PDA

View Full Version : oil lamp symbol on dash ?????

teej710
07-03-2006, 02:44 PM
A little oil lamp symbol has appeared on my digital dash (not the oil warning light). The bike has done about 200 miles (330km approx). This doesn't seem to be in the manual (unless i've missed it). Any ideas ????????

bounty
07-03-2006, 04:08 PM
A little oil lamp symbol has appeared on my digital dash (not the oil warning light). The bike has done about 200 miles (330km approx). This doesn't seem to be in the manual (unless i've missed it). Any ideas ????????
That's the 15 hours service... at 45 hours you will have another symbol (a tool). To reset these symbol, press the scroll button and turn the contact key until you get the "ws" in the right corner of the dashboard. You can then clear those symbole and set the interval at witch you want them to appear.

teej710
07-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Thanks Bounty,

Don't want to sound thick, but whats the contact key, Ive got an SXV, does it have one ???

Here's a laugh, Neither the dealer or Aprilia technical knew what the symbol was and what it meant. The dealer guessed it had summat to do with oil changes....., but said they expected a spanner, as there's no such symbol in their manuals :bangwall:

waxxer
07-04-2006, 05:56 PM
Hi Teej,

I have been following your comments in 2 threads. In summary, it sounds like you are basically unhappy with this bike. I am waiting for one in the states and I have concerns that it may not meet my requirements.

Is it really that useless in restricted form? May I ask you to be a bit more descriptive? For example, it does not produce any torque or revs but does not produce power where you can use etc.

Any detailed input would be greatly appreciated. It is serious eye candy. Then again what good is a Ferrari that is on blocks most of the time?

I have had girls friends like this and they were not worth the maintenance.:confused:

duc slayer
07-04-2006, 06:20 PM
yes but how was the sex??????????

waxxer
07-04-2006, 07:45 PM
Interesting Point!:cheers:

bounty
07-05-2006, 03:08 AM
Thanks Bounty,

Don't want to sound thick, but whats the contact key, Ive got an SXV, does it have one ???

Here's a laugh, Neither the dealer or Aprilia technical knew what the symbol was and what it meant. The dealer guessed it had summat to do with oil changes....., but said they expected a spanner, as there's no such symbol in their manuals :bangwall:

Sorry, I'm french speaking, so my (technical) english is not that good.

Would "ignition key" be the better term? The key you need to turn to get the electronics switched on. Keep the left hand red "scroll" button pressed while switching on the bike and keep it pressed until you get the the symbole mentionned above.

teej710
07-05-2006, 03:27 AM
Hi waxxer

Don't know if the restrictions will be the same in the states as the UK, but if they are, then the bike really is useless.

The real problem comes down to the throttle sensing, i think. The restriction prevents you from accelerating in any form and i'm not talking about opening the thing up, literally u can only use about a 1/4 throttle. It prevents you from overtaking without plenty of advance planning and turning as you are pulling away from stop signs is particularly hazardous, cuz the engine will start missing and the bike tucks in under you.

The throttle sensing and ECU mapping make the bike misfire right when you need the power. So you just can't use any power or torque it might have. If you feed the throttle gently, then you can make steady progress, but thats about it. Top speed of 70 mph (120 kph) is achievable. It won't struggle with inclines etc and pulls top gear cleanly from 45 mph (75 kph)

I hated it in restricted form, but in unrestricted form it is a totally different beast. Its everything you'd expect, but there again it is a competition bike on the road. The drawbacks are the fact the it is a competition bike, high maintenance and any issues are blamed on the fact the it is a competition bike.

On the road, my bike gets very hot, not helped by a high tickover as stop signs etc, which the dealer claims is the normal tickover range (2500 rpm), but not according to this forum.

The model is very new, both the dealers in the UK and Aprilia tech support haven't really got a clue about this bike, which makes things very flustrating, when trying to identify what normal behavior is for a road version. The standard reply has been "All the other unrestricted bikes are being used on the track with no problems"

It is serious eye candy, and in unrestricted form, a serious toy, but you need to seriously consider if you can live with it as a road bike. This is a second bike for me and used when I want a sunday afternoon scratch around the twisty roads, where i live. I couldn't use it as a main day to day bike.

