. Looks like it only had a few hundred miles on it. Is this a single 650cc? The engine seems to dither up to around 20mph and then needs shunting into 2nd gear fast. Crashing down the gears isn't anywhere as smooth as a V-twin either. It's fun and easy to change gears, and I'm still the first to shoot off from the traffic lights, although at times, it takes a bit more effort to shake off cars.
Smooth gear box and easy neutral position to find. Very low gearing makes it easy to cruise and filter through traffic. It's so steady at filtering speeds too. I'm impressed. Higher speeds, it's a bit wobbly, but how many people are seriously going to try doing 90 on a naked bike anyway....

Clutch control is very smooth and not lumpy anywhere. If I had to resit my advanced motorcycle test and do figures of 8, this would be my ideal bike to do it....

Brakes:

Generally terrible! But I'm spoilt with Brembos so it was a bit of a reality test coming down to earth. Slightly soft, but the rear brake was fine. The bike turns wide compared to my V Twin. For the first hour, I was dithering across to the opposite side of the road almost when concentration slipped...

Dashboard:

Clean and digital looking. I prefer analogue dials with red lights and this one is a completely modern digital board. The fuel guage is shown in number of bars, as is most everything else. I can't remember what the rev meter was like - it wasn't very memorable, but it did work. Anyone migrating from a car to a Pegaso should enjoy the dashboard - it's functional and easy to operate.

The indicator switches and the horn are back to front!! At least for Aprilia. After getting used to the RSVR's horn position and indicators (reversed compared to other superbikes), the Pegaso is there to confuse me yet again! Nice to see the addition of hazard lights in this model too.

Fuelling:

This is the weirdest bit. There is no fuel cap on the top of the tank for the key to enter. A switch on the side of the left handlebar opens up the fuel tank underneath a capsule! Seems very good and economical on riding. Through the city, I survived riding for a few hours on 1 bar of fuel (dunno - don't ask how much that translates to - probably 2 pounds of petrol).

Riding around:

Better at 2nd gear onwards - 1st gear seems limited and had a mild jitter around 18mph before I pushed on to 2nd. Very easily balanced, but I won't be trying to kneeslide on this anytime soon. Wheelies aren't going to happy accidentally on the Pegaso either! The low seating position makes it ideal for anyone who is afraid the ground is falling. I found it a little too low, often trying to keep my feet away from cars in the nearby lanes. It's a light motorcycle so it shouldn't be too hard to push around either.

Overall Impression:

Definitely a fun bike for city roads, bumpy roads and more fun. The shop asked if I was going to trade my RSVR Factory in exchange for the Pegaso (like not!!!). I did take it out for most of an afternoon. The upright position is very easy and the handlebars are not elevated, so there's little arm strain, unlike other cruisers. It's a fun bike for the city, easy to ride for newcomers and would do just as well as a second bike for running around cities, light touring etc. I gather these are quite cheap too. Definitely a practical motorcycle. Not the most refined engine around, but it's easy going and very smooth. Manoeuvrable and lightweight.

If I could afford a second motorcycle, I guess this would be it

Cheers,

Morgan

TimmyMagic
08-10-2006, 05:24 AM
Strange that, almost opposite to my experiences....

Seating: Sit right forward and ride it like a supermoto for the most fun. It handles much better then too.

Gearing: You can manually adjust the rev limiter. If it's only done a couple of hundred miles it's probably set low to run it in. There is a bit of a hum at between 3,5k and 4k in second and third, but I've been told a new exhaust and air filter might sort that out. May be need hooking up to a Power Commander too.

Brakes: Mine came with Brembo's as standard and I find the front better than the rear. But that might be down to my seating position.

Riding around: I can wheelie mine in first or second at will :) As for knee sliding, why would you want to? Ride it supermoto style and push the bike down into corners and you'll get round them much quicker.

Go to the main www.aprilia.com website and watch the video of it in action to see what you can do :)

gabriel_af
08-18-2006, 06:23 AM
I've had mine for over 1 year now. I think I was the first UK bike on the road.

It's a great little bike (i've done about 5k miles), but I have had problems with excess surging and juddering around 3,500 to 4,000 revs.

Oh, and as for parts, yeah, they are Italian in every respect. I'm currently waiting for a new dash (the backlighting in mine went, so while it's still under warranty I've got a new one on order), but Italy 'shut down' over august, so God knows when I'll see it.

