PDA

View Full Version : V-twins 2nd 3rd & 4th

Bill in OKC
08-30-2003, 09:15 PM
I know this ain't MotoGP, but there isn't a Superbike forum??? I was very happy to see a Ducati in the front pack at today's AMA superbike race. The guy was doing great in 3rd and then for some reason thought the race was over when he saw the white flag and finished 4th. It sounds like there will be a factory Vance & Hines Ducati team next year. Also the rules are changing again to give more advantage to V-twins. When will we see an Aprilia effort in AMA?

Fox
08-30-2003, 09:21 PM
Well they sure have managed to stuff up world superbikes ... it seems even DUCATI is not going to run an official factory team next year ... and they were the only ones in the first place!

I'm think SuperStock is where the hot racing is going to be (in Europe anyway). I thing the 2004 RSVs will dominate ..

Bill in OKC
08-30-2003, 09:27 PM
I need to get a SKY sports link here in the US so I can watch all of those great European races.

Ricky J
08-31-2003, 01:08 PM
All year long Mladin has been playing the "it ain't my bike, you ladies need to try harder tune..." I look forward to next season when they tell him the same thing! Mat's already getting teary about the 2004 rules...payback's a mvthafvcka.
I hope Eric pounds him with that new ZX-10R!

le_turbo55
08-31-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Ricky J
All year long Mladin has been playing the "it ain't my bike, you ladies need to try harder tune..." I look forward to next season when they tell him the same thing! Mat's already getting teary about the 2004 rules...payback's a mvthafvcka.
I hope Eric pounds him with that new ZX-10R!

uhh... I think eric bostrom's zx-10r will suffer under the same rule too. with honda defintely retiring the vtr, i can only see the rule benefiting the ducati, but that's only if they decide to be serious about AMA.

montereyrsvr
08-31-2003, 11:14 PM
Regardless, the point IS, Aprilia needs to be in every major race event world wide. Brand Name Recognition. Gotta mix it up to get noticed, get noticed = sales, sales = profit, profit = R & D, R & D = winning, etc....

JJ_008
09-01-2003, 01:26 AM
With the new rules next year Aprilia and Ducati would be crazy not to enter into the AMA superbike. Dunlop has a lot of work to do if Ducati enters with there WSB Spec Michelins. I just can't see Ducati giving up those Michelins in WSB for Pirelli's..

Bill in OKC
09-01-2003, 10:36 AM
I just read that V-twins finished 1st, 3rd and 4th at the second AMA race today. Kurtis finally wins one by holding off Yates.

Ricky J
09-01-2003, 11:44 AM
Despite the loosening of rules concerning twins it's not assured that any factory twins will be competing. Yeah, Ducati- maybe. Honda will be running their new RCB multi-cylinder and not the RC51. Regardless, I think the Suzuki guys will have it the toughest: those 2004 rules specify a stock throttlebody arrangement for the big fours and GSX-Rs come standard with one injector per cylinder, not twin injectors like the Yoshimura team has used this year. Honda's new bike is said to use dual injectors, and the new ZX-10R looks like it has something trick too. Life will be significantly tougher for Mr. Mladin next year, and not just because twins have been revitalized. I really doubt he'll even finish "first four-cylinder".

montereyrsvr
09-01-2003, 06:52 PM
I confess ignorance. What are the motivating factors for the yearly changes in the Moto GP and WSBK specifications? Is it simply technology driven/factory marketing/advertising pressure, or do the race governing bodies decide to shake up the classes for other reasons?

Ricky J
09-02-2003, 03:42 AM
The more manufacturers are involved the more interesting things generally are, which benefits everybody. But the manufacturers all like to have at least some shot at fame and glory and that requires the series promoters to carefully monitor and adjust the rules to level the playing field...at least in theory! Like anything else in life you cannot make 100% of the people happy 100% of the time, and some factories will pick up their toys and split. There are other reasons for tweaking rules such as safety and to cut the costs of racing.

montereyrsvr
09-02-2003, 04:35 AM
Any guestimate at total cost to field a team of two riders for a years worth of racing on the MotoGP circuit? Salary alone for a top rider must be in the seven digits? $250,000 per bike?...

bob of fl
09-02-2003, 07:46 AM
A MotoGP effort costs approximately 9 to 14 million per rider per year. Rider cost and testing represent variance.

A WSBK effort is 5 to 9 million per rider per year.

Slider
09-02-2003, 06:34 PM
Changing rules is a very tricky game which if done right can spark great competition ie; AMA Supersport ......or if wrong can kill competition ie; WSBK......Ducati (niche mfg) crying & potentially getting a break in the AMA is crazy........they ruined WSBK by restrictions on Suzuki plus Honda left. If they want to race in USA then create a Ducati only class like BMW motorad & really push your brand......don't rain on everyone else's parade......The other mfgs have supported racing in US for years....Ducati is stretching itself & they would pull out faster than you could say Italy if the wind changed direction.

AMA Supersport (& Moto GP is good too) is best example...........set the rules & let each mfg work hard to compete by improving their production bike. So in the last few years you have seen close racing, big fields, good riders & the major mfgs (Kawa is still catching up) winning........and they are selling a ton of bikes.

Mladin - He's no charmer......but he can ride his ass off. Yeah, his bike is good........but it does not get to the finish line by itself. He's the smoothest, one of the most talented & a tough competitor. Think about it, he's not doing crazy things, not pushing other guys off the track, throwing it away, etc. His save at Road Atlanta is enough to give him respect.

It's funny when a team(Honda & Kaw) feels they are outgunned. They forget when they (Honda) outgunned others like last year on the RC51. Kawasaki is crazy to bring a 750 to race againist 1000s anyway but had decent results. So if they win next year I'm sure they will feel sorry for their competitors..........not. Suzuki/Yosh read the rules & spent a lot of $$$$ to improve their bike...............it's all part of the game.......just don't change the rules dramatically to target any brand/bike or it will ruin the game.

No matter what......you still need the right combination of equipment, team, $$$$ & rider to win a championship. Mladin & Yates have earned their results with Yosh..........

dowzerr
09-03-2003, 03:06 AM
talking of Eric Bostrom, it looks like he might be riding the Kawasaki MotoGP bike next year.

Smoke Eater
09-03-2003, 07:46 AM
He got confused when he saw the white flag and thought the French army was there.