I hope these comments help. Feel free to ask other questions.

If your girlfriends were in unrestricted form, then wow who !!!!!!! what a ride you must have had !!!! LOL

Teej

waxxer
07-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the information! Yep, I am looking to spend time on the circuit verses the street. I anticipate a real thoroughbred steed of a motorcycle. We will have to compare notes to see if there is any difference between the European and USA models.

As far as girlfriends go, here in the USA most Catholic girls pitch their restrictions with vigor and try to make up for lost time!:burnout:

teej710
07-05-2006, 02:46 PM
thanks bounty, that makes sense now

teej710
07-05-2006, 02:56 PM
waxxer, can't see you being disappointed with a SXV on the track. Quite a few lads race them in the UK at club level and they are regularly winning. Let me know how you get on.

teej

Matthew Roche
07-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Hi Waxxer,

Oil level system is ridiculous. To have to start an engine to see how much oil is in it says it all. There should be a sight glass in the oil tank (seeing as it is dry sump).

I have been racing my SXV450 in the Irish SM championship in 2 rounds (National level). Both rounds I was 1-3 second outside qualifying time. I always qualify on my CRF450 no problem so last weekend I parked up the SXV and rode my Honda as I could not afford to lose any more points in championship. I qualified 9th overall and finsihed 8th in race. Explantion...........no initial 'pulling' torque on SXV. I contacted ny dealer and told them that I was not going to race the bike again until Aprilia could deliver me what I was supposedly sold, 'A rocket ship'. I had this bike dyno'ed and it is putting 56Hp to rear wheel so power is not an issue, just how and where is is putting it down.
Initially, before last round I did the following:
I cut open the air box and removed the baffle plate at the front. Replaced the panel filter with a foam filter from an RSV (which fits just nice). I ran gearing as 15 front/ 51 rear and I was having to ride the wheels off the thing to get it to keep with the CRF's out of the slower bends. As this was practice before the next days racing, the current leader of the Irish Championship and 5th place runner in MotoGB (British championship), tried the bike and was 3 secs a lap slower than on his own bike. 3 secs.........

Hence I contacted my dealer and said something has to be done.

So, Aprilia took a stock SXV450 ad put it on a dyno. They tested all maps and found that the 14002 map which is in mine is designed to deliver good emmissions for everyday riding but the mixture is lean. Therefore I am getting the 'Termignoni exhaust' map 14004 which will deliver more fuel down low. It will not be vastly differnt but will help. I am not running a race exhaust as they are not consistent in quality and I cannot afford to buy 5 of them to see whcih one is o.k.
Next I was old by Aprilia to put back the air box the way it was. They are sending me a new box as opeing the box was also contributing to a leaner mixture. Makes sense when you think about it.

Aprilia are also sending me a 13 tooth and 14 tooth front sprocket. For very tight track, I am going to run the 13 front with a 50 rear. This will make 1st gear redundant so will use 2nd gear for 180 Deg corners but it shold have more of a whack from bottom.

I was told to adjust my riding style to accelerate about a second or so earlier than I would on a 'Single' as the SXV is smoother and will not be so inclined to step out under acceleration. Basically, keep up the corner speed a little.

I think the SXV is a good bike, albeit with a few teethng problems. However, its handles and slides very well, great feedback and control. I am still confident that the bike will be made more competitive in a couple of months as we learn a bit more as it is still relatively new and Aprilia company are not the most forthcoming with info (I specifically flew to Aprilia factory in Italy to order mine initially and unhelpful is an understatement).

I will let you know how these mods went when I get them done at the End of July at the British Championship.

Hat off to my dealer in Wales who has been fantastic. Very helpful and willing to address the issues.

Matt

yellow.speedy
07-11-2006, 05:15 AM
Hello You,

i can help you with the technical datasheet for the cockpit. It is a german document by Aprilia SXV Community. You can use it by translate. It is helpful.

teej710
07-11-2006, 07:44 AM
thanks yellow.speedy

I'll try and get it translated