Anyhoo, appart from the surging it's been fun to ride, but add to the surging issue the failing dash light, dead pixels in the dash display and also the servo wire that opens the cubby hole snapping(!) I'm not overly impressed with the quality of the bike.

Maybe that's a symptom of being a first generation bike, maybe it's just a bit slack on Aprilia's part.

Either way, while I do love it, I do feel that I have 'settled for it' as there's no other bike out there I like better... maybe BMWs rumoured 2 new 650 models this year will change that???

...or maybe I should just get the MT-03 or XT660 that I still keep my roving eyes on....

TimmyMagic
08-18-2006, 06:56 AM
I've had mine for 5 months now and done about 4k miles. The only problem so far is the headlight dip/main switch blew about 3 months ago after that horrendous rain we had. I didn't WD40 the switches afterwards and I should have :pissed:

But when I bought it I really wanted a "proper" supermoto but decided against it. I'm getting the hankering for some real hooning around at the weekends again. And while the Strada is a great bike for everyday use and still quite a lot of fun, it's not the "wheelie off the throttle" supermoto I still crave.

I'm seriously considering getting something like a Vespa GTS250 for commuting and something like a CCM R30 for the weekends....

Panda
08-18-2006, 07:02 AM
I'm just back from a 1400 mile trip round Europe two up on mine. The only thing I'm going to change before I next go on such a trip is the seat; I've tried the high seat and it wasn't much comfier but it made the bike feel like the tyres were soft, so I'm going to have the one I have modified.

I've fitted
the Aprilia screen (directs air at your lid more, if your lid isnt a tight fit then it'll shake at 80-90mph! Recommended though),
the luggage rack (great),
small top box (not great, buy a Kappa one!The hinges broke on my first one)
Akro's (fantastic!too loud without baffles though).

Most days we did about 200 miles a day and neither of us have any aches or pains. The bike ran faultlessly, most of the time cruising at 75-80 mph (I was touring - why would you want to go any faster?!) on all sorts of roads. The sort of roads we wanted to use (and the fact that it pissed it down a lot of the time) meant that the Pegaso was a much better tool than any of the clumsy touring bikes we saw.

I bought the Pegaso after years of sportsbikes and I've worked in the bike trade for about 10 years too so I've ridden a lot of bikes. The Pegaso is the most fun bike I've ridden in ages, I actively want to go and ride it - I've almost done as many miles since I bought it at the end of May as I did on my last bike in three years. I pick my bike over our demo bikes when we go for a run after work and you don't feel you have to take it all as seriously as you do when you go out on a big sports bike, so you're more likely to just jump on and go for a half hour blast.

Before I bought my bike I did a 500 mile round trip on a Pegaso Trail (not quite as sharp as the Strada, but quite often a better road bike for it) and a couple of hundred on a demo Strada. I've even ridden one for TV cameras filming a promotion for a chocolate bar...

The surging I've seen people ask about is just a trait of big singles and twins - changing down a gear will cure it. If you think the Peg's bad for it you should try riding an old Ducati!

TimmyMagic
08-18-2006, 09:08 AM
Panda, do the Akro's make that much difference even with the baffles in?

Panda
08-18-2006, 11:27 AM
It feels like there's a bit more torque from 4-6000 rpm, but that could well just be an illusion caused by the nice sound they make! My bike definately does feel fitter than any of the others I've ridden though. They look gorgeous too, they really set the bike off. Plus, if you take the baffles out you can modify them, then put them back in and no one is any the wiser, but thats our little secret, OK?!

The stock cans weigh a ton and have cat convertors in them, and there's usually a 10% gain to be had from ditching them on most bikes. I've got a K+N waiting to go in too, but I didn't want to fit it until I came back from my trip in case I buggered up the fuelling. There looks like a lot of scope for opening up the air box too, but I'm waiting for a new intake trumpet before I start buggering about with that in case it makes things too noisy, or again, buggers up the fuelling.

TimmyMagic
08-18-2006, 02:42 PM
Excellent stuff. Where did you get them and what did you pay if you don't mind me asking? My local dealer's just quoted me £510 fitted....

Panda
08-19-2006, 10:03 AM
List is £571 if I remember rightly. I work in the bike trade so I got them a bit less than that.
£510 fitted is a very good price as there's a bit of work involved - you need to remove the seat panels to fit the brackets. The dealer isn't making a lot of money at that - top notch bike gear never has as good a margin as cheapo stuff believe it or not.